Value of Bolt Cutter, others

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Dyalango, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Dyalango

Dyalango Aficionado (185) District of Columbia Oct 23, 2012 Verified

I have 2 extra Bolt Cutters and have a lot of BCBS, backwoods bastard and some other barrel aged stuff. I'm new to trading and am trying to figure out what it would take to land BA Dark Lord's or BA Huna, or anything similar. Anyone have some insight?

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

So you have some semi rare, off the shelf barrel aged stuff, and you want to know how many of those it will take to get rare non off the shelf barrel aged stuff? 5 to 7:1 ratio.

3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

You're not very close to either of those. There's a reason why you have so much bolt cutter and BCBS. It trades on par with equally accesible beers. BA huna and darklord will demand equally rare brewery only releases. You could probably get a standard darklord with your beer...but of course someone with darklord could easily buy all that stuff.

4. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

There are 4 other threads about what Bolt Cutter is trading for; do a little research.

5. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

Both those beers taste better than anything you are likely to get in trade. I'm assuming you like the styles or you wouldn't have bought them.

EasyReader and MarcatGSB like this.
  6. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Savant (465) New Hampshire Jan 24, 2009 Verified

BA Huna or BA DL are really hard to get brewery only beers. You have some nice beers there that are pretty readily accessible but they are not on that level at all. I would try to compile some more reasonable wants. Do a little research and you should be able to find something you want that is realistic for those beers.

7. Dyalango

Dyalango Aficionado (185) District of Columbia Oct 23, 2012 Verified

Understood they're rare and certainly of more value than what I have, just trying to determine a reasonable ask. Thanks for input.

Apologies for multiple thread.

8. I can't wait till 2-4 years from now when BA's will be begging and sucking each other off for a Bolt Cutter! LOL! Just my humble opinion tho!

9. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (440) Michigan Oct 4, 2010 Verified

Says the guy who bought a bunch of bottles in NY when it got released early. Judging from the reactions to BC so far I would say the chances of it becoming highly desired in 2-4 years are slim to none.

MarkIntihar and Knifestyles like this.
  10. TWStandley

TWStandley Champion (785) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2008 Subscriber

After consuming a Bolt Cutter - I am not sure any trade for it is worth it....hell, it's not even worth the shipping cost. Total bust IMHO.

11. Like I give a rat's ass about what others think about what I like or don't! LOL! I bought a few because people asked me to... and I have a couple to age. I'm totally cool with that!!! It's a Great Beer, and I am really looking forward to it's development!

12. ISO: Bolt Cutter FT: Stuff you think it's worse than

I'll take all I can get!

augustg likes this.
  13. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (440) Michigan Oct 4, 2010 Verified

I
    I didn't make any comment about wether you liked it or not. We are all welcome to like whatever we want. I commented on you saying people are going to be sucking eachother off for bottles of it in two years. I disagree with you in that regard. That is all.

14. Just like any beer... We'll see! ;) On my behalf I am a NY Met fan... sooooooo... Hey, we have David "Dumbass" Wright locked up for what will seem like EVER!!! LOL!

15. I just have a really good feeling about this brew... I've had fresh and 5-10 year old BW's/Quads/Stouts/Bock's, and IMHO... the oldie almost always kills the fresh-faced young brew! It's something else completely... I get that!

16. augustg

augustg Savant (290) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

Couldn't agree more on the BC. A great beer now and will likely develop into something better over time. Pretty much off the shelves at this point so trade for it BEFORE the trade value ends up where it eventually will be.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  17. Wish I didn't have to wait for the earth to revolve around the sun 10 times for my Bolt Cutter to taste good :(

18. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I lol'd.

TWStandley likes this.
  19. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

In 2-4 years we will have 2-400 more "Bolt Cutter" like beers. True whales will finally go extinct. We will sound like old farts talking about threads like this while the newbies auction off their small batch empty-PVW-bottle aged chili lagers. BC will be forgotten, just as deca has.

20. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

OP, if you are new to trading, I wouldn't start with trying to land BA DL or BA Huna as those bottles are difficult to obtain. Start small with maybe trading some locals for locals and then work your way up. I've had some trading buddies where we have started local for locals and then started receiving beer I never thought I would try as we continued trading. Just my .02.

Torgo likes this.
  21. thegoon55

thegoon55 Savant (490) Massachusetts Oct 27, 2012 Verified

Trading non whalez for whalez!?!? You must be insane in the membrane!!

reto21 likes this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Champion (770) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008 Verified

I was in Waterbury CT over the weekend, and there's something like 6 cases to be had at 3 different locations. The whole Triad area here didn't get anything close to that amount, maybe they figured with guys sucking up great stuff in VT unloading a lot of BC would be a cinch. Not working out that way.

23. Ya know, I thought the same thing on here when 2008 Angels Share came out, that in several years it would be trading like crazy once it mellowed out. <looks left, looks right> Nope, just another subpar beer lost to history.

Bolt Clutter lacks the body to last; like most Founders beer it is too thin to carry the flavors any length of time, and will be an overpriced imitation of a winter warmer in two years.

24. IT WILL TASTE PROBABLY THE SAME IN TEN DAYS LOL!

libbey, JulianB, MarkIntihar and 6 others like this.
  25. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

How is a yearly release with multiple QC issues depending on the year even remotely comparable to Bolt Cutter?

Says the man with 0 Bolt Cutters.

26. hmm. first review of bolt cutter:

[​IMG]

if all you cared about was how it tasted, why are you talking it up in a trade value thread?

domtronzero and MordorMongo like this.
  27. Demer

Demer Aficionado (245) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Seems like everyone purchased Bolt Cutter just to trade judging by the FT forum.

28. Yep, and will stay that way. After trying KBS, Backwoods Bastard, and a few others I've easily forgotten, I've found I don't like what Founders is putting out. Ergo, I have not, and will not trade for it. I did however get to try it first thing this weekend, and it was unanimously found to not live up to any hype. Lots of phenols, thin body, anticlimactic really- like most Founders. But I'm sure you and every other BA out there with an armful of the stuff will sing its praises for months to come. Let me know how that stuff is doing in two years, I'm sure you will find it "epically sublime" or some such nonesense.

Back to the point of value- it may as well be counted as shelf whale for the moment. After which it will settle possibly at Abyss levels in releases.

29. I hope you were kidding...internets doesn't show sarcasm well...

30. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I meant I have 0 bottles of Bolt Cutter.

And I think your opinion on Founders as a whole is insane, even if I also didn't care for Bolt Cutter. Then again I might have to revisit BC since your thoughts on Founders are way off IMO.

Edit*
    and you for some reason thought Angel's Share '08 would have any real trade value EVER.

Horbar and dblab33 like this.
  31. NOT SAYING THAT SOMEONE'S TASTE COULD BE DIFFERENT BUT IN LIKE TEN DAYS ISNT EVEN THAT REALLY LONG THO SO WHO KNOWS IT MITE CHANGE BUT I PROABABLY WOULDNT!!!!

libbey, Smurf2055, JulianB and 7 others like this.
  32. Thanks for your insight, JeffK

33. paulys55

paulys55 Advocate (725) Pennsylvania Aug 2, 2010 Verified

I'm assuming he meant that the earth revolves around the sun once a year.

cavedave and franklinn like this.
  35. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Oh i get it you live on a different planet.

Love,
    Chad

franklinn and paulys55 like this.
  36. Yes, because 10 revolutions around our sun on this planet is roughly equivalent to ten years. :) some fuzzy or buzzed math there...

37. yep, but the joke is that subpoenadeuces is pretending to be a common idiot who confused the concept of heliocentric orbit with axial rotation. unfortunately, as is common in such jokery, he has convinced many readers that he is the genuine article.

38. Yep, back in 2008 when Lost Abbey was today's it-girl I honestly did. People are wrong sometimes, no?

And I truly don't like Founders. Nothing has wowed me to this date and isn't worth the effort to obtain it to me. It's like trading for an equivalent of Seven Seas or something. Good for you liking them, they just font float my boat. Get over it.

Levitation likes this.
  39. K good, this makes me feel better :). On a side note- I had a friend do something similar a lot in high school, it was funny, until they put him in a special Ed class lol. We all had a good laugh for a semester except for him.

MarkIntihar and Levitation like this.
  40. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (345) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Just what I was thinking