1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory Dirt Wolf - Why 4-packs??

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LCB_Hostage, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Anyone have any ideas why Victory chose to package this in 4s instead of 6s. The four-packs seem to be going for about $7.99 around here. Now, I know that Victory seems to really like that <$8 price point, but if they sold in sixes at the same per bottle cost, you're looking at $12 for, which I don't think is likely to scare people away from a premium DIPA. I guess what makes this all the more confusing is they used to sell Hop Wallop in sixes for around $10.99.

In the greater scheme of things, it doesn't make that much difference. But personally I'd prefer to be able to pick this up in sixers.
  2. Just a more friendly price point.. there are more and more breweries moving to 4pks, people are much more ready to pay $8/4pk than $12/6pk.
  3. Although $13 for a 6 pack of DIPA is a good price especially considering the price of most bombers, I think there would be enough people wondering why it is $2-$3 more than Hop Wallop and be a little turned off.
  4. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (370) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

The 4pk format seems to work pretty well for other breweries' special releases- Founders comes to mind, Harvest Ale, Breakfast Stout, Dirty/Backwoods Bastard, etc., all great beers that sell well.
  5. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I love the fourpack. Have you ever felt that a sixer was two beers too many?
  6. I like the idea of some brewers using the four pack format to offer a more friendly price point.
    I don't like how some brewers use the 4pk format but keep the 6pk pricing :rolleyes:
    azorie, schoolboy, CJS262 and 14 others like this.
  7. it's 9.50-9.99 here in NE CT.

as to why in 4-packs? single serving size works for me
  8. All I know is I get 12 beers for $24 either way, and they all get put into a brown paper bag with cardboard at the bottom!
    Everybody happy, happy, happy....
    DelMontiac, HRamz3 and mychalg9 like this.
  9. No. Never. There's no rule says you have to drink them all at once.

In my neck of the woods Wallop was usually $13 and DW at $10/4 means a $15 six. Which is not a killer price rise, but it's also an expensive six which makes DW a once in a while expensive treat.
    azorie, VDODSON, VonZipper and 3 others like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Some of those have been found to be pricing increases or pricing errors at the store rather than increases from the brewery.
  11. I just got back from food shopping at my locals Wegmans. They are charging 10 bucks for a 4-pack of Dirt Wolf. That would ‘translate’ to s 6-pack price of 15 bucks. Those prices are too high for my tastes.

Cheers!
    azorie, chuckstout and Horbar like this.
  12. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Well, I'd guess that you would be happy to pay the same cost per bottle for 6 because you know you enjoy the beer, and it means less trips to get more. People that haven't tried it yet don't know they will like it, and will be more likely to try it because it's less money-down-the-drain if they don't enjoy it.
    Why is it really an issue, either? Unless there is a limit, you could grab two 4-packs and have even more beer than a 6 pack.
  13. For DirtWolf, I'll personally pay the $9.99 price. I've seen them cheaper in the SEPA area but this beer is just really good and available. I may be buying a case soon.
  14. “I may be buying a case soon.” That is the correct answer right there. Ten bucks a 4-pack translates to 60 bucks. You can buy a case of DirtWolf at a beer distributor for much less than 60 bucks.

Cheers!
    cjoc83 and ShanePB like this.
  15. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I can give two good reasons why its a 4pk besides price.

1. if you don't like it, you're not on the hook for 5 other beers
    2. IPAs aren't meant to sit, theyre meant to be enjoyed immediately. Some people don't drink beer every day and it'd be a shame if this beer sat around for a while before being consumed.
  16. atomic

Thats still cheaper than $5 a bomber though. I'm sure you gladly would pay $7 for a bomber of Stone Ruination or some such beer. Thats a whole heck of a lot more expensive than a $10 4pk
  17. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (620) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Probably because all of us clowns ticking round these parts would prefer not to have an additional 2 beers we already tried, and I think breweries might know this. Add in the ABV issue and it is much easier to pull the trigger on the 4 I can drink at my buddy's house on Sunday vs. the 6 when iI'll have to leave a couple there.
    WolfsbaneBloom likes this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Just be glad that they aren't in 2-packs (yet):
    [​IMG]
  19. “I'm sure you gladly would pay $7 for a bomber of Stone Ruination or some such beer.” Nope, I refuse to buy beers in bomber formats. The price per ounce is a rip-off.

Cheers!
  20. atomic

I can't disagree that its a ripoff, but you're definitely missing some awesome beers. I'm sure you're okay with it if thats your MO though. Still $2.50 is really not a lot to pay for an awesome world class beer.
    jahbulon and Theniz like this.
  21. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

What about when the price-per-ounce is equal to the cost of the 4/6 pack's cost? :p I find it especially silly if you never enjoy great tap/cask options which are relatively much more expensive. I agree that you are missing out on some great beer by refusing to consider bombers.
    As for paying $7 for ruination, I would not :p $5, yes, but I can get many other beers I enjoy more for $7. That's top notch stuff. Dreadnaught, gladly. But then again, maybe not, because I'm still sour about their pulling out of the SW IL market a few years ago :mad: (Who am I kidding, of course I would!)
    OBinPB likes this.
  22. Yup a case is ~48$.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. “I find it especially silly if you never enjoy great tap/cask options which are relatively much more expensive.” I have absolutely no problem paying for beers at beer bars. The beer bar has overhead and going out to drink a beer is entertainment for me.

As regards packaged beer that I drink at home I refuse to support the bomber business. I wish that others would refuse to purchase beers in the bomber format as well to send a message to the breweries to stop ripping off beer consumers. If you are willing to be rip-offed that is indeed your personal choice but I would ask you to also not do so. If we stick together as consumers we can make a difference.

Cheers!
  24. I avoid buying cases of IPAs (and even more so DIPAs) because with all the other beers I already have, I know I'm unlikely to get through 24 of anything while they're still fresh.

As for my original 4 vs 6 question, I'm not saying the 4-pack is a huge inconvenience for me, I'm just curious why they opted for that format given, at least where I shop, the very reasonable bottle price of $2/each. As far as I know, this is the only beer Victory packages in 4s, including other high ABV products like Storm King. I was curious whether anyone had any insight into whether this was a direction that Victory was headed in for other beers as well. If so, it would indicate that they might be looking to bump prices on a number of their beers. And, as much as I love Victory products, part of what I love is their very reasonable pricing.

And for what it's worth, I get the whole " I don't want too many of a beer I haven't tried yet" argument, but isn't that what bottle shops are for? ;) By that argument, every new beer should be release in packages of no more than 2 to make sure no one ends up buying beer they aren't going to love.
  25. Storm King just moved to 4 packs to, probably something their doing for all their high abv beers.
  26. exactly... brewers cant control the price at purchase
  27. “brewers cant control the price at purchase” Bu their packaging decisions can influence retail pricing. For the example of my local Wegmans, I am pretty sure that they would not price a 6-pack Dirt Wolf at $15.00 but they have no problem with pricing a 4-pack at $10.00. I would have preferred that Victory packaged Dirt Wolf in 6-packs to mitigate retail price abuse.

As to what motivated Victory to package Dirt Wolf (and Storm King) in 4-packs I really have no idea but the fact that a retailer like Wegmans is taking advantage of it to price these items higher (for higher profit) is unappealing to me.

Cheers!
    Horbar and Scrapss like this.
  28. Prices are set by the distributers - against the price of a case from the brewery. Every single time a store gets an order in, they get the invoice that invoice has the suggested retail (normally state min) as well as cost and per/pk cost.
  29. “Prices are set by the distributers…” Are you saying that Wholesale Distributers dictate to the retailer what they need to price the product at?

Cheers!
  30. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Their packaging decisions can influence the retail pricing???

Show me the data that demonstrates it's the packaging size of 4 vs 6.
  31. Tom, I can’t prove a thing. It seems to me that there is a price point that most consumers are willing to pay for a 4/6-pack. Something in the neighborhood of 10 bucks (a few dollars more and certainly less). Needless to say there are some exceptions but most of the 4/6 packs are priced in that range (in the shops that I go to). As I mentioned previously I very much doubt that Wegmans would price a 6-pack at $15. If Dirt Wolf was in the 6-pack package it would likely be priced around $12-13. I personally would prefer to pay $13 for a 6-pack. I personally refuse to pay $10 for a 4-pack of Dirt Wolf at Wegmans but I sure that some other beer drinkers are paying this amount since the total price of $10 is comfortable to them; they are not considering the price from a price per ounce perspective. I have an unkind term for these shoppers: stupid shoppers.

Cheers!
    Horbar, Crusader and keithmurray like this.
  32. No no, what I mean to say is that a brewery wants X amount per case from the distributor. In turn the cost price is set for a store (like mine) based off how much the brewery wants per case or the contracted price. The 4pk/6pk who knows about that part.

Side note: We have a local brewer BlackBox, the guy makes an amazing beer. He's got 10 brews, but only 4 in bottles. The rest are kegged. His problem is that hes so small, and he went to a distributor to sell the brews. But he went to a dist. that has 20 sales reps hitting 25 stores a day. This guy drops off 100 cases of x brew and that's it for awhile. Because he's so small he doesn't have the room to even brew two different batches of loveliness. So he's either brewing for kegs or brewing for bottles, but never both at the same time. You can get a pint of his Pumpkin (which I've heard beats S.T) for like 5 a glass, but the distributor charges me, at cost $38 a case. Which means to make a profit my suggested retail is 11.99

I can only speak for Ohio, but we like to keep everything at state min. which is suggested retail. I also find the way breweries distribute rare/limited released wack!
  33. theandychrist

theandychrist Savant (395) Maryland Apr 21, 2013

My local is charging $11.99 for a six pack of storm king and $11.99 for a 4 pack of Dirt Wolf. The shelf label says 6 pack but is crossed out and 4 pack is hand written. All of my 'wuttttttttt?'
    Horbar and Scrapss like this.
  34. 12 bucks for a six-pack of those beers would be a reasonable price. 12 bucks for a four-pack is highway robbery. Unfortunately, I am sure that some people are paying those inflated price.:(

Cheers!
    Scrapss likes this.
  35. $10.50 for the four pack in my area. When it comes to pricing I look at all beers on an individual serving basis then compare to other products that are giving me a similar experience. 12oz bottle = one serving, bombers and 750's = two servings.~$2.60 for a single serving of fresh DIPA is ok with me when good IPA's from a six pack are usually in the $2 range.
  36. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Mo money.
    Mo money.
    Mo money.
    jzeilinger, chuckstout and Horbar like this.
  37. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I bought a case of Dirtwolf for $43.99. This translates to a 6-pack price of $11.

The price must be right - they can't make enough Dirt Wolf to even stock it at the brewery, even though it is a year-round full-availability release. The guy was very apologetic about it, but he said demand has been such that whatever they make is immediately spoken for.
  38. “ …they can't make enough Dirt Wolf to even stock it at the brewery” There are tons of Dirt Wolf at my local Wegmans (it has been in continuous supply for the last 3 weeks or so). You just have to be willing to pay $10 for a 4-pack.

Cheers!
  39. I think DIPA's in 4 packs and IPA's in 6 packs make perfect sense from a price point of view and that is what the majority of good breweries (other than Lagunitas) do with their IPA's and DIPA's.
    Let's not compare it to Hop Wallop, they are 2 totally different beers.
    And let's not piss Victory off or they will put Dirtwolf in Bombers and then we will all be unhappy.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    MichPaul likes this.
  40. Only thing I could think of is the entered it as 6 packs and had the pricing as such and then just didn't bother going back to change it? Or are they consistantly $4+ overpriced?