1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vintage BCBS Questions

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Dontcounttoday, Jun 12, 2012.

1. I am looking to trade in the near future for some vintage BCBS and I want to clear up a few things.

1. What is the specific bottling date/s for 2007 bCBS made in PvW barrels?

2. What is the last year bottles used twist off caps?

3. Was 2009 the only vintage that came in 22oz bottles? It was also on 12oz I assume?

4. Are there any specific bottling dates from any vintages known to be infected?

If you have any other noteworthy and nfo about vintage BCBS please leave it here, and thanks!
  2. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

1. ?

2. 2008

3. Yes and yes.

4. Not that I've ever heard of, other than some reporting off flavors in Rare BCBS.
    claaark13 likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply! About the twist off question, are you saying that 2009 is the first year they used regular bottle caps?

Also, how will twist off caps affect oxidation and aging?
  4. sherm1016

2009 is the first year they had pry off caps.

My 2008 BCBS has been really tasty recently. If there's any oxidation, it's the tasty kind. It's been a few months though.
  5. MHowdy

MHowdy Disciple (70) Michigan Apr 29, 2012

Wasn't aware that any BCBS was aged in PvW barrels other than Rare of course
  6. chronie

chronie Aficionado (170) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

I was under the assumption that the 2006-2007 bottles were using Jack Daniels barrels. You should also consider PM'ing Ken H, the communications manager for Goose Island.
  7. I believe you are correct, but there was one bottling (at least one, pretty sure only one) that was made in PvW barrels. I am 90% sure it was those with the bottling label "101207." I am just wondering if that is the only one. For instance, I have a 2007 bottle with the bottled on label reading "1011207" and I want to be sure its not PvW barrel aged. Perhaps I will message him, thanks!
  8. I would also like to ask, what the hell is Manhatten BCBS and was it legitimately bottled?
  9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

BCS aged in Manhattan barrels from Koval I do believe. It was at FoBAB, never bottled.
  10. I don't think a "Manhattan Barrel" exists.

The beer was aged in a Four Roses barrel that Violet Hour then used to barrel age their own Manhattan cocktails in for 8 weeks. TVH's Manhattan recipe was composed of Weller 107 Bourbon, Punt e Mes Italian Vermouth and Angostura bitters

After all that, Goose Island filled the barrel with their Imperial Stout.
    cestlavie likes this.
  11. I see. Was just curious as I just saw pictures of bottles hand written "Manhatten Bourbon County Stout" on them. Interesting but I dont think I will be looking for that one
  12. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I found the 2007 to be holding up quite well as of early this year (February?). I don't know the previous storage conditions (received in a trade), but I had it at room temp on my "drink now" shelf for about 6 months. Tasted very, very good. Lots of fudge, some vanilla, no heat, still had some nice lacing evident.
  13. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I'm pretty sure 2009 was that last year for twist-offs. I had a 2009 recently that was a twist-off.
    dvelcich likes this.
  14. sherm1016

You could be correct. I'll have to look when I get home. I might just be getting confused with the label change, which I know was 2009.
  15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Obviously. I figured elaboration wasn't necessary. Especially since I'm on my phone.

I was mistaken on Koval. Interesting that it was 4 Roses barrel.
  16. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I'll just mention that '03-'05 were pretty faded when I had them at a tasting on St. Patrick's Day. '06 and later were holding up very well.
  17. Also, we switched from Jim Beam barrels to Heaven Hill barrels in 2006
  18. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

I still haven't seen confirmation that the 10/12/07 bottling date was PVW-only and not a blend. Just sayin'.
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Laffler and a local restaurant were playing with some ideas and actually aged Manhattans in the Four Roses barrels, sold the manhattans at said restaurant, then aged BCBS in the barrels, and you are correct my friend, it was tasty at FoBaB.

20. Yes I found that page awhile ago and while it does seem generally accepted that 101207 is the bottling date for PvW there is nothing definitive state. Was hoping Kenoftheyear might have some insight. Another person in that thread asked about the same bottling date as what I have which was just 1 day prior, 101107 and if that might also be PvW barrel. Also are ALL the bottles from 101207 PvW?
  21. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Some bottles do exist, but they are basically for 'internal use only' and very likely will never see the light of day outside of the brewery.
    cestlavie likes this.
  22. So I didn't notice in Ken's reply he answered all my questions in the quote. He states that only Rare was ever made in Pappy barrels, and no '07. There's also an open trade thread where this is being discussed and most have come to the conclusion that he is is correct as he works for GI.
    I do not know Ken and do not think that he is lying, but how long has he worked for GI and what does he do? Is it possible he just never heard of regular bcbs being brewed with Pappy? It makes a big difference in trades so it would be good to be sure.

Also the guy that is trying to trade a bottle is trying to contact the brewery but who knows if he will find someone with that specific knowledge. Any definitive proof one way or the other would be appreciated though
  23. Barrels are blended, so even if any Pappy barrels were used, their contents would have been blended with other types of barrels.
  24. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

I had one of my 2008 BCBS last month....in a word phenomenal!