1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Vail Big Beers Festival

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Mebuzzard, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

Ok, so who's going to this dandy of an event?

This will be my first time attending. What am I in store for? Is there a bottle share? Any other extracurricular activities?

http://www.bigbeersfestival.com/
  2. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Member

Pure, 100%, unadulterated badass. But don't tell anyone because I want this to be one thing in the craft beer world that doesn't blow up.

This will be my first year staying the night so I don't have a lot of input about "extracurricular activities".
    bditty187 and drumrboy22 like this.
  3. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Member

I'll be there. Went for the first time last year and it was by far my favorite beer festival or event, ever. From a homebrewer's perspective, there's a ton of great information at the various seminars. And the seminars are probably still fun and education for non-brewers.

Matt Brynildson from FW is leading a seminar entitled "Oak Three Ways: Fermented, Aged & Wild". I'm sure he'll be sharing some great FW barrel-aged beers. And Kevin Delange from Dry Dock is doing a seminar on Barleywines, and I'd be willing to bet he'll be pouring Bligh's.
  4. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Member

I hate you.
  5. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Member

I got nothin' but love for you and your Navajo truckstop blanket.
  6. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

I hope it doesn't blow up only if they never move it into a bigger space. The seminars are incredible, and I'll be completely devastated the first year I can't just walk into one. This conference makes my dreams come true.
  7. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Member

Haven't been since '07, but I remember it being killer. That year, Deschutes brought The Abyss, which had just rolled out a few months prior, Bristol was pouring Winter Warlock XXX, which hadn't yet hit and Dogfish brought a bunch of vintage stuff. It was awesome!

I remember being pretty impressed by the international selection. We attended a seminar with Hildegard and Bas from Urthel. Just a really fun weekend with some amazing beer.

Excited to be going back this year. Thought about trying to put together a bottle share for Friday night. We're at Simba Run and know a few people that might be interested. Where's everybody staying?
    Hessma likes this.
  8. doobliebop

doobliebop Member

Best festival I've ever been to. Small number of attendees in comparison to similar events, so you can actually talk to the brewers who are pouring their best brews. The public transportation around Vail makes for a hassle free trip. Seminars are fantastic, but get there early, they won't let you in after they start. Some good pizza joints downtown.
  9. Tolann

Tolann Member

Love this fest! This is my 3rd year going. Or is it 4th?... It's the first time going that I have tix for the Friday dinner. Never been to the seminars, but always heard good things about them. The last few times my husband I have gone we have found more beer to drink/bottle shares, etc after the Sat tasting as well since that ends relatively early in the evening. Last year they had specials at the breweries that we're in the area along I70. I think the Vail bus can get you out to Edwards and back if you're interested in checking out Crazy Mountain. I haven't heard anything special going on this year. I'll have to check my emails for more info.

Plus, Surly will be there again! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  10. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

If anyone has space in a car going up Friday night or Saturday morning and returning the next day, I'm a Big Beers orphan this year in need of a ride and a floor to sleep on. I could easily help pay for anything and everything, I just didn't get my act together soon enough this year for planning. Shoot me a BM if you could accommodate.
  11. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Member

We've got a condo at the Holiday Inn. We're doing our own beer dinner Friday night but a bottle share on Saturday might be fun. No set plans for later on Saturday.
  12. MileHighShooter

MileHighShooter Member

I'm debating going up Sat morning. My other plans fell through
  13. bditty187

bditty187 Member

Third time going. Best beer fest I've been too... Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison is damn epic too!
    Oxymoron likes this.
  14. biking4beer

biking4beer Member

I thought that ended 3 or 4 years ago.
  15. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Member

They are going to have it on two levels again. Really they need a bigger spot for this but there really isn't anywhere bigger.
  16. bditty187

bditty187 Member

I didn't go last year, what do you mean two levels? The commerical tastings on two levels or are the seminars on a different level?
  17. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Member

Both. They have one big room where most of the breweries will be at. But there will be a down stairs area. There is a good sized room where all the other brewers will be and there will be another room where they will hold the seminars.
  18. harperman69

harperman69 Member

Not a brewer, so my question is, will this be good enough for me from a beer sampling standpont?
  19. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Member

I assume you're talking about the seminars. If so, it depends. I've been to ones where, strictly from a beer sampling standpoint, I wasn't impressed. I've been to others where it was definitely worth the time.

Bottom line: I've really enjoyed all of the seminars I've been to. Some of them had much better beer sampling options.
  20. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but don't take a seat at a seminar where the point is to learn about something just to be able to taste beers. That's what the tasting session is for. Leave room at the seminars for people who are there to learn.
  21. gueuzer

gueuzer Member

I think you guys are all confused. This festival no longer exists.

It was one of the best festivals in the world as far as beer on offer and its unsurpassed low-key vibe. But after the shitshow that many festivals are turning into ticket-wise (see GABF, Sourfest, etc), people decided that it should be cancelled and never, ever talked about publicly again.;)
  22. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Member

He's right. But if by chance there was said festival, anyone interested in attending would need to find tickets at one of the liquor stores in the Vail Valley, as they are sold out online. I don't think it sold out online last year.
  23. Prospero

Prospero Member

I hate that tickets are sold in September for this, I'm always so focused on GABF and events, that I miss the tickets sales.... darn it. Next year.
  24. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Member

Was at a party last night and saw Kevin DeLange and Walt Chleva from Dry Dock. They'll both be speaking at the Dry Dock seminar on Saturday. Topic is Barleywine's and they'll be sampling 4-5 beers. They told me the lineup, but I didn't write them down. Off the top of my head, Bligh's, Sucaba and Old Foghorn were on the list. I'm forgetting the others... Anyway, sounded like fun.
  25. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Member

The wife and I will be heading up Friday, this is our 2nd year going. I'm stewarding the home brew comp Friday afternoon and we are doing the brewmasters dinner Friday night. Bummed the damn Broncos game is on during the tasting. :(
  26. Tolann

Tolann Member

I've already been bugging about that same thing! This is the response I got from their FB group:
    We're working on it with the Cascade to see if it will be possible to project the game in the conference center. I don't know what we'll figure out, but we've had enough requests that we'll try to make it possible.
    rob2654 likes this.
  27. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

I'm lucky I'm a Chiefs fan... o_O
    coreymcafee likes this.
  28. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Member

Yeah, you don't have to worry about anything after about Game 4 or so in any given season :-D
  29. Kpowers

Kpowers Member

Anyone want something from the (RI MA) Northeast let me know I am leaving Thursday and have room to provide something in a swap or share.
  30. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

I found a ride up and back, but I'm in the market for a floor/bed to crash on/in AND a ticket. I can't believe they sold out through the website. Hit me on BM if you can supply one or both. Can't wait!
  31. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Member

Man I hope they put something together like that. I was just going to try and stream the game on my smart phone.
  32. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

One last ditch attempt: If anybody has a last minute drop out from their group, I'm looking for a roof in Vail Saturday night. I will pay in beer, money, handies...you know...I'm flexible.
  33. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Member

Do you have any Wham! vinyl to barter?
  34. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

Only the Christmas album.

...I'll toss in a handy.
  35. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

Alright, how about this: Now I need someone to split a room I found for $260 in the center of Vail and a short ride from the Cascade resort. Two beds in the room. Anyone not too stoked on their current situation and want something better?

A good offense is the best defense.
  36. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

Finally found the last piece to the puzzle - no handies necessary. See you all at BBBB! I'll be the guy at the Kevin Delange seminar, nerding tha F out.
    drumrboy22 likes this.
  37. chango

chango Member

My third year going... I love this fest!
    Really, if I ever had to choose between this and GABF... I'd choose Vail happily.
    Every year, though, I think I'll splurge and stay somewhere nice... but I always wind up at the fleabag Roost.
    See ya'll there!