1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Using fresh hops?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I am ready to harvest the little amount of hops I was able to grow this year and I never used anything other than pellets in my homebrew. and, as usual I have a few questions.
    I am just going to use the Cascades I grew at 15 minutes and flame out.
    Should I dry out the hops on a screen for a few days and then throw them in the boil, or just brew the day I pick them and put them in 'right off the bine" , either way would be do-able for me, just not sure if I should dry them first.

DSlim71 likes this.
  2. Either way is fine, but if you use them fresh it will take 4-5 times as much by weight because of all the water in fresh hops.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Also, although I don't grow hops and have never used wet hops, I have heard many times that if you're going to use them wet (i.e. fresh), use them right away. Otherwise they will (if not dried properly) deteriorate rapidly.

4. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

You should still bitter with pellets. Using wet hops should be used 5 to 1. If you dont have enough hops from your harvest consider and 3 gallon recipe.

One of my centennial plants was ready to harvest before the other 8 plants. I only got 6 oz wet from it so I brewed a 3 gallon centennial blonde ale (homebrewtalk recipe). Looking forward in the next week or two and big harvest to brew a Wet IPA.

Good Luck