1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vanity Fair interview with Shaun Hill, Hill Farmstead

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeCactusGordon, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

From my experience on RB, every time I look at a beer it's either extremely high (if its rare) or extremely low if its pedestrian. There's little middle ground there.

Bung likes this.
  2. More like full of himself but trying real hard not to be. Didn't come across as very "genuine." Whatever ... The beer is good.

rrryanc and Bung like this.
  3. In my experience, the average rating is almost always lower over there than it is here (e.g. Pliny the Elder averages 4.26 over there and 4.65 on here). That's why some of my friend's joke around and call it HateBeer. ;)

4. Catchy_Name

But it's still a perfect 100. It takes less for a beer over there to get a high score. A 4.26 on BA would be mid 90's probably.

5. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

I have met Shaun and found him to be a really smart,honest,passionate guy. In today's society those attributes are looked down upon by many people. He does what he does for a great quality of life. Why hate on him. As long as the beer is good,it's really good,who cares if he might come off as a douche. Most great brewers have a little DB in them anyway.

6. Pliny is a 100 overall here to. What is your point? The overall scores are relative to other ratings on each site. They are calculated mathematically. Do you not understand simple math? You said
    In fact, they are underrated, in comparison to this site. Ratings and scores are different. The ratings on that site are much lower than on this site. I have no idea how you could argue against that.

They have two scores over there. One is relative to all beers and one is relative to beers within that style. They do have scores that fall in the middle, as well.

7. Because most people over there rate lower than most of the people over there.

8. He makes SAISONS, he is the single best thing since sliced Jesus.

9. I also studied Philosophy in school and I appreciate how the drippings of existentialism permeate his words and his outlook on life. The things he says and the way he says them are very thoughtful to me. He sounds very disciplined to me. Existence precedes essence....

Shaun sounds like he's exactly where he wants to be. He makes really great beer, too! I would never wish that he move his operation, or wish he made his beer more accessible to me, or that he'd change his life to satisfy my interests. Instead, I only wish I didnt live so far away.

10. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Well put it this way, lets take you doing your day job, whatever that is. And you have a captive audience who come from all over New England, watching over your shoulder in everything you do, for 5 hours every day. During this time, they want to take pictures with you, hang out with you, ask you questions about what you're doing and all of that. Day after day, more people keep coming and asking the same questions. Some days are worse than others, but every day there is always a gaggle of people watching you work. How long would you be ok with that? There are people who can handle it well obviously, but there's probably a point for most people where you just would rather work in peace.

11. You had instant credibility at "Rad Dude."

4kbrianb and DaveHack like this.
  12. Catchy_Name

Yes I can read. But I noticed both scores are 100's while here Pliny 4.6x and there its 4.2x was my point. It has a lower rating but its still 100 is my point. I've never paid much attention to how the scores are calculated between both sites. I like to spend my time actually enjoying my beer as opposed to sipping 2 oz. samples of it alone with my computer. When I look at Pliny I pay more attention to the 100 it has rather than the 4.6x. It's a quicker way to get an idea of how people view that beer.

13. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

He lost me at the dreaming about brewers part. Hill seems like a smart, thoughtful guy, but he's just a brewer.

jjpm74 and cg123 like this.
  14. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

This pretty much explains why I sympathize with Shaun. I have a job that many would consider to be a dream job. I live on a mountain in the woods and take care of a camping facility, and get paid to do it... it's a pretty sweet gig. Anyone who recognizes my avatar knows where I work and knows why it's so famous. This coming weekend alone we are looking at possibly upwards of 1500 people passing through to ski the ravine and they're all going to stop by and ask me the same questions that I've answered a thousand times already. "Do you live up here?" or "How long do you stay up here?" or "How do you get all your food up here?" or "Is your cabin heated?"... and the list of FAQ's goes on and on. So, It's not that I don't love my job and it's not that I don't want to talk with them, I just get a little annoyed when everyone wants to chat with me and I just want to sit quietly and eat my lunch.

Rochefort10nh and penniwisdom like this.
  15. Exactly. Even the most self-absorbed egomaniac gets tired of this sometimes. I am by no means calling Shaun a self-absorbed egomaniac. I think he seems like a cool guy and gives his honest opinion in his responses.

16. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Not to me.

VonZipper likes this.
  17. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Property is quite expensive in certain parts of Vermont. Any town surrounding a ski area is going to have property values through the roof. That is primarily why many of those residences are owned by 2nd homeowners who need more of a place to chill for apres ski than anything else.

I think many people are mis-interpreting the interview in a variety of ways. I admit that sometimes, I pull that hero worship crap on brewers that I like. It takes time and experience to realize that said people are not rock stars. They have lives. They have interests other than their chosen profession.

18. I find it more useful to look at the average ratings. It is equally quick to look at the average ratings. If you don't understand how a score is calculated, then why would you give it any credibility? It is very easy to understand how an average rating is calculated.

I also enjoy drinking beer and am drinking one as I type this. Trust me there is much more than 2 oz in my glass. I am not a ticker, if that is what you were trying to imply. I like to think of myself more as a functional alcoholic with exquisite taste. ;)

Finally, you were incorrect in your original assertion and that is all I was commenting on. If you had said that you like this site better or the way things are done here better, then I would have agreed with you. No hard feelings, bro.

19. I haven't made the trip up to VT to have any of Shaun's beers, but I did get a chance to try Everett and it was pretty impressive. I'm also a huge fan of the business strategy, and I think it's an approach we're going to see more and more of in the coming future. It's a strategy that, to me, makes the most sense. We see a ton of breweries expanding to meet demand, and also being pressured by distributors to fill orders. This leads to decisions that, usually, have a huge impact on the overall product. A lot of it comes down to business, who's behind it and who are the brewers answering to? In this case, Shaun answers to himself.

So, what's so wrong with being quaint? With a background in philosophy, it's extremely apparent that he's not in this just to turn a profit. Shaun's in this because it makes sense to him in how he wants to live his life. Who wouldn't want to own and operate a small brewery, in a remote location, living only a few feet from the brew house, while making small batches of whatever your heart desires? Oh, and lets not forget, debt free. I know I would.

As for him coming across as a douche, take a second and step back and really look at what he's doing. The amount of employees alone should scream how hard Shaun has worked to get this far. Ambitions to have a stone bread oven, raising chickens, as well as operating a brewery, are just a few entries mentioned from his journals. Think about what else could have possibly gone through his mind; this guy has been around the spectrum with his thoughts. Then, to have people asking you to create a recipe for them to sell at their own brewery is just downright insulting. Insulting enough to question humanity and desire that cabin in the woods.

I, for one, love what Shaun's doing and hope he doesn't change much. I'm very excited to take the trip up there sometime soon and get a real, first hand, perspective on what he's accomplished.

VonZipper and grassrootsVT like this.
  20. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

As if if you were in his position you would pretend to be fake-modest.

Obviously knows his shit, and has a healthy scorn for the church of capitalism.

vonnegut21 and Retail1LO like this.
  21. Catchy_Name

I don't use ratings as anything other than a quick reference to how a beer is viewed. When trying to get a broader view of a beer, I just read the reviews. How the numbers are calculated is something I've never taken the time to pay attention to. And from what I've seen, everything remotely rare on RB is a 99-100.

With that said, I enjoy this site much more. I spend very little time on there, and what little time I spend there is trading.

22. I agree that there are more things that get scores of 100 and the high 90s on there. Scores are calculated differently on both sites, that's why I look at average ratings. I take into account that people rate lower over there. The scores here haven't always been the same as they are now. Not long ago, this site had letter grades instead of scores. The changeover is what made me pay more attention to average rating than scores.

23. Right on! Nice beers, but nothing epic!

ShogoKawada likes this.
  24. It sounds to me like he should scale down production and cut back on the hours for the retail shop. Seems like a win-win from his perspective. Less people showing up, and more time to be left alone. It's simple. In reality, I think he wants to profit, as all business owners do, and that is why he doesn't do this.

He comes off as a bit whiney, if you don't like the way things are, change them. Take on some debt and build a seperate retail store. So many ways to fix what he complained about, but whatever. I don't plan on ever meeting the guy or going to Vermont, just seemed he was whining about lying in the bed he made.

He has total control over his situation, something most of us do not have. He should make it satisfactory to his self.

25. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

The guy has hour and a half lines at his door. You don't think he can't remodel, add on, or make some changes to give himself some privacy? I doubt the guy needs to rent a hole in the wall dump to get away for a bit. What about building a wall between the retail shop and brewery? I'm sure the guy is stressed out with all the frenzy going on at the retail end of things while trying to manage the brewing operations, but I can't believe there isn't a solution to the madness. I'll never make it out there, but would hate to see a brewer with his talent stress out over something like this.

26. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

It's definitely hectic at the brewery to get beers, however, the socializing in line both outside and in..is very pleasant. They also offer flights of the beers on tap. It can take up to 2 hours to get through the process, but, it's both worth it, and fun... as well as an enjoyable road trip through some beautiful, remote areas of Vermont.

27. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

It’s just too much. I wish it wasn’t like that. My driveway is completely full. Man, success is fucking stressful . . . ” -Shaun Hill, Hill Farmstead Brewery

Is this real life?

If that were my son, I'd say "You pipe down, boy. Put your head down and get back to work. And next time you feel like complaining about the amount of attention you're receiving, DON'T DO THE INTERVIEW WITH VANITY FAIR!"

AleFredO, tzieser, Ledunt and 13 others like this.
  28. VTMoondog

easy buddy....easy. You are talking about a fellow vt'er here.

29. ehammond1

You'll have to elaborate.

30. VTMoondog

As a Vermonter, I take offense when someone takes umberage with another Vermonter..particularly when it is missing context. While i have never met Shaun, but suspect I will at some point, as friends of mine know him well, I think his take on his sudden fame is justified. Everyone and their brother wants his beer, and an interview. I'm sure he grants them, with some trepidation. To blast him for taking on Vanity Fair (which for fairness, he should know has WIDE circulation) and telling them honestly how he feels about this sudden fame, is unfair. Give the man time to adjust...both his sense of the fame, as well as his business model if need be. It seems to me, that Shaun IS into his work, and not the fame...so therefore...lighten up.

31. ehammond1

I lol'd.
    Is it not missing context. The context is the Vanity Fair article, and the Vanity Fair article only. That's the subject, and context, of this discussion.
    No, the only thing I will give Shaun Hill is my money in exchange for his beers.
    Clearly.
    Disagree completely.

AleFredO, atone315, Rempo and 7 others like this.
  32. If it were my son I'd say, "son, I get first dibs on all of your beers." He's in his 30s and wildly successful. You really think he needs his parents to give him a hard time for a VF interview?

33. PHILOSOPHY

IMAGINATION

YEAST

WATER

HARD WORK

34. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

I stopped reading right here

35. Have you ever talked to a philosophy major before?

36. "A lot of brewers now go straight from home brewing into making a chili-chocolate-chipotle porter or whatever, and it’s like . . . well, just fucking make a good porter first, and understand what a porter is instead of trying to re-invent it."

The man spits cold hard facts.

37. haha thanks man... it's the little things I guess.

38. My niece works for VF in NYC and told me that the writer is the son of one of the editors, and a real beer-geek. It was his idea to go up and interview Shaun for a lifestyle piece, and I think he did a fine job, given Shaun's insular (by choice) lifestyle.

39. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Insular, except when just about anyone from the press comes calling.

The irony is strong with this one.

40. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

Eh. Seems like a lot of folks here are are displeased with the guy speaking his mind, but I'm not sure any of us would feel any differently if our lives went from 0-60 at the same rate that Shaun Hill's has in the past 3 years. Going from a relatively remote lifestyle, handling a steady flow of customers 4 days a week, to hosting swarms of people 4 days a week from which there's literally no escape is a pretty surreal change. And then there's the publicity that comes with it...

I get that complaining about success is rubbing some people here the wrong way, but at the same time it's difficult, if not impossible, to plan for this level of success, and more importantly it's definitely impossible to plan for the level of publicity that has come with it. Maybe I'm being overly generous, but I don't think 3 years is a very long time to figure out how to restructure and re-scale your entire existence, personally and professionally. As he mentions in the interview, he needs to physically build out the property a bit so he can separate his personal life from the business. I imagine that would be good for both him and his customers.

To a large degree, this has nothing to do with beer. This is a guy managing a small but explosively growing business as best he can and frankly doing a pretty good job satisfying his customers - I can't bring myself to level too much criticism at him for complaining about growing pains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.