1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Visiting Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by deeblo, Aug 14, 2012.

1. deeblo

deeblo Member

I'll be taking a trip to Amsterdam August 23-27. Planning on checking out Arendsnest, Wildeman, Beer Temple, Brouwerij 't IJ, De Prael, De Bierkoning and taking a train to De Molen one of the days. Any other places I should definitely visit or any recommendations for non-beer activities/sights? Also, I'm familiar with De Molen, La Trappe, and Emelisse but what other Dutch breweries/beers should I look out for?

If anyone in the area is free, I'd definitely be interested in meeting up for a few beers or an in-person trade.
  2. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

Jopen is one of my personal favourites. They do cheap but very high-quality beer and are probably the biggest thing in Dutch craft at the mo. Their tasting room/restaurant is actually a church (!) in the city of Haarlem, not too far from Amsterdam. You can get most of their stuff from Bierkoning, but remember they can be quite expensive. Should also definitely pick up a few bottles of Duits & Lauret stout, that's a really good one. Other than that you seem to be ticking all the boxes there. Too bad I won't be free myself due to summer exams or I would have joined you in a heartbeat. Enjoy!

Some other breweries to look out for:

- Klein Duimpje
    - Breugems
    - De Zeven Deugden
    - Van Vollenhoven (their Extra Stout is something else!)
    - Ramses
    - Rooie Dop (currently they do a DIPA and an Double Oatmeal Stout, contract brews at De Molen)
    - Witte Klavervier (a brewery that does historical beer styles like Poorter and Hoppenbier)
    - SNAB
    - Texelse Bierbrouwerij
    azorie likes this.
  3. farundrpar

farundrpar Member

A couple other places in Amsterdam worth checking out if 't Arendsnest (my favorite by far - only Dutch brews - check out the fridge in back if looking for thier most rare stuff) and de Wildeman don't give you enough:

- De Zotte (Raamstraat 29) - near Leidseplein - touristy area that you will probably check out, so why not stop at this Belgium bar while there... area is touristy, but bar not bad and cool atmosphere. Good steaks and fries if you get there early enough (gets croweded later at night)

- Gollem (Overtoom 160) - Out of the center, but not that far. Off the NW side of Vondelpark if that is what you are looking for. There used to be a few of these in Amsterdam, but this is the last standing I believe.
    azorie likes this.
  4. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

De Schans is also pretty good, when they can be arsed to brew. Their brewery is just outside Amsterdam in Uithoorn. They don't have pub, but they do have a pretty good beer shop.

Oersoep is a brand new brewery that's getting some praise.

Here are a few pub suggestions:

Proeflokaal het Gemaal
    Flevopark 13,
    1095 KE Amsterdam.
    Tel: 06 40100909
    http://www.proeflokaalhetgemaal.nl/

Out east in the Flevopark, this is an oddity: a pub distillery. As well as excellent jenevers, they also have an obscure Czech beer, Konrad pils, on draught. Take the 7 or 14 tram to the terminus.

Het Ij Proeflokaal
    Funenkade 7,
    1018 AL Amsterdam.
    Tel. 020-622 8325

The tap of Amsterdam's oldest brewery. Lovely place on a warm afternoon.

De Ooievaar
    Sint Olofspoort 1,
    1012 AJ Amsterdam.
    Tel. 020-420 8004

Lovely, tiny old pub next close to Centraal Station. Has a beer specially brewed for them and a few other interesting things, plus a good selection of Wees jenevers.
  5. deeblo

deeblo Member

Thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully I'll have enough time to visit all these places while I'm there.

I've had Jopen Jacobus and Duits & Lauret Stout before and enjoyed them both. I don't think I've had anything from any of the other breweries so I'll definitely keep an eye out for them.