1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory is Becoming My Favorite Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by clegolfski, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Dew1016

Dew1016 Aficionado (195) Virginia Nov 19, 2008

I was at Victory yesterday. I picked up 3 bottles of Oak Horizontal (Old Ho aged in bourbon barrels) Going to have one tomorrow night. I also had the Red Thunder last night. I was not that impressed with it, as I am not a fan of red wine. In a few months, I read they will come out with a "White Monkey". I'll try it when it comes out, but I am not a fan of either white wine nor the Monkey.

2. HarmonMW

HarmonMW Savant (490) Missouri Feb 11, 2012

I like several of the Victory offerings, but Hop Wallop has to be my personal favorite

barknee likes this.
  3. barknee

barknee Savant (250) New York Oct 5, 2004

All of Victory's brews are so distinctively different from each other, and the portfolio of product is impressive and delicious! An excellent brewery!

4. It is really refreshing to see this thread as Victory is obviously one of my top 5 favorite breweries. I'm really excited about their upcoming expansion as it will lead to increased production of beers like Moonglow and Old Horizontal. I've been super disappointed by the lack of Old Ho the last two years.

The fact they have swept aside some of their best beers in favor of their most popular beers just felt a little too "Magic Hatty" for me.

5. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

If you're talking IPAs and IIPAs, I agree that the better CA IPA brewers have better examples than Hop Devil and Hop Wallop. Most of the beers you listed are not the beers that really set Victory apart -- the two IPAs are pretty good but not great, Yakima Twilight IMO is mediocre. Agreed, Dark Intrigue had little barrel character, intentionally I believe. On the other hand, Prima Pils, Braumeister Pils, some of the hefeweissens and maltier dunkels, etc are straight up amazing and are to me the type of beers that more define what Victory is about. And Old Horizontal, which I find one of the best American style barleywines, especially when aged a couple years. The Oak Horizontal was surprisingly great and had way more barrel character than I expected.

boblinneman likes this.
  6. +1 vote for the Victory love party. Dark Intrigue was one of my favorite beers last year, and Prima Pils is my go to summer beer. I think I take it for granted because it's easier to find here than a lot of brews. Have yet to make it East for the brew pub though. It's high on my list of things to do ...

7. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

Love:
    -Hop Wallop
    -Hop Devil
    -Head Waters
    Hate:
    - Golden Monkey..its terrible, FACT!
    "wheat beers" they just really arent that good..Just a few, come to mind, a FEW.
    -yes opinions Vary, & that's mine...but not Really, "most"..not all (maybe under 10 in all existence) - Wheat beers are Garbage..(&) for Girls ;P

8. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

A 6-pack of Storm King is ~$12 and at >9% abv a good buy. The high amount of hoppiness is a detraction though, perhaps aging it for a year might help with that

9. With Christmas dinner I shared a bottle of oak horizontal, bolt cutter & bourboun county coffee. Oak ho was my favorite of the three. Looking forward to the expansion. Victory's lagers are world class.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.