1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

upright freezer into kegerator

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by raczkowski, Dec 21, 2012.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i know people say get chest freezers...do any of you ever get the upright freezers and make kegerators that way? the only issue i could see is putting the tap into the door? just curious as my brother has one of these and probably will not be using it anymore.

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (390) New York Sep 1, 2004

yes, this can be done.
    the big issue is the freezer must have removable shelves. some freezers have cold coils built into the wire racks. these can not be removed. the frost free freezers typically use forced air and will have removable shelves.

you must be certain you know where to drill in any event. there will likely be coils in the sides of the box but not in the door.
    Cheers.

3. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

my brother's has removeable shelves...its actually a refridgerator/freezer combination where you have an option to use it as fridge or freezer...i may just use it as a fridge to keep my other beers as a cellar...not sure yet what hes going to do with it at the moment.

4. This is probably the easiest thing to convert then as long as you don't mind the tap coming through the door. All you have to do is drill the hole (drill a small pilot hole first so you can drill from both sides, this will make it easier and cleaner since hole saws or spade bits can get a little messy punching through the back of something), insert a shank, and tighten it down, and hook up the tubing. Voila, instant kegerator. All in all you should be able to complete everything including hooking up all the connections in under an hour.