1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

using the same wort?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MRsojourner, Dec 20, 2012.

1. just bought some out of date yeast and made up a starter.....three days in and there was no activity. I decanted but kept the wort. I boiled it again and cooled and plan to pitch some more yeast. Does anybody see a problem with re-boiling and using that wort again? I don't have anymore DME

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I really don't see a problem with doing this. But are you sure there was nothing happening with the original? Starters can do their thing while you sleep.

3. Can almost guarantee there is yeast left in that wort, Heated yeast tastes like shit, buts it's a starter. I personaly dont see a huge problem. I would avoid it if you could

4. it may be possible but I waited three days and saw nothing. it was a two liter starter. it didn't look very good either kinda brown and not solid

5. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

That's almost as bad as using someone else's leftover milk for your cereal. Can't you just give the yeasties a fresh meal. Gees! Buy some Malta Goya if you have to.

6. Doesn't Malta Goya have preservatives? Assuming the starter didn't ferment at all, I think it should be fine. I would definitely check the gravity before re using, but any dead yeast should just be nutrients for the new stuff.

7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

It didn't used to. A lot of us used to use it. But I think you're right. last time I looked on a bottle I think I saw a potassium sorbate or some other preservative. Good catch, that will keep yeast from reproducing. I've added potassium sorbate to raspberry beer when I wanted to keep it from fully fermenting.

I just looked up Malta Goya online, and it didn't mention preservatives in the ingredients list. Maybe there's more than one formula.

8. hey man my grandma use to pick up abc gum from the ground! im sure its not that bad :) the Goya is a good idea though, I forgot about that. its not as if the yeast ate anything though im not to worried. I already threw the yeast in there so ill report back and tell ya how it goes. I will put it in the fridge and decant the leftover milk. i'm makin a saison so the extra character is welcomed!