1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vertical tasting order

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by scootny, Feb 2, 2013.

1. scootny

scootny Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2007

So I have several verticals of different kinds and I am looking to have a vertical tasting party. I have always believed that you start with the oldest and work to the youngest. Anyone with a reason to work the other way? Thanks.

2. Idris

Idris Disciple (70) Washington Jan 24, 2013

I usually do the opposite. I drink the youngest to establish a baseline, and see which flavors intensify, degrade, or evolve with age.

jglowe77, BostonHops and scootny like this.
  3. scootny

scootny Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2007

What do you think in the case of Stone, with a different formulation each year?

4. Idris

Idris Disciple (70) Washington Jan 24, 2013

In a situation like the Stone Vertical Epic series, where the beer is a different recipe each year, I don't know that order matters. Drink it in any order you deem fit. I usually follow the youngest to oldest order only in beers that (as far as I know) do not have recipe changes.

5. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Different recipes are called horizontals 'round here.

6. Have a few coming up and would generally think youngest-oldest is best so you can actually see what happens to the beer (assuming it's the same brew each yr)

7. I like to taste the newest as a base, then work from the oldest to newest.

8. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Then why is the stone called vertical epic?

I think you made a mistake there.

9. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I think they made a mistake here.

CypherEnigma, gpawned and Ish1 like this.
  10. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I went to a vertical of Abyss recently at a bar (it was awesome, heard from a buddy who knew the bar's manager as it wasn't an advertised thing so no body was there). They had Abyss '10, '11, '12 and I went youngest to oldest. However with Abyss this made '10 that much better which still drinks the same it did young just a little less hot, '11 IMO by far the worst it was like black licorice and '12 although much better and along the lines of '10 was much hotter. I guess around '11 according to the rep who was there too they had a brewer change so they were tweaking the recipe, sorta like their XXII which was never released (but awesome if you can try it)

11. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

How about, "both made a mistake here."

Vertical: Different years of the same beer from the same brewery looking for the effects of different years/ages.

Horizontal: Beers from the same year but different breweries to help emphaize/recognize the effects of different brewers/breweries on the same style.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  12. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I think I'm gonna coin a new term here and call this a Diagonal tasting. Different years of different recipies of beers.

tewaris and LSMroz like this.
  13. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

I thought a horizontal was variants of a particular brew from a single brewery. For example, the GI BCBS series (Rare, Cherry, Coffee, Bramble)

14. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

That's what I have always called a horizontal. Just variations on the same beer.

15. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Yes, it can be that as well.

16. We did a vertical of Darkness 2007-2011 about two Christmas' ago and we had glass ware for each year so we went at our own pace and tried in any order we wanted to and compare years if wanted to. It worked out pretty well IMO!!