1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

USDA National Hop Report - 2012

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by HerbMeowing, Jan 15, 2013.

1. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Good cuz I need some citra and simcoe

3. HerbMeowing

Acreage of Citra and Simcoe pale in comparison with CTZ...Cascade...and Nugget by a magnitude of one or two.

4. Interesting -- Citra acreage was more than doubled but the yield was down by almost one third. Nevertheless, there was more Citra harvested in 2012 than there was in the previous two years combined. Where did it all go? And, given that homebrewers pay about 4 times the average price, shouldn't we be at the front of the line? ;)

jlpred55 and HerbMeowing like this.
  5. No contracts. We are bottom feeders that get hops that have passed through many hands,and we buy in super small quantity compredb to a commercial. Brewer.

6. Indeed! Though it seems to me that a wise (or not so wise) grower might consider reserving a bit more for the high priced market.

7. HerbMeowing

German growers and their Hallertau are reported to have strong reserves for that very reason.

8. grow your own fellas..it's the only way to fly

9. I jumped on that bandwagon during the shortage a couple years ago when $50/lb was suddenly 'normal'. I planted two rhizomes each of Cascade and Sterling. Strung them up behind the shed. My yard in the area of the shed is now virtually overrun with hop bines! I've found them sprouting 20' away from the original bed - I fully expect to see them even farther away this year. They've overtaken the wildflower bed and have virtually wiped out the strawberries (needless to say, they are not warming my wife up to this hobby). They're wrapping themselves around bags of charcoal inside the shed. And they're labor intensive. At today's price of around $10/lb, it's just not worth the effort, IMO. I'm seriously considering using an herbicide on them.

10. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (340) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

they put out some serious runners...had to leave mine with my psycho ex, but came back to them for harvest last year and man the runners some of them sent out into the field were like 20ft+ long trying to find a hole in the turf...reminded me of the scene in the Hurt Locker where the guy finds a wire and just keeps pulling up more & more buried wire.

11. yeah..they do travel I've got mine (chinook, sterling, Mt. hood) in dedicated mounds with cut off 36" culverts filled with soil..even with that I still have to thin them quite a bit or they become root bound..it does put the "home" in homebrewed

12. "I'm seriously considering using an herbicide on them."

See a counselor, first, please. : )

mikehartigan likes this.
  13. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Savant (275) Alabama Mar 16, 2011

Just curious but where are you getting Cascade and Sterling at $10 a pound?

14. You could pull them up and sell to another homebrewer and buy yourself a pound of hops. Probably split up the rootball and sell the same plant multiple times.

15. The demand for Citra has shot up dramatically the past two years. Demand is still way, way over supply. Same goes for Simcoe. Keep in mind as well when the hops are harvested and make their way to the breweries through middle companies, they end up in containers in freezers waiting to be used all year long. So they are out there and will be used over the course of a year.

As others have said, we're last in line. The growers contract out to large brewers and wholesalers. The wholesalers sell to retail who sell to us. The growers usually don't have excess hops to sell direct (except those that do, of course) because the acreage is under contract. The wholesalers don't want to sell retail. So we are paying a premium to be at the bottom of the supply chain. That's why hopsdirect and others are almost always cheaper than your local shop. A local shop here sells cascades of questionable age for $4/oz. Ridiculous...

16. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

17. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Savant (275) Alabama Mar 16, 2011

Some people are buying hops that are locally grown in their area instead of buying from out west online.
    Of course they are paying a small premium for the freshness I would think. I think worth it though.

18. Unless you're wet hopping in the Fall, locally grown hops are not significantly fresher than the stuff you buy from the Pacific Northwest. They're all harvested at the same time of the year (southern hemisphere notwithstanding). Local weather variations may allow them to be harvested slightly earlier or later from one year to the next but, generally speaking, the difference is not significant for our purposes.

19. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Good luck getting Citra, Simcoe or Mosaic rhizomes ;)

dougfur likes this.
  20. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

That is really interesting. I would never have guesses Simcoe and Citra to have that size production. Particularly with the clamoring (professional and amateur) for more of each. I mean, look at probrewer in the wanted section. Sooo many looking for them.
    I guess it underlines their popularity.

21. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

And bummed that Amarillo isn't listed. That one is becoming the real rarity.

22. The figure quoted at the 2011 NHC was 480 acres for Amarillo. There is said to be another farm growing Amarillo now under contract. Do not know the totals.

23. I've actually heard some brewers complain that the big homebrewing suppliers have bigger contracts for Citra/Simcoe than most breweries do.

24. The big suppliers ha e contracts. Don't know how the LHBS goes about getting the supplyine always has a supply of the high fans hops. Other shops run out.

Anyone know more?

25. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I grew my own for a couple seasons. My wife, an invasive plant ecology, was against my planting them in the yard. I planted them in large containers. They were a minor success but had a rough time making it through a Wisconsin winter

26. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Your wife is an invasive plant?

pweis909 likes this.
  27. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

No, smarty. He said she is an ecology. One that contains invasive plants.

mountsnow1010 and pweis909 like this.
  28. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Typo. My inner monologue and my fingers are not always in sync. Point is, she kills hops (Humulus japonicus) and other plants for a living and hates to bring her work home.

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  29. It is usually the supplier (i.e., someone like LD Carlson) who has the big contract, and they supply the LHBS. Might be that some stores are reqarded for selling more. I've heard of some breweries that also run homebrewing stores syphoning off from the homebrew shop for commercial batches, shameful but true.

30. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Wouldn't this have to be a really small brewery and/or a really big (sales-wise) homebrew store?

31. Now we see the packages from HopUnion in the LHBS, and that is maybe the largest broker for the craft brewing industry. I have seen many a 11 kg box of HopUnion pellets at the LHBS. Don't know if the shops get those directly from HopUnion or from a supply house like LD Carlson.

32. Certainly, even then just saving enough Citra for a special batch/cask. You're not going to make a year round beer like that.