1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Victory at Sea

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by darkandhoppy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Damn, another reason I wish I lived closer to California. Not in mind you, just closer.

2. I travelled across state lines to get it myself. wasnt looking for it but boy was it a pleasant surprise. We get some BP beer here in CT. I'll be on the lookout for V@S here in the coming week

3. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I'll be drinking my first bottle of it tomorrow night. This is the first year that Ballast Point has been in Ohio, and Victory at Sea is the beer from them that I was wanting to try more than any other.

4. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (460) California Dec 21, 2011

One of my all time favorites. I did notice the coffee being much stronger in this years version though. The vanilla didn't shine through as much as previous years. Still a very good beer, but not quite what it once was.

5. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

If anyone has any of the Victory @ Sea variations or the glassware in the previous link let me know. Would love to work out a trade. Got plenty to offer.

6. I've had two bottles of this in the last month - I really wanted to love it because of the great hype its getting and I love the idea of the coffee and vanilla...just doesn't do it for me. Maybe third time is the charm.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  7. One of my favorite porters, flavored or unflavored.

8. Fantastic beer, one of my favorites. I try to keep a bottle or two around, got on in the fridge right now. It's a good replacement for any dissapointing beer that ends up in the sink

9. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (440) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

I hate to rain on this parade, but I have to...

So I've been sitting on a few V@S that I picked up a few weeks ago. Saw this thread a decided to crack one open. Now I've had V@S on a few occasions, and I love it, one of my most highly rated beers, awesome stuff. But this bottle I just crack open is without a doubt off.

The aroma is somewhat muted, with straight black coffee bean roast (not in a pleasant way), and tabacco being the only present aromas. It's sweet upfront but without any of the wonderful vanilla/toffee/caramel flavores, just a muted sweetness. Then comes an overly bitter/astringent black coffee roast and finishes with a terrible lingering tabacco taste. Like I just drank an old cold black coffee and smoked a cigarette. It's pretty much undrinkable. Even tried some out of a different glass, same story.

Anybody else have a similar experience with a batch from this year? It's a BB 11/06/13. I'm just extremely disappointed right now, debating opening another bottle to see if its the same, almost afraid to though.

10. nachos

nachos Aficionado (240) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

I had one last night with a best before date 11.26.13 and it was absolutely delicious, just like its been in previous years.

11. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (440) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Going through the exactt opposite right now, had to drain pour the rest of mine. I feel violated, and want to cry.

12. You're making me sad! Last one i had also had a bb date for 2013, and it was great. Are you loyal to the shop where you bought it? I got an infected bottle of taddy one time and my liqour store gave me another one to replace it, but I'm in there a few times a week.

13. Had a cask of Double Coffee Victory at Sea at Ballast Point last Friday. My god was that good.

14. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Did they serve it to you in......a GRAIL?

darkandhoppy likes this.
  15. Gotta love when your allocated 1 keg only for the bar but when it shows up they drop off 2 by mistake.
    A big THANK YOU to all the people that work in the warehouse and stock the trucks at my local distributor. Your inability to count or read paper work correctly has made my day:D

16. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

i have a case left at work. its stash worthy lol. i love sharing this one with my stout customers, but its good enough to pour for any beer lover.