1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory is Becoming My Favorite Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by clegolfski, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Riveting story.
  2. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Love the Helios - a $4 bottle round here and had a nice pucker factor and pepper kick. The Hop Devil is great as well when fresh.
    victory4me likes this.
  3. Poké is a raw salad, typically Ahi. In this case, that runs true. It is sesame Ahi over a seaweed salad bed. Huge serving for two as an appetizer.
  4. If your not a big hop devil fan why is it your avitar?
  5. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

I know right? I was just thinking the same thing.

Your welcome!
  6. JMad

JMad Initiate (0) Texas May 22, 2010

Victory is awesome. I like the headwaters pale ale, hop wallop, prima pils, hop devil, I could go on...
  7. I had a fresh Headwaters on tap tonight and it was tasty.
  8. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I love hop devil, one of my favorite ipas. But, last week I ordered it at a really good bar around here and it tasted horrible. Looked at the bottle and the best by date was April 30th 2012!! learned the hard way that much age can ruin a hop devil. :(
  9. Storm King and Hop Wallop are stellar beers. I've tried HopDevil on two seperate occasions, and I hated it both times. That being said, I never had it fresh. In fact, both times I had it, it was at least 6 months past the best-by date.
  10. I would go to Victory more often if The Station Taproom wasn't right down the road!
  11. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Love Victory but few IPAs are better than Two Hearted including Devil.
    JimsArcade and Horbar like this.
  12. Victory will never get they hype of some other breweries on BA. They don't excel at the typical hyped styles. They don't produce a standout IPA, and there are better, readily available imperial stouts and barley wines out there.

What they do really well are more sessionable brews, German styles and Belgians. Their Lager, Helios, Braumeister Pils, and St Boisterous are all top notch. The brewpub is great and I love that they keep their beer reasonably priced and available in 6 packs.
  13. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

Love: Prima

Really like: Golden Monkey

OK: Baltic Thunder, Storm King, Hop Devil

Not a fan of: Yakima, Saison du Buff

There are many other breweries producing better beer than Victory, at around the same price point. In my opinion. Except for Prima, which is the shit. Not my opinion, fact.
  14. ill hop on this train for sure, victory is super legit. love the prima pils for skate sessions and random party beers.(its generally my "bring a six pack over" beer) solid brewery!
  15. They had a Harvest Pils on tap at the brewery a month or so ago.....probably the best Pils I've had. Better than Prima, brought home a Growler of it that was disappeared way too fast.
  16. CHickman

CHickman Savant (435) New York Jan 7, 2009

@Buffs9: "Am I the only one that thinks Victory sucks? Maybe I just get old beers sent to me in trades?"

You must have gotten some old or bad beers, because most of the regular line are very good; I was 20 minutes away from the brewery last week and kick myself in the ass for not making the trip there. Get some fresh beer, like the Prima Pils, Hop Wallop, Storm King Stout or HopDevil and you will be a fan.
  17. Hop devil was one of the kegs at my wedding back in the 1990's. I drink prima and summer love all summer long. Right now I am drinking a yakima. Love me some moonglow too. Very solid beers. Tap only donnybrook and alla spina and midland stout are really good. Not a big monkey fan nor storm king.

Helios at less than $3.50 a bomber is an awesome beer. I have a case sitting in the basement right now. It will age great for this summer.

Amazing customer service

Try the ice cream it made with wort and very good.

Growler fills are good price, food is ok.

Otto in oak was my favorite beer last year, did not find any this year

Solid brewery and with expansion they will have lots of room to experiment.

Enjoy
  18. First time I had HopDevil I wasn't a fan. Pretty sure it wasn't very fresh. Had it a little while after that at a friend's B-day party at a Chinese restaurant cause it was the only IPA available and liked it a little more. Last week I picked up a fresh six pack (about two weeks old), and HopDevil is a great IPA. Also, the price is hard to beat.
  19. I know, I was just making a joke. I love Poke.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  20. That's Gumbi's friend, right?
  21. being that i can get relatively cheap and fresh 6ers of an great IPA, IIPA, Imp Stout, and Trippel here in NJ from Victory, i enjoy the brewery. I think they're better than weyerbacher, and i am excited to see more of their BA program.

viva la Victory!
  22. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I love Storm King and Dark Intrigue.
  23. The only Victory beer that has wowed me is Yakima Glory.
  24. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

why is Hopdevil your profile pic if you don't like it?
  25. Victory makes some solid beers across the board, and although they are not my favorite brewery, Prima Pils is hands down my favorite pilsener of all time.
  26. I totally agree. Ive had 3 beers from(Prima Pils,Storm King,Baltic porter) them and all were below average for the style. For me it is one of my least favorite breweries along side Sam Adams.
  27. Chinon01

What are your favorite pils?
  28. diamondc

diamondc Savant (320) Texas May 30, 2006

I look forward to Summer Love which is excellent ... their other regular beers, ehh.. I do enjoy Hop Wallop when I can find it fresh. :cool:
  29. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Over the summer my local had Victory Lager on tap for a while and on a hot, muggy day that simple, unassuming brew drank like a glassful of resuscitation. I never seem to see it bottled, though, so instead my Victory picks tend to be the Prima Pils or the Headwaters Pale, with the rare foray into Hop Wallop (which I'd get more often if I could find it fresh).
    RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  30. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

I believe they are my favorite US brewery, maybe after Russian River.
  31. Their lineup is pretty sweet. I find myself buying cases of prima pills and the lager in the summer and storm king when I feel like it. Moonglow is another favorite of mine that I seemed to of missed this year.
  32. Victory is the brewery that got me into craft beer. They make some good stronger brews, but where they shine is their sessionable beers. It should go without saying that they are the pinnacle of pilsner brewing in America. (With all due respect to New Glarus, but only one state in the union can get access to their beers.) From Prima to Harvest to the various Braumeisters: their pilsners are all stellar. Headwaters Pale Ale is a revelation in the category. If you can get to the brewery (or are lucky to find a rare tapping outside the brewpub), order an Uncle Teddy's Bitter on cask. It is the best real ale I've had that wasn't in a pub in England. Of course, all of these sessionable beers need to be absolutely fresh to be truly appreciated.

I really miss their WildDevil: that beer was sublime and probably my all-time favorite brew of theirs. I'm hoping they start making it again soon after the new facility is open.
  33. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

hopdevil is great fresh but goes down hill fast. maybe those that don't care for it got some old stuff?
    anyway, aside from hopdevil, I'm a big fan of storm king, prima and golden monkey for their regular lineup, summer love, old horizontal and festbier for seasonals.
  34. RenoZymurgist

RenoZymurgist Savant (375) Nevada May 4, 2003

Otto was terrible IMO, HopDevil is a very poor example of an IPA, Yakima Twilight is harsh and way too malty, Dark Intrigue had almost no barrel character at all compared to many BAIS I drink regularly, Hop Wallop is very sweet and has no hop aroma, Old horizontal should be reformulated as well. Their German lagers are good but I don't seek out american craft breweries for German styles but they have done a good job with Headwaters so there is some hope. They epitomize what I consider "east coast" and coming from the west I would pass on pretty much all of the beers I find out here. Green Flash, Stone, Sierra, Lagunitas, and Firestone Walker destroy Victory any day of the week. As this is just my opinion I would encourage anyone who has a differing one to give Victory the pepsi challenge with the aforementioned breweries beers on a style by style basis and make up their own mind.
  35. Ive had their Hop Wallop , Golden Monkey and Hopdevil and loved all three of them , I only get to pick them up when I drive to Memphis , but when I go I make sure I pick up some
  36. Storm King - especially with age - is an awesome hoppy RIS.

And Hop Wallop is great too - especially with age. Wait...what?!
  37. NG Two Woman is my favorite
  38. Chinon01

It appears to me you wanna pigeon hole Victory into styles you prefer and ignore many of the styles they excel in. Judging Victory while ignoring their German styles in completely unfair. That's their hallmark. Second I don't know of any US brewery doing a better English Best Bitter, English Stout or Farmhouse Ale.
    victory4me likes this.
  39. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

You had to be quick this year on the Moonglow. They bottled only about 10,000 cases (or maybe less) and it was distributed only in the 5 county area of SEPA. Fortunately one of the distributors near me is a big account and on the ball so I was able to order and get a case right after it came out.
  40. Go to an outdoor summer music fest featuring Dark Star Orchestra. Beautiful day. Beer truck has a big Bud sign on it. Walk up to it and they have Bud, Bud light and Hop Devil. All the same price for a 16 oz cup. Maybe a combination of the weather, the music, the show vibe but I was in Nirvana.:D Hop Devil became (and still is) one of my favorite beers.
    And yes Victory is making some of the best stuff out there. Glad they make an effort to come to all of the Jersey beer festivals.