1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vanity Fair interview with Shaun Hill, Hill Farmstead

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeCactusGordon, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I hope he isn't reading this thread. Combine the last couple pages of discourse with a little late-night Nietzsche or Kierkegaard, and all bets are off.
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  2. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Insight into Hill's sensibility can be gleaned from a close reading of Nietzsche's long essay, On the Genealogy of Customer Service (which was itself written to help clarify the themes in his earlier, frequently misunderstood Beyond Good and Bro-Dude).

The interview suggested to me that Hill's a serious guy who approaches his work with a strong sense of vocation, and I can't imagine these qualities aren't closely connected to the reputedly outstanding quality of his brew.
  3. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

He's kind of the eccentric, out-there type. I'm agree though, he shouldn't have to throw on a hat and dance for the people buying beer in his driveway. He could be the biggest douche in the world, but in the end, the beer speaks for him.
    P.S. He looks like a balding/older Vinny Chase/Adrian Grenier.
  4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

He makes great beer, that's his passion, if he's happy why would anyone else care? Everyone bitches about the In Bev empire and here's the 180 on that, but guys are ripping him? I don't get it. Here's a guy in remote VT doing what he loves and he constantly hits Hr's with his brews, that kinda success could be a staggering weight. Guys want more than he could possibly brew, and the success is astounding, maybe overwhelming. I look forward to meeting him in May though.
    VonZipper and skivtjerry like this.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

He's reading this thread. He liked a post on page 4.

Hi Shaun! You make great beer! I want it in mah bellah!
    2beerdogs and VonZipper like this.
  6. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

Put a gate up at the end of your driveway, Shaun. Problem solved.
    Hermthegerm likes this.
  7. Very apt analogy. I've been to both places and that's dead on. These guys are both artists and craftsmen. No compromises, even at the expense of profit or their convenience.

For the record, went up to HFS yesterday afternoon. My first time. No line whatsoever at 4:30, it was a beautiful thing. Made the expereience that much better. (Would have liked to have met Shaun though.) And for whatever reason, no crowds at the Waterbury bars later that night. A wonderful serene evening of tasting the best beers on the planet in relative peace and quiet with friends.
  8. draheim

I think he liked my post on p4 too. I'm giggling like a schoolgirl! Never had a HF beer yet tho :(
  9. impending

impending Advocate (570) California Mar 12, 2010

totally off topic but brf having read this and your next post paragraph - I gotta ask . . what is it you do?
    cheers
    jd

on topic
    WTF, Shaun is doing it his way, good for him, good for us, good
    VonZipper likes this.
  10. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

I'm waiting for the impending completion of this sentence...
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Just let the guy make his delicious, delicious beer.
  12. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Why he can't hire a friend or someone else who would want to run his retail shop is beyond me...I'm sure you he could pay someone in beer to cover the work he seemingly doesn't enjoy doing.
  13. MastaShonuf

MastaShonuf Savant (375) California Jan 21, 2013

Keeping it smaller, keeps the control better. I quite enjoyed the couple things I have had from HF and would not want him getting too big. Places like Russian River have survived on top because of not being too big but big enough to meet most demand.

Lagunitas was much better when they were brewing less beers and was not shipping all over the place. Many of the beers have suffered through mass production.
  14. Already did.
  15. I get what he's saying. It started off as a hobby, turned into a small operation, and then the internet spreads word and he's overrun. There are only two ways to go, and both of them aren't ideal for someone who just wanted a small, quiet operation in VT. You either let the onslaught happen or you scale up, make a bigger job out of it, and possibly compromise quality. Either way, the small quiet operation in VT is over.

I recently made the trip up to The Alchemist and realized HF was an hour away or so, but simultaneously saw that they were not open on Mondays. Oh well. Maybe next time. I get a lot of weekdays off, so maybe a day trip at some point on a Thursday or Friday.
  16. This seems like a pretty simple fix- gate with a chain lock at the base of the road. No?
    tzieser likes this.
  17. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Nope, other people live on the road. There isn't a private road to the brewery, it is off a road shared by others.
  18. jomobono

Also I may be wrong but I think he doesn't like the lines because I think he feels bad that people have to wait in line for his beer.
    Auror, pixieskid and grassrootsVT like this.
  19. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

If people wanting to meet me and shoot the shit were a feature of my typical workday I'd likely find another job.
  20. stupac2

Surely there's some point at which the road is only going to his place. I mean, he has to have a driveway, right?
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  21. jomobono

[​IMG]
  22. stupac2

Hah, wow, that idea definitely won't work then.
  23. draheim

Well, there is this new invention called a "fence"...
  24. jomobono

Aww, that would be sad. Plus that whole area is all nice and open for the fests and camping.
  25. draheim

I'm just saying, if it's a real problem concerning his privacy and people showing up at all hours, a fence with a gate might provide a solution. Maybe not ideal, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't want a security system on my house, but being burglarized once was enough to change my mind.
  26. jomobono

I didn't know it was a huge problem he was having. Who shows up at a brewery at night saying give me beer, can't happen that often right? Not enough to lock the place down I guess.
  27. draheim

No idea. I was just basing it on this post.
  28. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Foucault!!!!
    Etan likes this.
  29. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

He comes across and looks like a Douche, but maybe I do as well!!

I just wish I could taste some of his beer to decide for myself on how good it is!!
  30. jomobono

You do!!! ;)
    ChanChan likes this.
  31. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

"I wear my heart on my sleeve, and my heart is a douchebag"
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  32. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I suspect it's people showing up too early in the day...
  33. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Vermont Jul 28, 2010

I'm sure these personal attacks will make Shaun much more receptive and eager to meet all the strangers that convene on his property.

Respect Beer. Respect Brewers.
  34. stupac2

Average BA: "Shaun, you're a douchebag, now give me your .rar walez bro."
    JustBill and draheim like this.
  35. I'm embarrassed at the amount of negativity in this thread, coming from so many folks who claim Shaun's a douchebag yet probably have never met him.

He's a unique guy with a unique vision to his craft who has done little-to-nothing personal to you. I think many of his comments are just plain honest, but too many people take them out of context from an editorial piece that probably has a bit of a spin on it (most editorial pieces do).
  36. Agreed. Someone even said he "looks like a douche". I just don't get the nastiness.
    Lurkerson likes this.
  37. stupac2

To some people doing thing like quoting dead philosophers automatically makes you a douchebag. Those people can be safely ignored.
    nanobrew, oregone and VonZipper like this.
  38. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Not to mention his little slice of paradise owned by the family for centuries? I'm sure fests and camping rank a smidge below on his priority scale.

I too would tire of answering the same inevitable questions, putting on a PR face and being observed like a zoo animal day after day...all while taking pleasure in sharing my craft and appreciating the business people bring. Oh, the duplicity.
  39. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

40. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

This is why you should never talk to the media.
    ehammond1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.