1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vast difference between Elysian IPAs bottled and draft

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I remember a number of years ago having a Prometheus IPA at the Capitol Hill pub that was fantastic. When the bottles came out recently, I was disappointed in the aroma and the flavor. I remember it being much more hop forward with a bold citrus aroma and flavor on tap. I thought the difference might have been a change in recipe in the year or so between first draft offerings and the first bottling.

Then, last night I had a Valhalla Red IPA, again at the Cap Hill pub, and thought it was mighty tasty. I just opened a bottle, to wait for trick-or-treaters, and was super disappointed. Much maltier than the draft version I had on tap.

What gives? I know there is often a difference between draft and bottle, but these are like two different beers.

2. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

most likely the bottles are old compared to the fresh beer you had on draft.

3. Valhalla red just hit shelves.

4. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (340) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

While I have not tried the Elysian beers in question, I can identify with what you are talking about. Here in Anchorage, Broken Tooth Brewing (formerly Moose's Tooth) brews a beer called Fairweather IPA that is available on draft and in cans. Both are extremely fresh, but there is a noticeable difference between the two. The canned version is a bit more balanced with a more noticeable malt character. On tap, the citrus and floral notes are more pronounced. Not sure what accounts for that.

5. Right. This is my point. With that said and since Elysian doesn't bottle date, I really have no idea when these were actually bottled. And with that said, it seems like even the hops used in Valhalla are different bottle to keg. There is actually one other fairly reasonable explanation --- my server brought me the wrong beer last night. The IPAs on the board were Space Dust, Immortal, Prometheus, and Valhalla.

6. BTW, Broken Tooth/Moose's Tooth is fucking awesome. I don't care what they call it. Their pizza rocks my world.

7. I've had similar experiences with boundary bays ipas. Always enjoy them on tap but seem to be really soapy out of the bottle.

8. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (340) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Agreed, the pizza is outstanding. The place is still called Moose's Tooth. They just changed the name of the brewing operation. And they are now canning two of their beers. Cans are only available at Moose's Tooth or Bear Tooth Theater/Pub.