1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Utopias sampling over time?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Seifer807, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Seifer807

Seifer807 Zealot (95) Michigan Aug 12, 2008

Well I took the massive $200 plunge for this years 10th anniversary Utopias. For those who have had the beer in the past what is your thoughts on doing multiple samplings over a long period of time, possibly several years? I plan to hold the bottle in my cellar and I am so excited about having it i want to sample it now, but i also think it would be great to try again at its 5 year mark if i can keep my greedy hands off it. Any concerns?

2. I had it two years ago at the conclusion of a tour of the Boston Beer Co.'s Jamaica Plain plant. A once-in-a-lifetime occurence-- the groom-to-be proposed to his bride-to-be in the tasting room, and Boston Beer uncorked Utopias (not sure what year, although I have pictures) for everyone to celebrate the occasion! So, I can't offer any advice on how aging improves the brew, just that it was delicious, and I would have a hard time keeping it corked. May I ask where you got yours? I'm trying to track down a bottle, any year (although 2012 seems the most interesting so far), so a friend who's never had it can give it a try. Thanks!

3. Seifer807

Seifer807 Zealot (95) Michigan Aug 12, 2008

I got mine at a local store, new place that opened this year. It was a game of cat and mouse finding out if they coule even get a bottle from the distributor. Finally one day i recieved word they could get it and an hour later that the distributor dropped it off. I went straight there to get it, even they were holding it for me.

4. Nice! Thanks

5. There's a bottle sitting on a shelf behind the counter at a convenience store/beer shop right down the road from me. They're asking for $300. Never in my life will I spend that kind of money for any size bottle of beer no matter what the alcohol percentage is.

6. I have some friends who work for Sam Adams, so many of our tastings have ended with a pour of Utopias. I think it is a wonderful "beer", but I enjoy it as I would a cognac or armagnac.

Still trying to decide if I can handle the cash outlay for a 10th Anniversary bottle to call my own. I know that if I pass it up, I will regret it. Still, for the same $$$, I could get 3 cases of Heady Topper....

7. No reason to ever regret passing up on a beer... It's just beer. I love Utopias, but the price is ridiculous...