1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vanity Fair interview with Shaun Hill, Hill Farmstead

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeCactusGordon, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Well color me impressed.
    StylzMC likes this.
  2. If you google Nietzsche quotes the first link has those three 1st, 3rd, and 5th, so I don't think it took that long. Probably why they aren't exactly contradictory to the matched ones.
    StylzMC and franklinn like this.
  3. Shaun Hill isn't the only person who studied philosophy in college.
  4. franklinn

If he were, I doubt there would be philosophy programs. Hardly sustainable with only one student.

In that same vein, you're not the only one who can respond to things out of context, as you can plainly see.
    Rutager and StylzMC like this.
  5. I was being a wise-ass. He quotes Nietzsche in the article and names some of his beer after Nietzsche's work so, like an asshole, I paired his statements up with some of Nietzsche's that contradict them. So yeah, it's out of context and slanted but he still sounds like a jerk in that article.
  6. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Didn't mean to get your feathers all ruffled up. But thank you for clearing that up for me. I shall now take this knowledge forth with me in my quest to become the smartest and most knowledgable Beer Advocate ever!
  7. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Vermont Jul 28, 2010

I used to drive out to the Kingdom on a regular basis to get growler fills and score a few bottles. But now... oh man, I can't even go out there. It's just too much. I wish it wasn't like that.
    StylzMC likes this.
  8. franklinn

None of this needed clarification, it was already obvious :).
    JuliusCaesar likes this.
  9. Best reply yet.
    2beerdogs and Hermthegerm like this.
  10. The problem is people drive 6 hours and expect a handjob. Bunch of stalker groupies. People call him a dbag but won't stop buying his beer for rare trades.
  11. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

No too familiar with that Bob Dylan lyric but I like it, however, thats not the issue. As he said in the interview, it's "managing chaos all the time" and that certainly takes a lot out of you. Personally, I don't know Shaun well enough to say one way or another whether or not he is a great guy or just a selfish prick. What I did get from this interview though, was that he's gotten way more than he bargained for when he decided to open this brewery three years ago and the stress from that shows. I only sympathize with this because we've all seen how our society treats famous people... with little or no respect for personal boundaries (classic example being paparazzi and celebrities). My job plays into this simply because of the fame and history of the destination but I'm sure Shaun gets it worse.
  12. Welcome to the real world: where running a business is hard work and the future is uncertain. I mean, in terms of starting a new business, I hope entrepreneurs really think through what could happen:

It might be very successful, you may have no commute to work, and it might spawn legions of loyal customers while said business remains entirely debt free!

The horror, the horror. . .
  13. Kinsman

Maybe I'm just not reading your posts right, but I'm under the impression that you seem to think that when someone becomes successful at their work they have given up their right to be human and feel stress or anxiety from the job.
    FatBoyGotSwagger and BOBPINCH666 like this.
  14. I mean the things I write and say, not the things you project and assume that I think.
    rrryanc and ehammond1 like this.
  15. Kinsman

No projecting or assuming going on here. I read your posts and simply disagree with your take on him. No worries though, as long as the brewery keeps pumping out tasty beverages I don't really care what the brewer does or says.
  16. Well if you read my first comment on the matter, you'd see we agree about what really matters (i.e. your last sentence).
  17. I don't think he cares what people in Nevada think.
  18. What if they pledge allegiance to Hitler?

/invokes Godwin's law for 50 points.
    franklinn, Rempo and ShogoKawada like this.
  19. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I don't think too many people care what Hill thinks... they just want to drink his beer.
  20. Never said he did. Read for content or thanks for the unsolicited opinion. Cool story bro.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  21. do the people complaining about how much of a dbag he sounds ever read a thread here?
    omniscientcause and mrhartounian like this.
  22. Kinsman

These multipage threads get me all the time. Totally glanced over that first post with this part:
    And thats just it. I've read other interviews with him and seen him on multiple occasions at the brewery but until I actually meet him, I'll withhold my judgement about what kind of guy he is. The beer is what really matters.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  23. He's A dbag and a bunch of dbags line up to buy his beer. Just the beer game today. A bunch of tears.
  24. In order of importance:

1. Jesus Christ
    2.Mahatma Ghandi
    3. Shaun "E." Hill

Wait...did I screw up the order...?
  25. But they line up obviously they care what he thinks. His mind brings the beer you drive 6 hours for.
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  26. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Just because they like his beer doesn't mean they care what he thinks(outside of beer). Does Hill care what his patrons think? Doubtful; all money spends the same. And for what it's worth, I haven't, and wouldn't, drive 6 hours for his beer.
    tzieser likes this.
  27. Damn don't brew good beer the people who seek it are retarded.
    StylzMC and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  28. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

This.
  29. If he is that stressed, then just hire me. I will handle the business side, he can just stay in the back and brew the beer. One of you VT'ers who are tight with him should let him know I'm interested. Problem solved.
  30. So why is he stressing out so much about it? Brew some beer, sell it. Pretty simple. You don't have to let the people come to your house.
  31. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Shaun's house is close enough to the brewery that a stray hose and the right door being open could spray it with beer. People have knocked on his door at unimaginable hours when the brewery was closed, demanding beer. It could get old.

I met Shaun a few years before HF opened. He just wanted to have a small brewery on the property his family has owned for 200+ years because he loves making good beer and wanted to make a living without moving away. Not to put words in his mouth, but he was likely blindsided by the popularity of HF. The original plan did not even include a tap room or bottle shop; this was just a carrot dangled before his nose by regulators during permit negotiations, and it sounded good (careful what you wish for). And he does have plans to expand the tasting room and move it out of the brewery proper... there was some resistance from neighbors worried about increased traffic - 1-2 vehicles per hour to hundreds in a 6 hour period was quite a jolt. My understanding is that he got the permits and there will be a separate building for visitors soon.
  32. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

I was up there about 3 week or so ago and it was a very weird experience. We got there at 1030 on a Thursday and no one was there. We saw Shaun moving pallets of bottles into the building and as we were walking around the car and taking some pics we offered to help with anything and he gave us a look and kind of ignored us and really looked like he was pissed with the world the whole time. Later as we waiting in line my brother was taking his beers out to the car and my brother said something to him about his beers and the great stuff he is doing and he actually said something about like he thought we were "assholes or something" (direct quote). I thought we were being nice.
  33. smonice

Oh and I will still drive the 6 hours to get his beer because its fuking fantastic and the staff inside were awesome!!
  34. smonice

I want to comment further on this because I think after I wrote it it came off the wrong way. Mr. Hill has a hell of a job to satisfy the masses with his beers and I am sure he actually gets quite a few assholes up there from time to time and everyone has bad days. Reading his interview everything clicked and I can't say that I wouldn't get there again early and offer to help.
  35. Does he carry a cross over his shoulders too?

Seriously though. He makes awesome beer. He is entitled to run his business any way he wants. But he also takes himself way too seriously.
    CORKSCREWFISH and BGrider85 like this.
  36. wait... you were serious?
    blazegeneral likes this.
  37. Reminds me of Franklin's BBQ in Austin. Crazy long line before they open, and they sell out with people still in line. Aaron Franklin has said they work for 22 hours making BBQ, and sell it all in 2 hours, then they do it over again.

Better than not being busy is what I say.

Edit - the food magazines have had similar interviews with Aaron Franklin, and have proclaimed it the best BBQ in the universe. I agree.
    PackieMcHopHead and kbuzz like this.
  38. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

In about five years Shaun Hill is going to totally break all your hearts, quit brewing, and open a winery.
  39. Shaun is an honest person who honestly answers questions about his famously obvious case of the bends that he is having trouble articulating/comprehending in the first place while simultaneously experiencing/dealing with it the best he can...and people call him a snob.

Remember Shaun: "They hate if you're clever, and despise a fool."

You can't win.
  40. Lay off the shrooms, and the HF kool-aid.
    CORKSCREWFISH and BGrider85 like this.
  41. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Love this man's BBQ!

EDIT: I know this has nothing to do with pretentious S. Hill's brewery or whatever this thread is rambling about, but I've just been obsessed with BBQ Pitmasters and got excited to see this name pop up...sorry everyone...

Arbitrary bickering...resume! :D
    2beerdogs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.