1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Upslope Pumpkin

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by johzac, Oct 18, 2012.

1. johzac

johzac Aficionado (100) Colorado Nov 20, 2011

I've been looking for Upslope Pumpkin for a while, anybody know if it's still lingering around CO anywhere?
    For those of you who've had it, is it worthwhile seeking out?

2. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

The first batch that arrived in Denver sold out pretty fast, but a second batch hit a week ago. Those might still be around.
    It's a good pumpkin ale for sure. One of the best. Maybe not quite Pumking, Shlafly, or Uinta Oak Jacked - but still top 5.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  3. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

It can still be found around Boulder. To me, it's the best Pumpkin Ale that's not named Rumpkin. Definitely worth seeking out.

If you're in Boulder anyway, stop by Twisted Pine to try Mr. Browns Pumpkin. Another great one.

4. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Schlafly IS the best pumpkin beer, but I love Upslope.

5. I have been looking for it as well, but haven't gotten to it quickly enough. I know Mile high got some last week but it sold out very quickly. Haven't heard of anywhere else getting any

6. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (310) Colorado May 31, 2011

Whole foods in Boulder had a bunch a couple weeks ago. I'm not into pumpkin beers myself, but thought this was pretty good. The spices are subtle, which I prefer. I guess there was a mild pumpkin flavor to it. My only issue was that I'm not sure I'd have known it was a pumpkin ale just from drinking it, so I'd probably rather just drink a regular brown ale that cost a 1/3d as much.

7. Mayfair liquors had some a couple of days ago.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I have a couple I would part with. B/M me.

9. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (485) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

I've seen two locations in Colorado Springs that had them earlier this week.

10. chango

chango Aficionado (240) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

I know where some is, but I'm not allowed to tell you.
    It's pretty damn good... but honestly, I was expecting more from it.
    Elysian Night Owl was still my favorite from the season.

11. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

It's back to being all over Boulder. I went into a few stores in the last couple of days, and there was tons.

12. Same here in Greeley. Did they release another batch?

13. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Yup, needed to send out a wave after the GABF hoarders had ravaged the stock. I think it's awesome that Upslope split the release for the locals since there's not much of it.

14. b0rderman

b0rderman Aficionado (160) Colorado May 18, 2010

Let me be the first to say, this beer is great.

15. johzac

johzac Aficionado (100) Colorado Nov 20, 2011

Elysian Night Owl is a great beer at a very approachable price. I fully agree, it's one of my unexpected favorites of the 2012 fall season.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  16. Night Owl was mediocre to me. The Venetucci pumpkin ale was better imo, it isn't super pumpkin forward but it had a nice pie crust flavor.

17. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

To me all of the Elysian Pumpkin beers have a strong anise note that grinds on me after a few sips.
    While not exactly as convenient, a lot of the better pumpkin brews in Denver are draft only. Denver Beer Co, Mountain Sun, Bull & Bush, and the Wynkoop all do a pretty nice job.
    Never managed to get the Venetucci, but people swear by it as being one of the absolute best.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  18. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Looks like Dry Dock and Copper Kettle both have one on tap. Guess I'll have to pay them a visit.

19. chango

chango Aficionado (240) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

The Venetucci is damn near impossible to get, though.
    I had it last year and yeah, I'll say it's one of the absolute best.
    But, again, damn near impossible to get your hands on.
    Some of the best pumpkin beer I've had this year has been at Denver Beer Co... as far as small batch goes.