1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory HopDevil Ale Nitro

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dar482, Feb 18, 2013.

1. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

Anyone try this yet? I've had it on tap, but on nitro tap, it is a whole different animal. It's so freaking smooth and has that amazing nitro head like Guinness.

Better question, why don't they do more beers with nitro tap?

2. I love nitro tap

3. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (155) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Fountainhead in Chi. has this and I thought it was like a hopped up marshmallow. Creamiest beer I've ever had. Was interesting in that the normal/expected bitterness that an IPA generally delivers was gone. Take that as you will. I enjoyed it. Great w/the gorganzola burger, too.

4. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

I just had Victory HopDevil for the first time. Does that count?

5. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (155) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Zappa..To me, two very different experiences.

dar482 likes this.
  6. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

Hop Devil has been a Fav of mine for Years..its Fantastic. -- this is the 1st I've heard "Nitro" tap on it though.

7. Also excellent on cask.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  8. I used to enjoy a stout or two on nitro, but less and less recently. However, I can't imagine I'd ever want an IPA on nitro. It dulls down the flavors too much.

9. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

HopDevil was superb IPA on tap, but I don't know, something about the creaminess from nitro tap brought it to a whole different level to me. I'm not saying in general IPAs would be good for it, but HopDevil has a well rounded flavor that sells itself to a bigger body and fluffy carbonation.

10. saw this at Grill Next Door in Haverhill, want to try it.

11. I like "regular" stouts on nitro on occasion, but I think it blunts pale ales way too much.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  12. Personally, I always take non-nitro if I have a choice for some of the reasons noted above.

13. In my humble opinion, hoppy beers should not be served via nitro (or cask). RonfromJersey states: “I think it blunts pale ales way too much.” The descriptor that I use is “dumbs down” as in serving Hop Devil on nitro (or cask) dumbs down the beer. Beers like Pale Ales and IPAs are generously late hopped with flavor and aroma hops. The nitro (or cask) delivery system very much mutes the hop flavor/aroma. What is the point of delivering beers which are characterized by their hop flavor/aroma via a method which dumbs it down?

Last night I had a Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout and that beer was wonderful since that particular beer style benefits from a Nitro delivery.

Cheers!

14. I had it at Cornerstone in NYC. It definitely transformed the beer and made it really smooth and creamy. I don't have a preference for regular or Nitro and enjoy drinking both.

FatBoyGotSwagger and dar482 like this.
  15. I had this on nitro last night...completely transformed the beer IMO, and I'm not sure how I felt about it. The hoppiness was completely murdered (not that HopDevil is overly hoppy as is), but there was still a slight bitterness to it along with a huge creamy body. Not sure if I'd get it again, but it was an interesting experience at the least.

16. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Had it last night too. The hop flavor was gone and creamy texture just didn't work. It had an almost cereal taste to it. I wouldn't order it again for sure. Let's keep nitro for stouts.

17. I had it at the Victory brewpub a few weeks ago and I liked it. It was as I expcected it to be silky smooth and enjoyable. Of course it tasted different than ragular or casked hopdevil but it did in a good way. I recommend trying it on nitro if you see it.

18. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

While it might look pretty and feel silky smooth on the palate, pouring a beer using a high nitro blend tends to dull its aroma/flavor.

dar482 likes this.
  19. You're trading both aroma and flavor for mouthfeel. Some people find that it's worth it, but I wouldn't even pay for a stout off of nitro, let alone an IPA or pale ale. If it wasn't created for nitro, it usually can't stand up to it either.

20. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

But takes the mouthfeel to a different level. I think in this case Victory is having fun with one of their beers and not competing against other IPAs

21. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (360) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

It's awesome...We have two 1/2 barrels right now at my restaurant...delicious!

22. I would love to try this one on cask.

23. I guess the same could be said about beers on hand pump. Using a sparkler or restricter plate will knock the CO2 out of solution reducing the overall CO2 and perceived 'brightness' from a regularly carbonated beer. This brightness enhances hop flavor and aroma. Nitro itself doesn't do anything to the beer, it just pushes it out of the container. It's surprising to hear that the same argument isn't made for beers served on hand pump.

FWIW, the serving technique provides an alternative medium for the brewed beer. Much like seeing a movie on a regular screen and then viewing the same movie in 3D. Some like one over the other, which is perfectly fine. Me? I applaud the ability to consume multiple interpretations.

24. Ive had Mojo IPA on nitro and it was awesome. I love the foamy head you get on nitro and think this is the main reason I drink Guinness and Bodingtons once in a while. It definitely does take away some of the flavor, but I think its worth it for the change of pace. I would like to see a brewer purposely over hop their IPA to make up for the flavor loss and achieve the awesome head. Would also like to see an IPA available in nitro cans. Even if you loose some of the flavor then you would have something close to an awesome pale ale with a really smooth head.