1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory Helios Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LeRose, Feb 12, 2013.

1. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

The thread about Swing made me remember this...and I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

Is Helios usually a bargain price? I have seen it in a couple of stores for $3.99 to $4.99 for a twenty two. Didn't pick it up because I figured it was marked down for quick sale. Seeing the positive comments in the other thread, maybe should fill up the truck?

2. Typically $3-$4. $5 is kind of high. It's meant to be a cheap bomber - like Harpoon IPA, or Sam Adams Boston Lager.

3. 3.29 here.

4. $3.50 around our way and I think it's definitely worth it.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. Its also $3.45 here and a steal at that price if you ask me!

6. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Its a great saison and it really is a steal at $3.49 - $4. I think I've bought a case over the last year.

7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Thanks, folks. Will grab some next time I make the rounds. Like the style, have liked most things from Victory. Just strange o see amid the higher priced bombers.

8. Tremendous value. I love Helios and wouldn't think for a second about picking up my occasional bomber even if it were twice the price.

9. 80% of my homebrew bombers once contained Helios. $2.99 here and the labels come off clean and easy.

10. Just be prepared, this is significantly funkier than your typical Saison, lots of barnyard and hay in this one that was totally unexpected the first time I had it.

11. As someone who lives about 5 minutes from the Victory Brewery I'm ashamed to say I don't think I've EVER bought a bottle of Helios...though now that I think of it the growler in my photo is Helios. Solid beer and I'll often grab one on draft at the brewery but I guess I never really get their bomber bottles when access to it is so easy. I'm surprised it's so cheap.

12. I don't know if I would call it funky. I get mostly peppery yeast and citrus with a crisp finish.

13. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (380) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

One of the best values in all of beerdom, imo. $2.99 + tax is what I pay.

14. Drain pour. And I love their beers. You get what you pay for. Sorry.

RobertColianni likes this.
  15. Do you not like saisons? Obviously not everybody loves every beer, but a drain pour? It's just not an offensive enough beer to justify that kind of label... perhaps you had a bad bottle...

16. You could be right. I love Hennepin. I love the style and I love Victory.

17. Always a steal. Grab it if you see it.

18. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Best bargain for a bomber I've seen.

19. I was underwhelmed by it as well, really noticeable ABV and not enough hops to balance the taste. I also find Prima Pils disgusting as well. That being said I have a "red thunder" bomber I can't wait to try and enjoy a "Hop Wallop" on an occasion.

When I could find "Baltic Thunder" it was a best buy at around 5 bucks a bomber.

20. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

Yep, there is a lot of Brett in the bottle conditioning process. Amped up "Orval" finish.

21. loganwat

loganwat Zealot (90) North Carolina May 28, 2007

It tastes like soap. Love Victory, but not this one.

22. just another datapoint and a question: In Colorado (obviously some shipping cost from PA) this was running $3.99 at places like Argonaut but as of a few weeks ago it's been $4.49.

Still a bargain IMO for a well made saison w/ brett (apples and oranges comparisons, maybe, but Crooked Stave's 375 ml bottles of a brett and wild yeast saison are like 5.99 I believe; Funkwerks 750s are 9.99 to 11.99 generally) but wondering if the price change reflects a change from the brewery, or whether it's the distributor or the retailers who are marking this up more than before?

23. There is no live brett in the Helios bottling process anymore.

24. While no live Bret, it is still a funky yeast strain IMO. Had a fresh bottle a couple weeks ago and was astounded by how funky it was. Great beer.

25. This is the first I've heard of this. I haven't had a bottle in probably a year, though. Do you know when they stopped adding brett? I assume if there is no live brett in the bottle that there is no brett in the brewing process, correct? I know many people have mentioned the draft version does not contain brett, but I've never seen it on draft anywhere.

26. I believe it's "funked" in the tank (whether that's brett or their yeast strain) and then filtered when bottled. They stopped doing the "live" brett in the bottles due to the explosions/recall. This was maybe 2010 or 2011.

victory4me likes this.
  27. Agreed. I was just correcting Starkbier's statement.

28. Interesting - thanks for the info. I do remember the beer being extremely highly carbonated.

29. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

It's a solid saison regardless of price, but yeah it's good.

30. I completely agree and, similarly, I love Victory and appreciate Saisons. They're basically a zesty mead. Sort of a shame. Either way, at the price, Helios is a bargain. Same neutral price everywhere, it seems. I used to work two minutes from the brewery and we sold it for $3.50.

31. ghostly

ghostly Aficionado (145) New York Mar 7, 2011

I'm pretty sure I've seen it for $5.99 in NYC, but our pricing is out of whack.

32. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

Right, its tank conditioned now prior to filtering and then normal bottle conditioning. This is due to capped 22's limits in pressure to about 7g/L.

33. $6.49 in MI.

34. Love some Helios - especially for the price. Rumor has it that Victory may be introducing another saison later this year in 6 packs. Looking forward to that if it comes to fruition...

35. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

That is no rumor, it comes out in 2 weeks. I'm pumped for that