1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Utilize the Reviews Database!

Discussion in 'Site' started by Celtics76, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I don't get threads such as "Best Chocolate Stout?", "Looking for a Good Brown Ale", etc. when there are thousands of reviews on here for every style imaginable. It's very easy to do a search, or simply search the forums archives. Most of the reviews on here are very well thought out. Plus you can sort by rating.

Any time I want to try a new style, my first step is to search the reviews and see what's available locally.

Rant over. Thanks.

Stormfield, KWMiles, ant880 and 3 others like this.
  2. Good talk.

tectactoe likes this.
  3. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Because laziness.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  4. Reviews are not the same thing as a conversation.

5. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

Because we are a community not a spread sheet.

6. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

True, but it wouldn't hurt for people starting these threads to do at least a little bit of research first. It seems like most of these threads are started as much out of boredom as out of an actual need for information.

woosterbill, jmdrpi, misterid and 6 others like this.
  7. I completely agree here. There are plenty of other ways to get to know folks here besides redundant threads such as these. I feel every week in "Beer Talk", it's the same threads but with a slightly different subject.

"Best IPA", "What's Your Favorite IPA?", "Looking for a good IPA", etc. etc..

misterid and Thorpe429 like this.
  8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

If it wasn't for the Best East Coast IPAs thread I would have never heard of Flower Power. BOOM!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  9. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Because people are lonley and want to know they aren't alone out there

....you bastard.

leedorham and Celtics76 like this.
  10. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

Most threads on BA are redundant including this one. I don’t see many "fresh" discussions anymore. (DLD 2013 - Most bang for your buck - What will you give me for my whale - What constitutes a whale? - What are you drinking now?).
    Take a look at the what's new page. I don’t think your rant was worth the effort. Just don't post and the thread will die a quick death unless people like it and want to respond.

Besides, and I might be wrong but I don’t think you can sort the reviews by region so maybe someone wants to know some good beer that they have not heard of and have access too.

misterid likes this.
  11. It just seems like a lot of folks are starting threads just for the sake of starting threads.

My favorite new topic of conversation on Beer Talk is "Refreshing, pleasant beers?"

Really?

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

There is no off topic section here, so all you can talk about is beer....there are a finite amount of topics about the subject, some are bound to be repeated, some are going to be questions that could easily be answered by a quick google/site search, but at the end of the day we need stuff to talk about if the tempo of the site is to be maintained. If you don't like the topic of a thread that is made (and it is within the rules)....don't click on it.

13. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

Not sure if I remember correctly but are you the guy who quit drinking for a while? If you are still sober, please start drinking ASAP! This might be step #6 (relieve your anger). Do us all a favor and stop being a quitter......enjoy a beer and calm those nerves buddy. Life is too short :)

14. I've never clicked on a thread of that nature, I just laugh and move on. Personally, I think there are plenty of interesting threads here, and enough to maintain the "tempo of the site" as you say, without all the "Best Imperial Stout?" and "Refreshing Pilsners?" threads.

15. It's interesting that those types of threads are meant for discussion but actually end up having very little discussed at all. Its just a bunch of people blurting out their favorite beers and a few guys that want to look cool and say some random highly rated one-off they had.

"Hey whats a good fruited sour?"

"Uhhh...Don Quijote"

Celtics76 and Etan like this.
  16. Yeah, I quit just for Jan only, so I'm back in business.

I appreciate the input. I still think those threads are silly. And I'm guilty of starting silly threads myself.

Pando likes this.
  17. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

can anyone adequately explain the why here?

18. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I don't know if this is the case here. Speaking from experience with other forums, maybe because the off topic stuff doesn't stay contained and spills over into the other topical forums? People would get a "heated discussion" going in one of the off topics and the feud would continue elsewhere. On one in particular, it got to such an extent that a group of us put together a letter to have the OT forums closed down - virtually every thread contained some pissin' match or personal grudge BS that started in the OT sections.

19. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

pissing matches start here in the beer threads. i dunno. people are still people.

20. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

You got that right! But it seems generally loosely sorta confined to beer - not personal attacks about more controversial subject matter. Let's leave it there ;)

21. My threads usually get deleted so I have given up.

22. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (465) Illinois May 30, 2005

so...you don't have a favorite Chocolate stout?