1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vermont beer run

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by kabritz, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Having found out that Canadian duty on beer is ridiculously cheaper than what's charged for wine (it's only $2 per case of 24, apparently), I'll be making a half-day beer run to VT in a couple of weeks.

Heady is obviously the primary target, which is why I'm going to South Burlington on a Monday. I'll also pick up some Magic Hat and a few Sam Adams Latitude 48's.

Unfortunately 14th Star is closed on Mondays and Hill Farmstead is a bit too far east given time constraints.

Any particular recommendations in the St-Alban's/Burlington area? Much appreciated.

2. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Savant (320) Vermont May 11, 2012

Must stop -> Fiddlehead, in Shelburne, about 15 minutes south of Burlington. The flagship IPA is definitely worth the extra drive. After stopping at Magic Hat, just keep heading south on route 7.

Others -> Zero Gravity in Burlington (inside American Flatbread) does growlers and has great flatbread/pizza. Switchback Brewing in Burlington also does growlers (you can find their bottles at nearly every beverage stores). ZG posts their tap list on FB page (or maybe on Am Flatbread page).

Also, Pearl St Beverage Store (Burlington) and U-Save Beverage Center in South Burlington both have growler stations with a few different taps (not always VT beer, but always decent selections). Both post photos of their growler board on their FB pages.

Rhf9120, BoldRulerVT and kabritz like this.
  3. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (365) Vermont Oct 2, 2013

Kabritz, try picking up Long Trail Limbo. It's actually really, really good. Maybe the best Long Trail I've had since...ever?

jamesewelch and kabritz like this.
  4. vtcraft

vtcraft Aficionado (115) Vermont Apr 1, 2013

Beveragewarehouse house for best bottle selection

5. I would investigate this further. I bring beer back from the states on day trips every few weeks. When I have a large enough quantity that they choose to charge me, it usually works out to about 35% with duty and taxes. Also, if you were not aware you are only allowed 8.5 liters per person on a day trip. Good luck!

I also agree with Fiddlehead. Great and very reasonably priced.

6. Thanks for the heads up; the CBSA website is clear as mud on alcohol rules. I thought 8.5 L was just a max exemption for 48-hr trips, not a hard limit for same-days.

7. Thank you guys very much for your help. Had some delicious Fiddlehead IPA on tap and picked up a six of awesome Limbo at the BW (it was lunchtime on a Thursday so everyone was pillaging Heady). They were out of Lawson's and HF but I'll be sure to return on delivery days!