1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory is Becoming My Favorite Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by clegolfski, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RenoZymurgist

RenoZymurgist Savant (390) Nevada May 4, 2003

Again it is just my opinion I am not trying to offend just to add a counterpoint to the discussion. Magnolia in SF only makes Cask conditioned English ales and has never put out a product as bland as strangeways or uncle teddys. Lodgson's Farmhouse and Hill Farmstead make the best farmhouse ales in America as well as Ommegang and Jester King. Victory is so so in that department as well.

2. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

I agree 100%. Moonglow was decent but that's it.

3. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (320) New York Oct 28, 2010

I live 5 minutes from Victory and love it. Although I wish they would come out with more Imperial Stout's. I do like the effort with the Aged series they are coming out with. Have a Red Thunder I'll be trying Christmas Eve.

4. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

I didn't mention Strangeways and The Bros give Teddy's a score of 99. What do they know. And again how can you take German styles out of the discussion and think you've judged Victory fairly. It's what they do.

5. I just bought a 6er of Hop Devil and totally agree with the Bros.- it is world class.

xxbillay likes this.
  6. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

There's so much to like about Victory. Headwaters rekindled my adoration for pale ales and Prima Pils is one of my favorite beers.

The only (very) slight negatives: Yakima needs to age for it to be enjoyable to me. And Old Horizontal really does make me sleepy.

DeathBYzombieZ likes this.
  7. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

We did a video review of Red Thunder last night. 2 out of the 3 of us were floored by this beer! I don't want to over-hype it for those who haven't had it, but It exceeded my expectations. Great to see a PA/East Coast brewery upping their game a bit. While I didn't love Dark Intrigue....Red Thunder is worth every bit of the $7.99 that I paid for it!

8. Matt,

Prima Pils is indeed a tasty beer.

If you ever get a chance to go to the Victory Brewpub they will on occasion have ‘special’ Pilsners they label as Braumeister Pilsners. They have a Braumeister Pils on tap right now. I have not had the whole family of these Pils but the ones I have had I really enjoyed; a number of them I liked better that Prima Pils (it might be a strong influence of very fresh on draft kind of thing):

· Braumeister Pils – Saaz
    · Braumeister Pils - Summit
    · Braumeister Pils - Hallertauer
    · Braumeister Pils - Spalt
    · Braumeister Pils - Sladek
    · Braumeister Pils – Tettnang
    · Braumeister Pils – Harvest Pils

I thought the Braumeister Pils – Sladek was OUTSTANDING!! I also really enjoyed the Hallertauer and Saaz version. I thought the Tettnang version was good but I preferred Prima Pils to this version.

The Harvest Pils (which is wet hopped) is also very, very tasty.

I have seen Victory Braumeister Pils on occasion at Philly area beer bars but it is mostly available at the Brewpub in Downingtown or the Victory Beer Hall at the Philly Sports Complex.

Cheers!

mattbk likes this.
  9. RenoZymurgist

Ok ill bend. Victory makes amazing German Lagers and if you did a comparison with most west coast lagers they would win. Although Trumer only makes a pils and wins tons of medals while I havent seen many medals for Prima, though Trumer is techically a german brewery with an American plant. I prefer IPAs and American styles so if I had a choice between going to the Bistro's Double IPA fest or going to (insert PA german lager fest here) I would go to the double IPA fest. I just wanted to state that I don't personally like any of their ales except for headwaters. They are obviously making some great beer or they wouldnt have fans or the funds to expand, but my beer dollars usually go to IPAs and theirs isnt one of them. As far as Teddys, it is strange that it isnt cask conditioned yet it is served though a handpump, to me that is kind of misleading. Magnolia follows CAMRA guidelines and I feel there ales are much more authentic. Anyway I think this is going way off topic so ill stop posting on this thread as I think i have stated my point, hopefully without coming off like a jerk as I love beer and don't intend on bashing anyone I just wished to state my preference.

10. Chinon01

Trumer is an Austrian brewery with an American plant;]

11. Chinon01

You forgot Hersbrucker.

12. Trumer is Austrian, but the Berkeley, CA brewery is owned by Gambrinus of Pete's-BridgePort-Spoetzl [Shiner] fame (as well as the former importer of Trumer and the ex-importer of Moosehead and Corona).

According to reports at the time, Gambrinus licenses the brand and brewery names for the US market, and gets technical support from the Austrian brewery.

13. As I was constructing the list I was thinking to myslelf that I would miss one (or two?).

Thanks for the catch!

Cheers!

14. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

In my opinion, Victory is good. Only beer of theirs I wasn't that into is Festbier. I even liked "Golden Monkey" and I'm really not into tripels.

15. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

So basically you're not really into beer, just over the top retarded WC IPAs.

16. Porkhustle

St. Boisterous and St Victorious are amazing, as are the Braumeister pils'. Old Horizontal, Lager, Prima and Helios are also pretty damn great. Great brewery. Devoid of that bratty American craft attitude of excess.

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  17. RenoZymurgist

No I hate yellow Lagers, octoberfests, and helles styles. Those are Victory's best beers that is why i am not a huge fan. I think balance is for other people, I drank balanced IPAs back when I was 21-22 then I got addicted to hops and I experienced Lupulin threshold shift. Yellow lagers, yes even the "hoppy" ones are not my thing.

18. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (555) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

went to the brewpub a couple of months ago- heaven on earth.

19. Chinon01

You forgot about their dark lagers including St Victorious (Doppelbock) and Moonglow (Weizenbock) each receiving scores of 97 and 98 respectively from the Bros. Lager is more than pale and fizzy and sometimes hoppy.

20. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

They lost me a bit when they skipped an entire year of Old Horizontal. I was PISSED. Love Old Horizontal.

I like Hop Devil more as well. That might be because Two Hearted is in the bottom half of all IPAs I've ever tried though. I think Hop Wallop is their better IPA though.

21. Porkhustle

You keep mentioning IPAs as if they are the apex of beer culture. Hate to break it to you, Mr West Coast IPA Man, but there is a world of beer out there that isn't about hop assault.

22. +1 to this. I was put off by it at first but, after having it a second time, it became one of my favorites for when I was in the mood for a dose of the funk. Bring it back!!

23. Same way I feel about Cigar City. Not too crazy about Victory myself. A couple brews I've enjoyed.

24. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

I wouldn't call Hop Wallop a balanced IPA....it's pretty pine & floral heavy. Not much citrus though. I challenge you to try Red Thunder if you're into barrel aged beers. It's superb IMO. Cheers man.

25. Killer brewery and yes Prima is the bomb. Storm King was an early fave stout for me but I smartly aged my Golden Monkey for about a year before drinking.

26. Weizenbocks are not lagers, but Moonglow is a great beer

27. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Prima Pils is always in stock at my house!

28. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Yakima Glory is one of the best black IPA's out there, IMHO. And Dark Intrigue (the barrel aged version of Storm King) was stellar. I hope they start making DI in bigger batches. I used to work at Victory back in the day, and it was pretty much the sole reason for me 'seeing the light' craft-wise, so Victory will always have a special place in my heart. I do wish they would experiment a little more, maybe put out a wild ale or another DIPA or stout (although the Donnybrook stout is amazing). But overall, I love Victory. Always solid.

29. Victory makes solid beers, i can say they make atleast 10 beers annually that id buy over and over, i cant say that about too many brewies. Hellios is excellent and one of the best priced beers i have found. Stormking, hop devil, hop wallop, summer love, primia pils, baltic and red thunder, headwaters, yakima glory, all great imo, not a fan of golden monkey though.

30. DrWily

DrWily Aficionado (100) Illinois Nov 25, 2012

Currently sipping a golden monkey loving life. It's my first experience with victory and I'm impressed. Golden monkey is a great tripel. The victory mixed pack has made my night.

Resuin and DeathBYzombieZ like this.
  31. They are pretty solid.

32. Vivs85

Vivs85 Aficionado (240) New York Nov 29, 2012

Victory 12 ale is amazingly good... I like most things from Victory, but this one was highly impressive

33. I revisited the Yakima glory last night and its out of bounds good. :cool:

34. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Just bought a variaty pack and loved em all except the Golden Monkey had white chunks on the bottom of the bottle. havent touched it

35. That's normal for bottle conditioned beers. It's just yeast which has flocculated and dropped out of suspension. You can consume it. Hell, some beers are better that way. Or if it grosses you out, just pourly slowly to keep the sediment in the bottle. You will limit yourself considerably if you turn away all bottle conditioned beers though.

DaKur and DeathBYzombieZ like this.
  36. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Just discovered Victory lager. Probably the best American Helles lager I've had. Prima pils and their IPAs are great. I even like Golden Monkey which was featured on my Cicerone exam (spiked with "infection"). Great brewery. Wish it was available in STL.

37. NYRfan4ever

NYRfan4ever Savant (250) New Jersey Oct 30, 2009

Prima, Golden Monkey, and fresh hop devil (our distributor sucks here so its hard to find fresh) are my favorite year round brews. Their barrel stuff is getting better, Red Thunder was decent and should age well and they just put out Oak Horizontal. Cheers!!

38. RenoZymurgist

Thanks for enlightnening me. I forgot that in the eight years I have been a member of this site I have never reviewed or drank anything but IPAs from california. Do you know more things about the world of beer I should hear about as in the two weeks you've been a member you must have really dug into some hidden gems in the world of beer styles. People with attitudes like yours are why I will never live on the east coast, way too judgemental and quick to act aggressively. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are to yours, deal with it in a manner befitting an advocate not a hater.

39. Porkhustle

Hate to break it to you, IPA Boy, but a BA register date is not an indicator as to how much one loves beer, and your sweeping comment about the east coast and your general arrogance are hallmarks of ignorance. So carry on wearing your lupulis threshold as a badge of honor and I will carry on viewing it as a badge of isolation

40. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Nope.
    You are not alone.
    The only good thing Victory ever did was to name their brewery as a reference to Orwell's 1984.