1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting a friend in Newberg, OR

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by brewtaltap, May 21, 2012.

1. brewtaltap

brewtaltap Zealot (80) Oregon Feb 15, 2011

I'm visiting a friend this weekend in Newberg, Or and was curious if anyone knows where to get good beer in the area. Is there a bottle shop or a good beer bar there?
  2. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

good luck.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Long Brewing is from Newberg, but I don't think they have any sort of tap room or brewpub or anything. Might want to give them a call to see if they do tours or anything.

McMinnville is about 15 minutes SW of Newberg on 99W. The Golden Valley brewpub is there. It's nothing special, IMO, but that's an option. Heater Allen (a very good lager-only brewery) is in McMinnville as well, but they don't have a tasting room either. Fire Mountain Brewhouse in Carlton is about 10 miles west of Newberg. They apparently have tours, but I've never been there.

You'd be better off heading up to Portland if you can.
  4. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

uh, the OP is from Portland.....
  5. guajolote

Oops. In that case, disregard that last sentence in my previous post...
  6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

If there's a good beer bar in Newberg, I confess I don't know about it (I know lot's of places in the area where you can get good pinor noir, viognier and pinot gris, however). However, the Ponzi tasting room up in Dundee typically has 3 or 4 beers on tap, which usually includes something from Heater Allen and Golden Valley. There's also a good size Fred Meyer as you come into town on 99, and they have a decent bottle selection (nothing extraordinary, but you'll find the usual suspects from Ninkasi, Bridgeport, New Belgium, Deschutes, etc.).

As others have suggested, you'd be better off heading up to McMinnville, where you'll find the Golden Valley Brewpub and the Hotel Oregon (McMenamins). There are also a number of watering holes right on 3rd avenue there, and a couple of them have a decent beer selection as well (IMHO).

Don't mean to give you a hard time about this, but I'm not sure why you'd be interested in a good bottle shop in Newberg. Why not simply stop off at John's Market as you head South and simply stock up there? Needless to say, you're not going to find any store in Newberg that even remotely compares to what you can find at John's.

Good luck.
  7. brewtaltap

brewtaltap Zealot (80) Oregon Feb 15, 2011

Just figured since I was in the area I would explore. But it sounds like not much there.
  8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

The beers from Long Brewing are pretty solid, but IMO they're not worth $10/22oz bottle.
    guajolote likes this.
  9. The college in that town has a GREAT student bar that is open to the public. Best taps within 20 miles.
  10. guajolote

Heater Allen just posted this on their FB page:
    "
    We will be open tomorrow from 1 until 4 (or later, depending on traffic). We have Pils, Coastal, and Schwarz on tap for tastes, and bottles of those three along with Hugo Bock (on sale), and Smoky Bob for sale. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood!"