1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Value check?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by MisterBisco, Apr 24, 2014.

1. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Savant (485) New York Feb 18, 2009

I'm trading a Black Note and a BBPt5 for his BA Framinghammer and Prairie Bomb. No idea if this is fair. Can someone give me a sense of value?
  2. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (505) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

probably you are offering a little more, but if you enticed the deal than that is kinda standard. It sounds about right though
  3. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Are you happy with the trade? Yes = fair
    cetherid likes this.
  4. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Savant (485) New York Feb 18, 2009

I'm happy with it - we each trust each other and are both happy. I was more curious to just get a sense of how these beers "stacked up" against each other in the "objective" trading market.
  5. cetherid

cetherid Savant (385) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

THIS. can we please stop these "trade value"/"what's my beer worth" posts? Not everyone values their beer the same.
    youbrewidrink and miketd like this.
  6. miketd

If you want objectivity, it would be dollar for dollar and/or rare for rare. You will never get thing to match up perfectly, but if you are happy then it is all good.
  7. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony Savant (265) California May 22, 2006

I definitely agree that not everyone values beer the same, but there is nothing wrong with checking to see if your getting screwed over. Lots of people on here are trying to win trades and when you are dealing with a transaction on the internet with a person/company(that you don't know), there is nothing wrong with getting a consensus from your peers.

If you don't want to answer the question, ignore the thread and move on.
  8. ParlayHard8

ParlayHard8 Aficionado (210) Texas Jan 23, 2014

You can't fault him for asking. If he posts a trade that's unfair in "trade value" then posters are all over you telling you you're stupid and unfair.
    TheBeerDrinker likes this.
  9. tommyz

tommyz Savant (450) Michigan May 28, 2007

For a site that is for us "beer advocates", there are sure a lot of assholes here
    youbrewidrink and Ckoz like this.
  10. miketd

If I'm an asshole, so be it. But I have been out of the trading game for a bit now and I could figure out a rough value for anything just by doing some research. Dollar for dollar and/or rare for rare. It all does not have to line up exact, at least for me. For all the talk about people trying to "win" trades, I used to make sure I lost the trade... as long as the other end was happy, it is all good.

I would never call someone stupid or make them feel like an idiot for posting a thread, but I'm not going to hold their hand and make sure their trade is even to the penny. This stuff is easy to figure out, and just like taste, it is often subjective.

My .02