1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

User Locations are back!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Prior to installing our new forum/user registration over a year ago we had the ability to properly capture and use the data. Since then we've had to deal with a free for all open field that isn't very useful at all. In fact, it's been rather frustrating and was one of the major reasons why we had to disable showing user locations in the forum, on reviews and cease email blasts as we couldn't target users by location.

Long story short, I hacked some code together in order to bring user locations back; we'll make it less hacky later.

Here's the deal:
    • Go to your Account/Personal Details and select "edit your location."
    • Select your country (and state/province if you're in the US or Canada).
    • Done.
    Using historical data, I automatically updated roughly 286,000 accounts prior to the forum update. Users within the past year will need to manually update their location, as will those who have moved since the update. City is not included in this round of updates.

Where is it displayed?
    Currently:
    • User profile page and popup user info cards.
    • Forum posts.
    • Beer/Place reviews.
    Soon:
    • Beer/Place reviews.
    • Wants/Gots for each beer.
    Clicking on a user location takes you to Google maps; forum default that we plan on changing with the site redesign.

Washington Bug
    • Google maps defaults to "Washington, DC" when given "Washington," however it's the reverse with Google search. We've put in a ticket with Google.
    Right now location is optional, but we plan on making it mandatory soon. User location is now mandatory (again) in order to better customize your experience on BA now and with future updates.

Enjoy!
  2. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing this again in beer/place reviews. Hopefully city will be included in future updates.
    xxcarpxx likes this.
  3. KenC

KenC Aficionado (240) New Jersey Jan 21, 2011

Cities would be nice, esp. for those looking to do some IP trading.
    jgluck likes this.
  4. Todd

Yes. We plan on adding a city field.
  5. Nice. Will it be manually entered like before or will it be a choice of real cities, not land of walezbro, PA?
  6. Todd

We'll be aiming for real cities as anything else won't be useful.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  7. This rocks! Much easier to make sense of big/popular threads at a glance.
    corby112 likes this.
  8. I'll bite: why does it have to be mandatory?
    williamjbauer and BlakeSmith like this.
  9. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

To better customize your experience on BA now and with future updates.
    DaveHack, NABS, kevanb and 9 others like this.
  10. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Not sure if this has been addressed lately, but is there any chance we'll get back our review data at some point (# styles, # states, etc...) ?
    Duff27 and ehammond1 like this.
  11. I think it would be great if we could sort recent reviews by state.
    MattyG85 likes this.
  12. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I keep going into my profile and inputing my location, then saving my profile, and my location doesnt stick. Even though I've saved it, it keeps going back to blank and telling me to input it. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit - figured it out. For some reason, when I save my profile after entering my location, it reverts back. If I change the location and DON'T save it, but just navigate away to another page, it works fine. Seems opposite of what it should do, but oh well, now it worked!
    JxExM likes this.
  13. Is there any plan on putting a user location somewhere in the review like on the old site? This may sound silly but it was always interesting reading someone from Europe, or outside the U.S perspective on an high sought after, or coveted American beer.
  14. Todd

Yes. This is mentioned in my original post.
  15. Todd

Good catch. I updated the Personal Details form. Tested. Working now.

(Reload the form if you're having the same issue to get the new code.)
  16. I got to learn to read. Thanks Todd.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I just noticed this and I reckoned there would be a post about it here. Well done!
  18. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

Thanks for this adjustment, Todd. And from a non-IT guy, I love the phrase "I hacked some code together"
  19. Todd

Update: Added to Beer/Place reviews.
    corby112 likes this.
  20. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (800) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

I too would like to have a return of review/had data broken down by number of States, Countries, breweries, styles, etc. I miss being able to see that.
  21. Todd

What you're asking for is completely unrelated to this update, but something that we've already said will make a comeback within the site redesign; new user profiles and stats. Cheers!
    hardy008 and MattyG85 like this.
  22. Please, please, please make location mandatory. I hate people asking for help on good beers or where to find beers by them and not knowing where they are from! Not sure how you would do this for current members, but I would think you could definitely do it for new members.
    dennis3951 and aasher like this.
  23. Todd

It was made mandatory soon after the update, hence the updated post.
  24. Ok, I guess I didn't really get that it was mandatory from your OP.
    thanks
  25. I like that it says it under their name in the forums, but it no longer shows their city on the profile. I found that to be very useful information that is now gone.
    It would be nice if cities were still available, but states were mandatory. I can guarantee my "BA experience" will not improve because of this.
    I know that it will be included in future updates, but it seems silly to require one ahead of the other, when previously it was fine and could have waited until the code for both could be completed.
  26. Todd

I can guarantee that it will; eventually.
    aasher likes this.
  27. Why does BA have to know my location in order for me to review beers and places? I'd prefer not to have my location known, and there's nothing about how I use this site that needs BA or anyone else to know my location. It would seem that requiring it is just going to induce some percentage of people to put in fake locations just to keep using what is otherwise a great site.
  28. Todd

User locations were mandatory prior to Feb 2012. We're just bringing them back.

Why now? Future functionality will require it. (This is no different than Google+ or Facebook requiring your location, and a very small "price" to pay for a free service.) I also believe that it helps build a better community.

As for those who put in fake locations, they'll simply miss out on effectively using and benefitting from future updates.
  29. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

Is there any way we can get a north cal or so-cal on our user location since california is a big state and does see distribution changes between the north and south. This will be helpful in the trade forum as well.
  30. Todd

Won't be necessary when we eventually include the city option.
  31. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

ah, got'ch ya. thanks
  32. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Please add city locations back in ASAP... in Texas (and California), our distribution varies WIDELY in the different regions/metroplexes. Lots of local beer doesn't make it from city to city and it can get rather confusing talking to people.
  33. JxExM

JxExM Savant (470) New York Mar 5, 2012

just add it to "Personal Details" in the meantime ;)
    Todd likes this.
  34. Todd

Good tip. You had to click on the user profile to see the free-for-all location field anyway.
    JxExM likes this.