1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Allagash

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by BrewUrbanist, May 8, 2013.

1. Visiting Portland this weekend and had a question about visiting Allagash. Do they have a taproom/tasting room that is open to the public, or do you have to register for a tour? Website isn't exactly clear. Also, I notice the last tour is at 4:00pm on Saturday...how late is the taproom open?

Also...planning to visit Rising Tide, MBC and Baxter while we're in the area. Any others we shouldn't miss? Are Sebago and Shipyward worth a stop?

Thanks, and sorry if this is something that has been covered many times already...

2. The retail shop is for tastings only. but as of a few days ago you do not need to go on the tour to do the tastings!

The tour is really awesome i do recommend it! I got away with just showing up on a Saturday and getting in on a tour but you might not be that lucky so i would register for one online.

The tasting room is awesome! it literally just opened on Thursday/Friday last week. Also they have Coolship Cerise and FV13 for sale along with all the other normal beers. Also Prince Tuesday is on tap in the tasting room (IPA collaboration between Allagash, MBC, and Rising Tide)

Tidesox28 and RichD like this.
  3. Last time I went a few years ago, I showed up right before a tour, had to start on beer#2 and finished on beer#1. Shipyard was tame, I don't even remember going on a tour.. big gift shop thought. Sebago was OK, we went there to eat. Same with Gritty McDuffs. Unless you have a reason to try their beers, just visit the gift shops, lol

4. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Unless they changed it in the past few years, Shipyard is a video and quick peek at the bottling line, then samples. Not really worth it. Sebago might do a tour, but if they do it'll be out in Gorham (~25m from downtown Portland). I'd probably skip Baxter seeing as they are up in Lewiston (~40m from Portland) and their beers aren't great.

I'd highly recommend the Allagash tour, but don't chance just showing up. Reserve online or just hang out in the new taproom. MBC also has a new taproom, but they are up in Freeport now. Not a far drive though. Rising Tide is worth a visit, but you can see the entire brewery from the entrace, so don't fret if you can't make a tour. They do samples and growlers, plus on Saturdays they now have cornhole/bagtoss and a food cart out front.

Tidesox28 and youbrewidrink like this.
  5. Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Hoping we can make it to Allagash and Rising Tide on Saturday. I notice Rising Tide closes at 5pm per their website - that correct?

MBC's hours are weird, but hoping we can hit them (and Oxbow) Wednesday or Thursday, as we'll be heading back toward Portland from Acadia.

6. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I'm probably heading up to Allagash on Friday. You have to register online for the tours even though they're free. I already did, and I recommend doing so because I'd assume that they would be really busy on Saturday. I'm hoping I'll be able to try some great beers in the tasting room and maybe walk out with some other stuff. Does anyone know if Allagash does growlers?

7. no growlers. only tasters.

8. A couple of other places to hit would be Bunker brewing and Urban Farm Fermentory. Bunker is small but is right around the corner from Rising Tide and usually has some interesting beer on tap. UFF doesn't brew beer but has great Ciders, Meads and Kombucha.
    If you have extra time New England Distilling is a short trip from Allagash. They let me try some samples and I got to see their still in action.
    For bars Novare Res is a must. Great Lost Bear has decent food and a tap list with a lot of locals present.

9. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Definitely definitely definitely register for an Allagash tour. It's one of the better tours and the samples are legit. Don't waste your time with shipyard unless you're a retiree and like gift shops.

Also, as stated above. Novare Res is a must.

Tidesox28 likes this.

10. Sorry to repeat the question a bit, but just want to be clear: there's a new tasting room and you don't need to take the tour/make reservations to visit it? I did the tour a year or so ago and enjoyed it, and am planning to be in Portland with some friends this weekend. None of the tour times with open spots remaining really work with our schedule, but if we can just swing by the tasting room during the tour hours, that would be awesome. I'm assuming it's pay per serving? We're also definitely planning to visit Rising Tide, since I really love their beers, and their location and vibe sound perfect.

What's the story with visiting Bunker? I don't think we'll get any growlers since we won't have fridges and we have a lot of ground to cover already, but do they have a tasting room at all?

11. I wouldn't call it a tasting room but you can definitely stop in and get samples.

12. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Bunker is a really cool spot to hang out and drink beer. A little bar inside the brewery with a patio and plenty of space outside.

13. We booked a tour at Allagash for Thursday morning before we head to the airport. The availability of Saturday tours didn't work w/ our schedule. So, we'll hit Rising Tide saturday afternoon.

One question - our Wednesday, we'll be driving back from Bar Harbor toward portland, with definite stops at Oxbow and MBC. Besides MBC and LLBean, is there any reason to stay in Freeport, or should we get back to Portland for our last night? Is MBC a place you can hang out in, order pints, etc? I notice they're open till 8, wouldn't mind spending a good chunk of time there.

14. Brez07

Yes, they serve beer (5 or 10oz)... at bar prices. Just come back to Portland, hit up Novare/GLB/Nosh/Mamas Crowbar... plently of places to find their beer down here

15. I think Urbain from Struise is going to be at Novare Res for some event on Saturday. Might check that out.

16. Yes! you can just show up and get the flight of the four beers on tap. I'm not sure about the cost because i was there the day before this policy went into place! I'm sure they would answer that questions via twitter or Facebook. But i did the tour and got my flight handed to me right after. It was nice with FV 13 and Oddesy being in the flight.

17. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Make sure to stop in here on the way from Bar Harbor to Portland: http://globalbeverage.biz/

Last year I found 4 Cantillon gueuze on their shelf. Only time I've ever found Cantillon sitting on a shelf in the USA, at least in recent years. They've got a ton of great beers available, and it ain't on many BA radars yet, mostly because it's so far away from big cities.

Trevdawg likes this.
  18. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Just left the brewery. Great time. The people are nice, you get a flight of White, Curieux, Prince Tuesday, & FV 13 for free when you take the tour. I left with a glass, a tin sign, a bottle of FV13 and a bottle of Coolship Cerise. Their new tasting room area is really cool as well. Enjoy!

DrEntropy likes this.
  19. Just wanted to follow up: we didn't make it to the Allagash tasting room, but we did hit Rising Tide and Bunker, both of which were great. Being able to walk from the center of town to the Bayside area where they were was a big draw, but the vibe at the two places kept us there for probably over two hours total--it was great. Rising Tide has a nice open space, and I'm a big fan of their beers, and having the cornhole and food truck setup outside was especially nice. But the space and vibe at Bunker were among the coolest of any brewery taproom I've ever visited. We had some great beer and followed it up with some killer coffee next door at Tandem, before climbing Munjoy Hill for the Prince Tuesday release and cookout (provided by East Ender) at Mama's Crowbar. Really an amazing afternoon.

20. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

We had a big group head there on Saturday prior to heading to Novare Res - loved the new tasting room. Great stuff.

21. Since you all were so helpful, I thought I'd post a little recap of the trip (spoiler: Maine is awesome).

We got into Portland on Sat afternoon, made our way to Rising Tide just as they were finishing up. Couple things had kicked, but we still got to try Ursa Minor, Daybreak and the saison who's name I can't recall. Good stuff, and good conversation w/ the folks there. We were given a tip about the Prince Tuesday tapping at Mama's Crowbar, so headed up there, and ended up spending a solid 2 hours there - absolutely loved that place. This is the type of bar DC is missing...

From there, dinner at Duckfat, then drinks at Novare Res (Black Albert!). Not a bad little Saturday...

Sunday, not much beer other than a lunch stop at Great Lost Bear. I was underwhelmed...but did get to try KBS for the first time. Definitely preferred Crowbar and Novare Res.

Couple days in Bar Harbor...nothing particularly noteworthy, but over two days sampled darn near everything from Bar Harbor and Atlantic Brewing.

On the road back to Portland, we made stops at Oxbow and MBC. Oxbow was amazing. such a cool space, and folks were extremely welcoming and friendly - shout outs to Tim and Celeste, if you're on BA! Got to try Loretta, Funkhaus, Freestyle 14 and Freestyle 15.

MBC I was really excited for, but didn't really enjoy the taproom all that much. A nice, new space, to be sure, but I think it just lacks a little personality, Especially visiting right after Oxbow. Still...can't argue w/ fresh Lunch.

Finally, Allagash tour on Thursay morning before the airport. Great tour, but was disappointed not to see the coolship! White, Curieux, Victoria and Prince Tuesday were pouring. Prince Tuesday is a beer I could drink a lot of.

So, all in all a great trip. Nearly everywhere we went, people were really outgoing, friendly, and excited to talk to out of towners, and recommend some great places.

My top 5 beers from the trip:

1. Prince Tuesday
    2. Lunch
    3. Funkhaus
    4. Loretta
    5. Ursa Minor

22. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Oxbow might be the coolest brewery in Maine to check out(no offense Allagash), the outdoor/rustic feel is amazing. Geoff and Tim are cool to hang out and have a beer with. Out of all the tours/breweries Ive visited, its def different and worth the time to stop in.

phingdong likes this.
  23. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Savant (395) Maine Apr 21, 2013

The only problem is Oxbow isn't near anything else. It's, what, a two hour drive from Portland? Still, I need to make my way up there soon.

24. But you can stop at the Lions Pride on the way back.

AndrewDeci likes this.
  25. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Savant (395) Maine Apr 21, 2013

Good call. Had 120 min on tap there last year. ;)

26. Brez07

It's about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Portland, but yeah... Not much else up there

27. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Cow Shit Corner sign.

Massbmx, Tidesox28 and theo871 like this.
  28. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (165) Maine May 22, 2012

Clearly you have no respect for oysters.:)

Tidesox28 likes this.