1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victorville and the High Desert

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MBoydL, Apr 26, 2013.

1. MBoydL

MBoydL Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2010

I'm heading to Victorville (from Columbus, OH) for a work trip all next week. Obviously, everyone I know wants me to try to bring back some Pliny, Firestone Walker, Drake and all the other west coast "usual suspects". I've gone through the "Places" resource here on the site and it doesn't seem there are a lot of options out there. Does anyone know of some spots in that area where I'm sure to find the good stuff?

Thanks for any help folks can provide.

2. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

If you're flying into Ontario then there are places near the airport, but as far as I know Victorville is a desert for craft beer.

3. Go to Kern Brewing Company, in my top 3 favorite breweries in CA (1.Russian River, 2. Alpine, 3. Kern). I've never been there, as its in the boondocks, but I hear they have a good brewpub... Victorville may be the closest city to it and it's still a 2 hour drive... You are probably out of luck for good craft beer stores, but Ontario should have them (sorry don't know) and Bakersfield has a place called Imbibe that has tons...

dcgunman and usofar like this.
  4. Go to Pappy & Harriet's in Yucca Valley. Regardless of what beers they're pouring, you'll have a great time.

Black_Rider likes this.
  5. MBoydL

Thank you all. I think there is a Bevmo in Rancho Cucamunga on my way from Ontario Airport to Victorville. Going to give that a try. Will be working 10-12 hour days so trips to brewpubs isn't likely.

6. There is also a Total Wine in Rancho(almost right across route 66 from Bevmo) that is worth hitting up(but don't expect to find Pliny at either). Red Carpet is a small store but usually has better offerings then the big guys. La bodega isn't too far out of the way from Ontario and have a great selection albeit at higher prices. At least once while your here you must make a stop at El Cerrito Liquors. Skip Imbibe and Lone Hill both were highly dissappointing. If you can't make it to Kern River brewery but would really like to try their stuff I could IP you some(as you likely won't see it in any store).

7. danscott

danscott Savant (335) California Jul 15, 2006

El Cerrito in Corona.

There really isn't any other correct answer to this question. Sure, there are a few places that are closer, but it is stupid to consider anywhere but here. Troof.

http://knswine.com/

8. MBoydL

Again, thanks to all. I've had Pliny before, so no real big dissapointment if I don't get it again. To be honest, as long as I get a bottle of Wookie Jack for myself and a descent assortment of stuff we cannot get in Ohio for some friends....I will consider it a successful trip.

9. The one in Riverside or the one in San Bernardino?

10. Didn't know there was a La Bodega in San Bernardino.......:confused:

11. Yea, I saw it driving through SB so I asked a worker at the Riverside store. Apparently they were a chain back in the 70s that got sold off one by one. The 2 stores are the only ones left (they are independent from each other) and he said the SB location is horrible and not craft focused at all.

12. I agree El Cerrito is the best in the IE, but its an hour in the opposite direction of where he is going. If he's going to take a 2 hour side trip he should go to Kern... He'll be kicking himself 2 years from now for not going...

13. Interesting information. I really like La Bodega but some things are priced 2-3 bucks higher then surrounding stores. It doesn't keep me from regularly buying things from them. I like to stop there when I head to the More Beer store for my homebrew needs.
    I disagree. Kern brewery is almost 3 hours(one way) from victorville. 2 and a half hours if you don't get stuck behind slow truckers on 395. I'm in Wrightwood(close to Victorville) and have been going to El Cerrito every other weekend for a couple months now. Traveling I-15 all the way it only takes me 40 min(one way) to get to El Cerrito.

14. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

It's funny you say that Kern is your top three and you've never been there. My top three in order is Alpine, Kern and Russian River. And I've been to all three at least three times each. Kern is a 4 hour drive and I've been there 6 times in the last 3 years. Alpine is a two hour drive and I drive south from HB at least 4 times a year. I was there yesterday picking up bottles and growlers of O'Briens IPA. Russian River I'll fly to no problem. Make it a point to drive to boondocks. It's worth it if it's one of your favorites.

15. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (295) California Nov 22, 2011

Thought I'd ask a question in here rather than starting a new thread. Have to work in Hesperia (aka god's country) in a few weeks, will probably need to stay a couple of nights in the area. Willing to drive 30-45 minutes away for lodging/food/beer options. What is my best bet? Redlands?

16. TraumaRN

TraumaRN Aspirant (45) California Mar 5, 2014

Here are my suggestions, I don't go past rancho but still.
    -Slaters 50/50, good burgers plus good tap list
    -Back Abbey, AMAZING burgers plus great Belgian (klokke roeland) tap list
    the closest bottle shops would be
    -Total Wine (Rancho Cucamonga)
    -Party House Liquor (Chino Hills)
    -Bevmo (chino hills)

... el cerrito and la bodega are great but even farther out of the way. All the others are probably 20 minutes away (at most) from ONT.

17. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (375) California Mar 26, 2013

Great place. celebrated my 40th there

18. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (295) California Nov 22, 2011

I guess the down side to posting a question in an existing thread rather than starting a new one is that people don't take into account the dates of the original posting. Oh well...

19. Pzellot

Pzellot Aficionado (160) California Nov 17, 2012

There is not much going on in Victorville for craft beer, but its been a few years since I have been there. Try going to Oggies Pizza if you are going out for dinner. They have some house beers that are decent considering the area.