1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory Brewing up 38% in 2011

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by travduke, Feb 27, 2012.

1. From the Victory blog:
    Full article on their blog: http://victorybeer.com/blog/
  2. aorloski

aorloski Savant (370) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

good for them! upset about no old ho' this year though :(
  3. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Good for Victory! I wish they would resume distribution to Arizona
  4. I'm very happy my favorite brewery is doing so well, but I am disappointed that the recent success has resulted in an increase in price for the local consumers.
  5. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (260) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

Dont think VBC ever had distribution in AZ, but I know its on the "add in the future when possible list".
  6. Yea they are definitely growing. It's just too bad that it's with Headwaters. I'm definitely not a fan of that beer. Yakima Glory and Dark Intrigue should have taken its place!
  7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

They did and for whatever reason they stopped. This was around... early to mid 2000's. I'm certain I was getting Victory beers at AJ's back then (this was pre-BevMo and pre-Total Wine days).

We used to receive Allagash too.
  8. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

They were pulling out of markets before it was cool to. They're the hipsters of the brewing world.
  9. Victory is getting expensive locally for sure. Don't understand all the love for Headwaters. I can get SNPA cheaper and it is a much better Pale Ale. Locally, I would even take Yard's Pale Ale over Headwaters, or give me some Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale.
  10. Well deserved! Goes to show that releasing a well-made, balanced Pale Ale like Headwaters (IMO, the best new beer of '11), you can be successful in the modern day craft market without releasing some rare, barrel aged nonsense.
    konabrewer and Longstaff like this.
  11. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

Personally, and not that you should care, but I think Headwaters, along with many other craft pale ales, are better than SNPA. With that said, I'm stunned by Victory reports that HWs is growing their business. I'd rather seem some of their other beers be made more available in the NY area - such as Whirlwind Wit, St Victorious, Sunrise Weiss and Helios.

I love Victory, but they're definitely not a brand that keeps its customers on their toes. Their updates range from childish contests to uber-local activities.
  12. jimmydump

jimmydump Aspirant (30) Maryland Feb 1, 2012

I love Victory but agree, their marketing is horrible and their lack of experimental beers in the brewpub are their biggest weaknesses.
  13. Star80

Star80 Savant (290) Illinois Apr 14, 2005

Hooray for Victory! Well deserved, they make excellent beer. Yakima Glory, Moonglow, you name it, they do it well. definitely among my top three brewers.
  14. Glad to see Headwaters becoming so popular. One of the few recent examples of a brewery updating its flagships that appeal to all (newbies and those with ample craft beer experience) that appreciate a well made, unique, drinkable beer.
    konabrewer likes this.
  15. JoolyGoodFellow

they dumped St. Boisterous, St. Victorious and Old Horizontal to pave way for Headwaters. Seems like an epic failure from a consumer perspective. Drop three unique styles for one American Pale Ale. Lame.
  16. Uh, what? Single hop versions of Braumeister Pils, the insane Eclat Lager, Ranch R IPA....and that was just on my last visit last month. Victory's brewpub always has a ton of draft only stuff going on.
    aorloski likes this.
  17. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Good for them. Glad to see a quality craft brewery succeeding.
  18. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

Yeah, 20+ taps on at any given time, just recently FIVE tettnager-only pilsners on tap with slightly different hop characteristics, none of those will ever be made again, at this point it's getting hard to keep up with all the random things they're putting out. Not original/experimental at all!

Maybe if you're only into massive high abv barrel aged stouts, Victory isn't your thing. Thankfully, that's only a tiny side of the craft beer world, and Victory is by a huge margin the best brewery in SEPA and they constantly keep thing interesting and changing.
  19. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

Isn't St. Victorious on tap now? I didn't know they actually "dumped" any of these. But I agree, I wish Old Horizontal was back on there.
  20. Yup it is on tap with all the beers you mentioned along with ECLAT COCOA LAGER, ALLA SPINA NOVELLO ALE and about 3 or four others that I have not tried and I live 20 mins from the brewery. They almost have more experimental beers than regular on tap.
  21. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (260) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

Exactly, I just polished off a sixtel of St Victorious, and am now onto the St Boisterous. The Dark Lager at 3.9% is out of this world sessionable and now I get to ping pong between St Boy and Ranch R IPA - IPA at 9% ABV! But the Alla Spina Novello is a real eye opener with Belgian yeast, 15% unmalted adjuncts and weighs in at 7% ABV. But my favorite was the ability to have all 5 Tettnanger Pils in tasters. Where you gonna find variety like this?
  22. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Good for Victory.I'm a fan of Headwaters,def. one of my go to session brews when I am in the mood.I read a while back that headwaters was a big part of their sales.Hearing the news of them putting certain releases on hiatus is a no brainer if headwaters is pretty much paying the bills.

Cheers All.......
  23. They didn't dump the Saint's. They're just not bottling them right now. As its been mentioned, they are available at the pub. And, for those doubting Victory's experimental line up, beyond the 7 or 8 new beers already listed here - which are all currently on tap - there is Helles Fire, a tasty smoked Helles Lager. Earth shattering innovation? Probably not to the extreme beer geek. But quite experimental if you ask me.
  24. JoolyGoodFellow

Unless you live near the pub, it's an effective dump. I'm not doubting their experimentation, I'm just deeply bothered to see 3 seasonals removed from bottling over the course of just a few months - just so they can pave way for an American Pale Ale.
  25. I hear what you're saying. It's unfortunate that any concessions needed to be made at all. But it's also great that Headwaters is a resounding success - and filled the previous "flagship" void nicely. Do you think that Headwaters is superior or inferior to the Saints?

I would have rather seen them drop Mad King's Weiss (which isn't terrrrribly different than Sunrise Weissbier) and Uncle Teddy's Bitter. But since they needed to free up capacity, it makes sense that they cut back on Old Horizontal and two high gravity lagers.

If you're ever in need of a growler fill, I'd be happy to help out.
  26. MP72

MP72 Aficionado (240) Pennsylvania Sep 25, 2006

I have to agree here .
    I love Victory but have to admit to patiently waiting for them to add some new beer styles for purchase outside of the pub and now we are losing some of the old timers for another pale ale. This is a dissappointment.
    I would love to see them do a quality Dunkel or even a Czech pils for general bottling for a while.
  27. Awesome news. To those who think Headwaters is selling out, I'd say the opposite. Based on current trends, I'd argue this is "experimental" in some ways. If it was another 7% IPA, or another IPA disguised as a "pale ale" overloaded with hops at 6.5% abv, I'd agree. But it's a well-balanced, 5.1%, sessionable pale ale. It's unique enough to have become a regular purchase, and may be my favorite new release in the last year.
    Longstaff likes this.
  28. JoolyGoodFellow

I look forward to St Boisterous each year and think it is a fantastic lager...same for Victorious, only that One is harder to locate in my neck of the woods. I like HW a good deal, but releasing one after 15 years in the business is hardly exciting. I also find that Citra brews degrade sharply. Bottom line, I'm pissed off.
  29. Erix

Erix Savant (375) Vermont Jun 4, 2001

For everyone who is complaining about the fact that they dropped some seasonals, it looks like they'll be making a comeback in the near future, once Victory opens its second location. Apparently the new location will be where they make most of the standard beers, while the old location will become a more experimental pub. (This was also posted in the MidAtlantic forum, but I figured it belonged here too)

http://victorybeer.com/blog/more-victory-to-love/
  30. Probably not exciting to your average craft beer geek, but so refreshing to your average craft beer drinker...
  31. JoolyGoodFellow

Perhaps, and I can obviously see that it's a moneymaker, but I respected Victory and PA brewers for giving some good efforts in the lager arena. Good lagers are criminally underappreciated, IMO.
  32. They already do very well with lagers though (Victory Lager, Prima....etc), and while I wouldn't mind another, they didn't have a pale ale in their regular line up
  33. Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others...and twirling, twirling towards freedom!!! Something for everybody, baby- great news indeed. Best wishes and continued success for the folks at Victory.

I'm digging the Headwaters, kind of a go-to PA now, but I'd also love to see the Saints up here next spring. Only, how about some 12 oz. bottles while they're at it...
  34. JoolyGoodFellow

No "etc", and their regular lager gets a very limited distribution (few get it outside of PA). Bocks are few and far between, and the Saints were awesome.

That said, I still love Victory, and will continue to support them on a weekly to monthly basis.
  35. Man, you're a tough crowd. Sounds like you need a small vacation where you can visit Victory for a couple days straight and order any one of the 14 lagers they have on right now...
  36. JoolyGoodFellow

37. You don't get their Festbier or Moonglow Weizenbock? They do brew a TON of lagers though, as FeDUBBELFIST points out, but I suppose if you don't receive them, it's a moot point.
  38. Festbier does get bottled - I think seasonally - but it's on tap at the brewpub all year long. Moonglow is an ale...
  39. I was running with the "bock" theme even though that's not what he meant.
  40. BarryMFBurton

BarryMFBurton Savant (435) Indiana Mar 28, 2011

Great news! These guys deserve it - one of my favorite breweries, for sure.