1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory at Sea

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by darkandhoppy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. I had a couple of pours of this last night at the Abbey in Worcester. Absolutely blew me away. My most recent O Face beer. My favorite coffee laced beer to date.....by far....though that might only be due to Hill Farmstead's Twilight of the Idols getting kicked 5 min before I got there. Either way, V@S is simply delicious, sublime, I loved it

dianimal, ABinaco and fujindemon74 like this.
  2. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (425) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

I had Victory at Sea for the first time a few weeks ago. It was one of the best beers I had all year. I'm putting another one in my cellar to see what a year does to it.

winbassett and Pecan like this.
  3. Not a fan..it's just a bit too much. I like a lot of Ballast Point stuff but this one doesn't do it for me. Maybe one to split of a bomber of with a friend to re-visit..it has been a couple years..

4. An amazing beer indeed. Better fresh IMHO. The coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate flavors seem much more vibrant.

TheJollyHop likes this.
  5. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Just had my first a week or so ago. A lot of beers claim to have certain flavors, Victory at Sea delivers those flavors and then some, with a perfect mouthfeel to boot. Nice to see a great beer than I do not have to camp out for.

ripps1 likes this.
  6. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (425) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Big fan of this beer. Have been for a long time. I like it both fresh and with some age. Actually drank a two year old one a while back. Held up fairly well. Always grab some when I see it. Try to keep a bottle at all times in the cellar, but unfortunatly none in there now.

7. Had it on draft several times and absolutely loved it. Just recently bought a few bombers and I actually think its better from the bottle. Amazing vanilla and roasted coffee notes. Truly one of my favorite beers of 2012. I definitely plan on sitting on a bottle to see what a year will do. Can't imagine too much because it's already close to perfect!

Well done Ballast Point.

djaeon likes this.
  8. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I did a side by side recently with '12 & '10. Aging softened the coffee bitterness which allowed the vanilla to shine thru a little more. Aging was favorable IMO. I have one more '10 that I will let go another year or two. And a bunch of 12 to drink now and cellar. Cheers

9. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

Had my first bottle last night and I agree 100%. It was fantastic and if I see anymore this year I will definitely pick some more up.

10. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I have a bottle of this beer in the fridge and the Whole Foods near me has a bunch more...

I guess I should try it soon and buy some more (if I like it) now that the hype train has been started!

11. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

I've had the fortune to have this many times and after having had a few dozen of these I still love it and seek it out. A fantastic beer.

12. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Couldnt agree more. Ballast Point just made it to Maryland and this is one I've been waiting for for sometime. Boy did it not disappoint. Drank the first one by myself and have since shared 4 more with friends who were all in agreement to its quality. Time to head back to the store and grab a few more.

dianimal likes this.
  13. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

It is indeed a great beer. I end up picking up at least two bottles when it comes out.

14. Definitely a great beer. Had to brush my teeth after I drank it

beerFool28607 likes this.
  15. wasnt trying to start a fanboy hype train.....just advocating, heartily. It's a really fine beer. I enjoyed it a lot. You don't have to like it if you dont want to :)

16. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (425) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Drink it and see. I thought the beer was fantastic. I may grab another bottle tomorrow.

17. Just picked up and drank a 2011 vintage of the stuff. It was their last one so they sold it to me for 6 bucks. Major score and drank amazing. Love the coffee aspect of it.

18. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Had this beer this year and it was one of my beers of the year

19. Great thread. Drinking one now as I type. One of the best mouthfeels in any beer. Drinks more like a stout than a porter. The vanilla in this year's version is a bit stronger than I ever recall having experienced in prior vintages, but it's not offputting at all. Damn fine brew.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  20. Just got some in at my store. I'm gonna buy some for me and my lady this week.

21. Opening a fresh bottle tonight. I love this beer and like others said it is still great with some age but I think I prefer it fresh.

22. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

No, you're supposed to say the vanilla in this year's version seems artificial tasting.

DevilsCups and fox227 like this.
  23. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I was lucky enough to have it on cask and nitro the same night at a local (great) pub. I also have a bottle that I'm going to be opening soon. Yeah, it's nice to have a stout/porter imperial that actually has a flavor profile that really stands out from the crowd and wows.

24. I am going to crack an 09 for new years eve. will let you know how it goes. cheers.

Siggy125 likes this.
  25. Actually...that's the truth.

26. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

One of my favorite beers! It has everything I love in a beer. Have had a 10' 11' and 12' and all were amazing, but nothing like having it fresh where all the coffee and vanilla flavors are present!

27. Great beer.

28. Pecan

Pecan Savant (435) California Dec 20, 2012

I am always a little heartbroken when this beer isn't on the shelf. I add an extra bottle of V@S to pretty much every beer purchase I make if given the opportunity. Heads up, if you're close to San Diego, BP still has variants on tap as of last night and still has a few of the V@S snifters!

29. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I had the same beer at the same restaurant last night (the 29th). It was excellent. I was wicked disappointed that Twilight was gone though :/

30. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

This is supposed to be coming to Texas soon... can't wait to try it!

31. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

Really good stuff. One of my many favorite beers;)

32. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

I brushed my teeth with it it was so good.

huysmans and JxExM like this.
  33. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

seems like there's an awful lot of it out there this year. I grabbed a couple of cases of it the day it was released thinking it would dry up quickly like previous years. doh...

Pecan likes this.
  34. Pecan

Pecan Savant (435) California Dec 20, 2012

At least you ended up with a few good cases of beer! Aging improved it a little imo too, so there's always that.

35. AndresR

AndresR Savant (255) California Jul 19, 2009

36. I like this beer so much that I bought a Keg of it. Currently flowing in the bar. Cheers

Pecan, Momar42, AndresR and 2 others like this.
  37. :D

38. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Yeah some amazing and OMG type stuff there. Ghost pepper... umm...

39. A top notch beer worth the hype and more...It disgusts me that I can't get it easily here in PA...