Virginia vacation recommendations???

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by alan013, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan013

alan013 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2007 Wisconsin

Greetings to the East coast beer lovers from Wisconsin!

My folks are vacationing in Williamsburg and Richmond and my Dad is looking for recommendations for some great treats to bring back. When I asked him what styles he's looking for, he said "yes". We both love BIG beers and stick more to the ale side. Belgians, super hoppy IPAs, stouts, barleywines, Scots, etc. Bell's Hopslam is a favorite as well as Sierra Nevada, Ommegang, Founders, Oscar Blues, Alesmith. We can get some of those in Wisco, but we're more interested in trying some of the local flavorites that we probably won't even hear about back home.

We both thank you in advance for your picks!!!

Your brother in hops,

Scott

2. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

For some very drinkable beers look for Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager and 8 Point IPA, their spring seasonal Beglian Ale, Azrael is out now. Blue Mountain makes a great BA Stout called Dark Hollow. Hardywood in Richmond has some great beers, though most are seasonable and it might be hit or miss what you can find. Strangeways Brewing and Lickinghole Creek makes some solid Belgian style ales. Center of the Universe has a few great pale ales and IPAs as well as some really good other stuff that they do not sell in the area.

In Richmond there is 5 or 6 must try Breweries. Lickinghole Creek, Hardywood, Strangeways, Extra Billy's (BBQ Restaurant that brews it's own beer) and Center of the Universe are all great.

alan013 likes this.
  3. blackie

blackie Pooh-Bah (2,573) Mar 6, 2005 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd look for Three Brothers (Resolute, IPA six packs are nice enough), Lickinghole Creek (large format Belgian bottles, don't think their RIS sees distribution), Williamsburg Alewerks (Coffeehouse Stout, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Rapadou Porter), Hardywood (enjoy most of the large format bottles, and the 4-packs of Great Return are very nice), and O'Connor (Great Dismal). Devil's Backbone 16 Point DIPA has been around, but seems to move quickly. Distribution varies and some of these only make it to one of those two cities. I'm sure any shopkeep at a respectable store would be able to provide some useful advice.

We also pick up Cigar City Jai Alai, and Ithaca Flower Power is up here in northern VA. Foothills from NC recently began distributing to VA - their Hoppyum IPA at least, but not sure what else.

alan013 likes this.
  4. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

the 3 Brothers Resolute just hit distribution last week so it's available around Richmond (though about $20).
    Lickinghole Creeks ba stout, Enlightened Despot, came out a few weeks ago but did see limited distribution and may still be available around Richmond.
    Alewerks Grand Illumination and Bourbon Barrel Porter may still be around the brewery and in shops.
    Hardywoods Hoplar (DIPA aged on poplar wood) just came out and is available, as is Legends 20th anniversary brew - a Imperial Brown

alan013 and beernuts like this.
  5. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I had the Enlightened Despot on draft in Richmond a couple weeks ago and it was awesome, I looked around for bottles the next day and unfortunately I could not find any. That's not to say there are none, though.

alan013 likes this.
  6. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

What do Enlightened Despot, other Lickinghole beers, and 3 Brothers Resolute go for $-wise and how hard to come by are they? I was just setting up a trade for other VA / NC beers and started thinking these may be worth going after. I also visit NC somewhat regularly so I was wondering if they get distributed throughout VA.

7. Raucey

Raucey Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 Virginia

Despot is going to be hard to find in bottles - I was in Richmond maybe a week or two after it came out and I was able to find exactly one bottle - $15

Also, Hardywood is releasing their Bourbon Cru on Saturday and Lickinghole is releasing their DIPA, Four Pillars

8. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

Despot went for anything from $12-18 (shops on the low end, brewery on the high end).
    Resolute went for $13-20 (brewery on the low end, shops on the high end).

highly doubtful you'll find either at the breweries or shops now. no idea about prices for other Lickinghole brews, though they should be generally available most anywhere...

#8 ncaudle, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll have to go the ISO route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.