1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ups vs. fed ex

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by MPLSbrewer, Jan 19, 2013.

1. hey guys,
    What is your opinion on the better(cheaper)company?
    I have always gone with fedex to ship beer basically for convenience, but i'm reconsidering because it seems like in the past few weeks the shipping prices have been going through the roof (25 bucks last night to send 3 4packs to cali). Is UPS better?
    also Im shipping from Minneapolis
  2. ups and fedex shipping rates increased by approx 5% recently, but i used fedex to ship three 6paks and a bomber from new england to illinois recently and they charged me 24.50.
  3. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

In my experience, UPS tends to be a little nosier about the content of the package...
    JPortillo likes this.
  4. Fed Ex is plenty nosy them selves.... Shipped a box yesterday, and she said "Its sloshing, what exactly is in here?" Of course I gotta get that Olive Oil out!
    JxExM likes this.
  5. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Never had a damaged package with UPS, multiples with Fedex.
    exitmusic00 and cavedave like this.
  6. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

My experience has been exactly the opposite - 3 broken/destroyed packages with UPS in the past year, NONE with FedEx. I think my UPS guys deliberately try to break them if they feel there might be beer inside - and no, I'm not being paranoid:) I have literally seen the UPS delivery guy slam them onto my front steps at an angle, trying to bust them open. I will only use FedEx.
  7. I work in shipping and UPS has proven to be brutal with the way they handle packages. Also had them misdeliver a computer I ordered and left it on the neighbors door, even though it required a signature.
  8. Both have there ups and downs probably a draw i do think tracking is better for Fed-Ex from their site,whichever you choose you should open up an account with them it makes the whole process better
  9. Thanks everyone, I think by the sounds of it I will stick to fed ex!
  10. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

No difference with either company. It is Russian Roulette with either of them. Your number was up with Fedex. We deal with somewhat fragile, and contraband merchandise, so our risks are higher.
  11. tgchief

tgchief Savant (270) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Go brown. Never a late yeast delivery! EVER!
    founder26 likes this.
  12. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Just curious because I have yet to ship beer to someone. How do you guys package it to ensure it's as safe as it can be?
  13. Wrap it better than a newborn baby in 30 below weather. put it in some sort of sealed plastic so if anything breaks it doesn't leak out, then just make sure the box is packed tight so nothing can move around.
    TomClem likes this.
  14. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I've had better luck with Fedex and they are a little cheaper, but he main reason I use fedex is they deliver faster and a person on the other coast can have a box in the same week I send... that is not the case with UPS. One negative for Fedex is they screwed up their website and it's a PITA now.
  15. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

The price drops depending on the size of the box
  16. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

tut2528, Lognar and GFG like this.
  17. I started out with UPS, and have since switched to FedEx because it's significantly cheaper. It also seems about a day faster, with better tracking, so I've been extremely happy with the change.

My only broken package was with UPS, but since they gave me a refund and reimbursement for the destroyed "collectible glassware," I couldn't really complain. In general I think both companies do pretty solid work, but shipping fragile cargo is always going to be a crapshoot.
    stevecooks, cavedave and Chaz like this.
  18. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

19. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

FedEx and UPS both lose packages, break packages, mishandle shipments, screw you, and everything else.

Anyone who thinks one is better than the other hasn't been shipping long enough and has too small a sample size.
    founder26 likes this.
  20. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

exactly, working for ups I cannot say that ups never mishandles packages, it happens, its gonna happen no matter where you ship. however, I can tell you guys that at our sort building, we have strict policies against throwing packages, most of the time packages get damaged is not because of the employees, but because of the equipment used in the buildings, and how the customers package their boxes, thats a huge part of it.
  21. jklinck

jklinck Savant (255) Washington Jul 23, 2007

If you really think they're doing it on purpose then get them on video, post it on youtube and send it to your local news. Payback is a bitch.
  22. Fedex is a bit faster and cheaper, and also delivers home on Saturdays, which generally guarantees coast-to-coast delivery without sitting around for a weekend. As for the actual service of successfully delivering a box in good shape, I don't think there is a bit of a difference. Based on the boxes I've gotten, I'd say about 90% of beer traders use Fedex.
    Ultimately I think the only great reason to use UPS is that their drop off is more convenient for you than Fedex, or you've had issues with your local Fedex.
  23. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Exactly why I use UPS despite it being more costly. The only problems I have ever had with breakage were three horribly mangled packages done by FedEx. Never a prob. with UPS in 100+ boxes sent. Plus convenient drop off.
  24. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

If you are getting broken bottles, I would bet that the problem lies more in the way it was packed rather than UPS or FedEx - short of them driving over your box. You should pack your boxes with the expectation that they will be tossed around/dropped from 10 feet or otherwise mistreated. Do that, an you won't have any problems.
  25. JeepCop

JeepCop Aficionado (235) Kansas May 16, 2010

Generally my thoughts as well. Although, I've never used anything other that the FedEx pick-up option, so I avoid the last part.
  26. Back when I was trading, I created an online account for both companies to see which would be cheaper. FedEx was the way to go for me.
  27. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I had a good objective comparison not long ago: 4 boxes from myself (on vacation in Portland OR) to myself in Portland ME

2 via UPS, 2 via Fedex. All 4 the same size and within a pound in weight.

Fedex was cheaper.

Fedex arrived in 5 days, UPS in 7.

One UPS box was pretty badly bashed up, none of the Fedex were.

I shipped from various UPS and Fedex locations and none was particularly nosy about contents. More a question of who was working and whether they were bored or rushed.

If you open an online account and do all your shipping labels from home, then drop off prepaid packages, nobody will ask anything.
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  28. turfy

turfy Savant (340) Texas Mar 17, 2010

I prefer Fedex. Everytime someone has shipped to me using UPS it is listed as taking 1-2 days longer than what Fedex would have taken, plus they inevitably change the arrival date to one day later, so 2-3 days longer to deliver than Fedex.
  29. Any reason USPS is not part of the discussion? I've sent many boxes via USPS without issue (yet?). The flat rate priority boxes for small trades are particularly nice.
    Rizalini likes this.
  30. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I prefer FedEx for the Saturday ground delivery.
  31. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

+1 for FedEx
  32. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

The best response to that is vintage coca-cola bottles.

For some reason they classify beer as "a flamable liquid" which is a joke. So, vintage Coke bottles it is.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  33. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

Totally agree! The medium flat rate boxes can accommodate 4 bombers & a 12 oz for $11!
  34. jloomis

jloomis Aficionado (245) Florida Jan 6, 2010

Because it is a federal offense to use the Postal Service to ship any alcoholic beverages.
  35. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Groundhog Day.
  36. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

So much this! Don't really understand the love for one or the other, I have had issues with both. The fact that I have a UPS Store less than a mile from my house and the guy knows me know, make it a no brainer.

I print labels at home and just plop the boxes on the counter and say "see ya". I asked him one day if he gets any money for print at home/drop offs and he told they get a dollar per box. He never asks any questions and I am in and out in ten seconds. So, he makes a couple hundred dollars from me a year for doing little to nothing. I appreciate the no stress, of it. Packing boxes is already a big enough pain in the ass.
  37. FedEx for me.
  38. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Savant (365) California Jun 16, 2008

Anyone noticing that fedex has been reweighing every box? They have adjusted the price of every box i have shipped in 2013.. I usually only try to downplay the weight by 5 pounds, to avoid the huge penalties. Usually i got away with this about 90% of the time. So far i am 12/12 with them changing the weights.
  39. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Yup. I put 11 lbs on a box yesterday, because I thought that was about right, and when I checked today it had been changed to 12.5 No biggie, but I noticed.
  40. To their credit, it does go both ways. I just shipped a box listed at 12 lbs. They adjusted it to 10.4 lbs.