1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Victory Red Thunder

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BearsOnAcid, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Is it supposed to smell like brett and taste watery? Anyone have this experience too or am i imagining it?

2. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

3. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

I enjoyed it. Def got a lot of the tannin qualities. I thought it was anything but watery. Can't wait for White Monkey in a few weeks.

jlenik likes this.
  4. I somewhat get what you mean when you say it smells Brett-y. The aroma is definitely overpowered by the red wine barrels.

I didn't think it tasted watery, but the flavors were a little hard to pick out. They all seemed to conglomerate together with that near-tart red wine barrel note leading the charge. I still thought it was pretty tasty. Definitely interesting, at the least.

5. I opened a bottle the day of the release, then had it on draft a couple weeks later. No Brett in either experience. Very prominent red wine qualities and a more than adequate mouthfeel.

benart likes this.
  6. I got lots of red wine flavors along with roastiness and dark fruit characters typical in their Baltic Thunder. Also thought the mouthfeel was very creamy. Overall I was very pleasantly surprised with this beer. It's not the typical type of beer that Victory excels in making but I thought they nailed it.

7. lovindahops

lovindahops Advocate (645) New York Mar 26, 2010

I'm slightly with you. The red wine combo did push out a thin taste profile. It was different to say the least.

8. Maybe you got an off bottle, or it's evolving- I haven't had it since it was released. But I will echo what the others said- no brett, lots of red wine on the nose, nice creamy mouthfeel. Much better as it warmed, too- the wine was too prominent when it was at cellar temp (50F).

9. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Yep, sounds like the beer I got to try not long after release.

10. I considered picking one up yesterday but decided to pass. I think it was $10 which seemed cheap to me, what has everyone else been paying?

11. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Been debating picking this one up, this thread isn't giving me much motivation to try it.

12. I'm pretty sure it was $9, so that's the right range- definitely worth taking a chance at that price, imo. I think the Oak Horizontal was more in the $15 range, though I haven't gotten that one yet.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  13. For people saying they had it right after the release, I was with someone that had it then and he said it didnt taste like that after the release. This beer had barely any sweetness or flavor to it.

Upsetting because baltic thunder was a beer I was really into when starting out with craft beer.

14. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Picked mine up for $8. North Jersey btw.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  15. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

I had it a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. I was pretty surprised how much of the red wine barrel character was imparted on the taste and aroma.

it was a little on the thin side but i wouldnt call it watery by any means. I definitely didn't get any of the brett character you mentioned though.

16. I paid $8.99 a couple of weeks ago.
    I didn't pick up on a Brett and I didn't think it was thin either. Tons of red wine flavor. I thought it was a damn good beer, I would like to pick up another bottle and set it down for another year or two just to see how it would evolve.

17. Mohican88

Mohican88 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 20, 2010

got a bottle for $7.50 which is pretty damn cheap for a bomber of beer that spent time in a barrel. I bought it a couple weeks ago but I just put it in the fridge 20 minutes ago and will pop it open sometime this weekend.

18. I thought this was really solid. Dry wine flavors melded well with creamy stout.

19. $10 when it first released. I thought it was well done. Much like Baltic thunder with a slightly fruity smooth finish due to the wine... Took away the smokeyness. Oak horizontal was awesome as well IMO. Would like to try the white monkey, but it will depend on if I'm in a tripel mood when it releases.

20. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I thought it was pretty thin and watery too when I had it a couple weeks ago. However, baltic porters dont typically have a huge mouthfeel. I think the barrel aging put an interesting twist to it and those tangy fruit flavors certainly open the door for unique interpretation of whats going on in that brew.

21. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Bottom Line: This beer did an awesome job at grabbing the qualities of the wine barrel. On the opposite side of that, don't expect a goose island bourbon county barrel program.

jlenik likes this.
  22. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Hmmmm. Wine barrel aged porter? Where is GuruDel when you need him.
    To the OP we dont get all the funky Victorys. I bet the feel is probably because of what Stakem said. Most don't have that stout mouthfeel behind them.

Cheers!

23. Anyone have any opinion on ageworthiness? I'm not gettting that impression from the notes above or in the ratings.

24. Looking at my review from months ago I questioned the possible inclusion of Brett in the beer. I would think by now if Brett was involved that Red Thunder may be a pretty tart one by now. Regardless I thought it was decent.

25. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I personally don't see this one getting better (or worse) with age unless there is a contamination issue. To add to my opinion, if you look back at the reviews it doesn't look like opinions of the beer now differ all that much from people who had it fresh in November. I realize in the grand scheme of things 3 months isnt much aging but the same gripes and downward opinions are still present in what is coming up now that more people are tasting the beer.