1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Utopias sampling over time?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Seifer807, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Seifer807

Seifer807 Zealot (95) Michigan Aug 12, 2008

Well I took the massive $200 plunge for this years 10th anniversary Utopias. For those who have had the beer in the past what is your thoughts on doing multiple samplings over a long period of time, possibly several years? I plan to hold the bottle in my cellar and I am so excited about having it i want to sample it now, but i also think it would be great to try again at its 5 year mark if i can keep my greedy hands off it. Any concerns?

2. I had it two years ago at the conclusion of a tour of the Boston Beer Co.'s Jamaica Plain plant. A once-in-a-lifetime occurence-- the groom-to-be proposed to his bride-to-be in the tasting room, and Boston Beer uncorked Utopias (not sure what year, although I have pictures) for everyone to celebrate the occasion! So, I can't offer any advice on how aging improves the brew, just that it was delicious, and I would have a hard time keeping it corked. May I ask where you got yours? I'm trying to track down a bottle, any year (although 2012 seems the most interesting so far), so a friend who's never had it can give it a try. Thanks!

3. Seifer807

Seifer807 Zealot (95) Michigan Aug 12, 2008

I got mine at a local store, new place that opened this year. It was a game of cat and mouse finding out if they coule even get a bottle from the distributor. Finally one day i recieved word they could get it and an hour later that the distributor dropped it off. I went straight there to get it, even they were holding it for me.

4. Nice! Thanks

5. There's a bottle sitting on a shelf behind the counter at a convenience store/beer shop right down the road from me. They're asking for $300. Never in my life will I spend that kind of money for any size bottle of beer no matter what the alcohol percentage is.

6. I have some friends who work for Sam Adams, so many of our tastings have ended with a pour of Utopias. I think it is a wonderful "beer", but I enjoy it as I would a cognac or armagnac.

Still trying to decide if I can handle the cash outlay for a 10th Anniversary bottle to call my own. I know that if I pass it up, I will regret it. Still, for the same $$$, I could get 3 cases of Heady Topper....

7. No reason to ever regret passing up on a beer... It's just beer. I love Utopias, but the price is ridiculous...