Victory is Becoming My Favorite Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by clegolfski, Dec 21, 2012.

1. clegolfski

clegolfski Savant (315) Ohio Jul 13, 2008

They lock down their regulars and are now experimenting with barrels. All at awesome prices. That's how large craft brewers should throw down.

Bluecane, outsider, mackeyse and 10 others like this.
  2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Victory is pretty damn solid, especially prima pils......but I think Sierra Nevada might have them beat for "that's how large craft brewers should throw down"

3. I've liked everything I have had from them.

4. Got to go to the brewery if you haven't been there. Outstanding food and on-site-only beers. Get the Poké.

5. Victory is solid.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. ^^^^^ their chipotle wings are great too.

Have them cater your wedding and they'll definitely be your favorite brewery. Awesome to work with. Great beers.

7. bkov33

bkov33 Savant (265) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

prima pils is my all time favorite pilsner, probably my favorite lager

benart likes this.
  8. Victory, along with some of their PA brethren, brew the best lagers in America. Prima Pils, their draft-only Braumeister Pils, St. Victorious, St. Boisterous, and so on.

brooklynbrews and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

Doesn't everyone have a Golden Monkey story?

barknee, kirkse, JimsArcade and 6 others like this.
  10. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Am I the only one that thinks Victory sucks? Maybe I just get old beers sent to me in trades?

11. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

I have yet to try victory, i've only seen them once in my area, but wasn't able to buy any at the time.

12. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We all have our opinions though lol.

barknee likes this.
  13. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

I agree, Victory is pretty good. I've had Baltic Thunder, Storm King, Summer Love (all of which I liked), and Braumeister Pils (which I wasn't too fond of). They definitely do stouts & porters right!

14. It's possible. Victory 12 packs can linger. When fresh, Hop Devil is one of the best east coast IPA's out there. And their pilsners are as good as any in America. Some of their beers, like Monkey and Storm King, are very love/hate. Their portfolio runs very deep, but those are the more popular beers...

Rekrule likes this.
  15. Victory rules. I've yet to have a bad beer from them. Headwaters is one of my favorite pale ales. Prima is just world class.

16. Wrong, and yes I mean your Opnion... That title belongs to New Glarus and Capital in WI, just playin of course Prima pils is mighty tasty.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  17. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

victoryis legit. hopdevil resh is off the charts delicious. cant believe i havent seen anyone talking about hop wallop. if your a hophead then you have to try wallop its a delicious hop kick to the mouth.

HarmonMW, Horbar and HeyJim like this.
  18. New Glarus is tasty, no doubt, but the PA breweries have great depth. 4 different PA breweries have won GABF Gold for German Pils and Victory isn't even one of them (they have a Silver though). Let's just agree that PA, WI, and to a certain extent TX, have a monopoly on quality German-style brewing in the US.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  19. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

victory is legit. hopdevil resh is off the charts delicious. cant believe i havent seen anyone talking about hop wallop. if your a hophead then you have to try wallop its a delicious hop kick to the mouth.

barknee, RayUF07 and happy4hoppybeer like this.
  20. Ha, yes! (I'll bite). Phillies opening day 2003. Afternoon game, 3 of us, 1 case. Finished in parking lot. "Saw" 7th inning on. Hit the city afterwards, good times, but forgot to call very prego wife. Riot act at 2am. Been making up for it in the 10 years since. Ah, Sweet Monkey.

brooklynbrews, pjeagles and jimmy666 like this.
  21. i love the brew pub but im not a big fan of the bottled stuff (including ba brews)

BrownAleMale likes this.
  22. If I wanted grilled Pikachu, I'd go straight to the scource at Nintendo.

23. Had their Hop Devil. One of the worst IPAs I've had all year.

CMUbrew likes this.
  24. Heard you the first time. It's got a hop kick, sure. But it's unbalanced and not a very pleasant beer.

IMHO of course.

25. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

I'm not ready to say they suck, but I did not like Hop Devil, and Storm King was very underwhelming. Many others still to try though.

BrownAleMale and hoppytobehere like this.
  26. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I don't like most of their beers either, but I do like HopDevil, and a few other of their beers are okay too.

27. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Victory is awesome. I'm actually drinking a Red Thunder right now. Not a big Hop Devil or Storm King fan, but I love Golden Monkey, Headwaters, Hop Wallop, and Yakima Glory. If you like Black IPAs, go get some Yakima. It's one of the best.

jhartley likes this.
  28. I haven't had Hop Devil fresh, but Hop Wallop is damn tasty, balanced or not it's all about da hops with that one, imho.
    I had Yakima Glory last year and thought it was a great tasting beer.
    Also, I just picked up a bottle of Baltic Thunder today and next week will be the Red Thunder.

29. What do you think about the Red Thunder?
    Headwaters is a decent PA too.

30. Doesn't everyone have a Golden Monkey story?

Too funny jimmy666...............shit f's with ur DNA without question.

jimmy666 likes this.
  31. I think I agree. Almost across the board I find better beers for every style pretty consistently. I still buy their stuff whenever I have a tasting, but I don't think I've ever been very impressed.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  32. Big fan of the Golden Monkey, though.

33. When DFH pulled their distribution from Indiana, Hop Wallop was my savior in the absence of 90 minute.

34. Steeeve

It's very good, maybe not great. I loved it at first but it's really taking on the dry red wine characteristics as it warms, and I'm not the biggest fan of red wine.

35. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (465) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Victory's Midland Stout is an outstanding new English style stout. Quite good. Helios is amazing and possibly my favorite US saison. Uncle Teddy's Bitter is again quite good and the best US bitter I've had. The brewpub is 55 minutes from my house.

36. Steeeve

My only Golden Monkey story is that I'm the only one of my friends who hasn't barfed it up. I love to grab a growler of it and know that no one else will want any :D

37. I'm definitely a fan. There's definitely a Golden Monkey story in my timeline...but...well...let's just say it ended very well...Really looking forward to trying Oak Horizontal and White Monkey.

My only complaint is that around Boston they're usually around $14/6, which is a little steep.

Storm King with a year on it is superb.

38. Resuin

Resuin Champion (890) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Golden Monkey is the beer that introduced me to Beer. Rather than one of the beers "I had heard of" I decided to order that one at a bar one time, and I was hooked. It came in a "funny glass" (a goblet) and actually had "flavor". After a couple Golden Monkey six packs, this brought me to investigate the whole "Tripel" family, and then I branched out from there. I definitely have a lot of respect for the work they do over at Victory.

barknee and thepartybird like this.
  39. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Red Thunder was was solid and fairly priced.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  40. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I have to question anyone saying they didn't like HopDevil, and have to assume they had it old? I think of it as a shade better than Two Hearted.

kirbmeist and VonZipper like this.