1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Using propane

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tngolfer, Feb 20, 2013.

1. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (200) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

Unless I get a natural gas line hooked up, my only means of brewing is by using propane. Is there a good way to limit the amount if black ash that accumulates on the bottom of my kettle? Is it in my air/fuel mix or just a side effect of using propane?

2. I'm gonna talk out of my ass here but could it be oxidation of the metal?

3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

my kettle stays pretty clean. you will have a blue flame that won't leave much soot if you have your burner adjusted right.

bgjohnston, MMAJYK and NiceFly like this.
  4. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

If your fuel/air mix is correct you will get little to no black ash on your kettles. Play around with the air vent until you see little to no orange flames, flame should be all blue.

bgjohnston likes this.
  5. FYI, brewing with natural gas doesn't prevent the black soot. I have a natural gas hookup, and if I'm getting orange flame, the kettle will turn black.

bgjohnston likes this.
  6. Open the air intake until the flame turns mostly blue. That will minimize the formation of soot on the bottom of the kettle. There'll be some yellow flecks due to impurities in the gas and dust in the air. Open it too far and the flame will begin to lift off the burner, at which point, it will blow out very easily. 'carteravebrew' is correct in that natural gas has the same problem (and the same fix). FWIW, any soot that forms washes off pretty easily with a garden hose.

bgjohnston likes this.
  7. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (200) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

I must have a cheapo burner because the air is open all the way and I still get some orange flames. I tried playing with that first. Add a good burner to my 'want' list.

8. black ash means that the mixture is too rich. back down the air flow in increase the gas.

9. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Get a Blichmann and don't look back. I screwed around with multiple turkey fryers before I invested in the B. Best bit of kit I bought and it would have been cheaper had I done that FIRST.

10. You can rub soap on the bottom of the kettle before you brew and the soot will clean off easier afterwards.

mathematizer likes this.
  11. There's a Boy Scout among us! ;)

Hands22, warchez and Hotmetal1 like this.
  12. You have that backwards. If the mixture is rich it needs more air or less gas.

13. You are excalty right, learned this about 38 years ago.

14. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (390) New York Sep 1, 2004

E-Z Off oven cleaner.
    but some black staining on the outside of the kettle doesn't matter much. unless you plan to brew on Martha Stewart or some shit.

propane is very clean burning. i think it is hard to get a "dirty" flame even if its a rich mix. a little orange maybe but still really clean. might be paint or oil on the burner stand that is charring. could be gunk in the orifice getting blown through the flame. nothing really to worry about.

15. beerjay

beerjay Zealot (95) California Apr 12, 2006

I have this same problem about once a year. It tells me it's time to clean out the jets. I use a wooden skewer to clean out each hole in the jet, and problem is solved.

16. I have used propane with a SS kettle for over 3 years now and never experienced ash or soot on the bottom. Crank that air intake up

17. On my 23 jet NG wok burner, each jet has its own non-adjustable air intake. I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics (nor do I play one on TV) but intuition and observation tell me that these are optimized for a specific flow rate. As I lower the flame (the valve needs to be nearly closed to prevent boil overs), the flame turns yellow, and the bottom of my kettle gets covered with soot. As I said earlier, this washes off easily with a garden hose, so I don't sweat it. I plan to lower the burner one of these days so I can better control the heat and the soot.

18. Hands22

Hands22 Aficionado (240) Florida Oct 14, 2011

Make sure you get unscented soap... One time all we had was old spice and that made for quite a camping trip.

Hotmetal1 likes this.