1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Venison fillet with blackberry compote

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Thehuntmaster, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I visited a local resaurant about two weeks ago and ordered Eland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eland) fillet with a blackberry compote - it was absolutely divine. I want to have a go at making it at home and was wondering what beer would be the best accompaniment? My first reaction was something like Rochefort 10; any thoughts?

I would guess most have not eaten Eland, so for reference, it is fairly strong flavored, quite wild and dark.
  2. Tripel Karmeliet. It will accentuate the sweet, contrast the salt, and provide some subtle spice to complement the gaminess and tie everything together.

If you want a lager, or something darker then kill two birds and go with a Schwarzbier, which will have less body and emphasize the saltiness of the meat and sweetness of the compote, while providing those additional roasty, clean flavors for contrast.
  3. BBQ, would help carry some of the strong gamey flavors while accentuating the sweetness of the compote.
  4. Interesting choice, I never would have thought to go with a pale beer - for some reason quads and BSDA were stuck in my head.
  5. I have never had BBQ, looks like an interesting beer!
  6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

2 ideas:
    A BSDA like Rochefort 8/10 will always be awesome, or try something a little less traditional like Monk's Blood or The Stoic to complement the fruit and savory/spicy characters.

Something lighter/hoppier with enough power to cut through the fats and salts of the meat without weighing you down or competing with the food. Rayon Very would be great IMO, the light citrus and herbal hops would also blend with the food while the Brett/tart notes and carbonation would keep it refreshing. Cheers!
  7. its one of my favorites. Try to get one.
  8. Tripels are usually full-bodied so if that's the reason you were thinking of something dark, just know that a pale beer would work just as well. Schwarzbiers are generally not full-bodied, but they have roasty notes whereas Tripels do not. Either choice would work, but they will provide different levels of experience. A beer that is too full AND rich with roasty flavor will detract from the dish. You want the beer to complement the dish, not detract from it. A beer pale beer with low malt character (like a pale ale or an IPA) will not complement this dish either. So go full & fruity or light & roasty. I think that a decent Tripel would actually pair slightly better.
  9. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

i like to pair my first venison harvest of the season with blueberries and kbs. nothin better than fresh backstrap and kbs. probably not the easiest for you to get, hell it's hard for me to get. but try something barrel aged, if you dont like it just set it aside and have it for dessert.
  10. That's an interesting choice, I never would have thought of a bourbon barrel ages stout!