1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting BA seeks Portland BAs for bottle share!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by brystmar, Jul 11, 2012.

1. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

Greetings, PNW BAs! I'm flying out from NYC later this month and would love to meet some local BAs + share some bottles together one evening. I'll be in Portland the afternoon of Wednesday July 25th, flying home on a redeye at 10pm on Friday.

I plan on spending much of my time at Cascade & HotD, though I've been told BeerMongers has a more lenient policy regarding outside bottles. I'll defer this decision to you locals. :)

Who's interested? :D

2. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

The BeerMongers is perfect for bottle shares as long as:
    a) It's not on a Friday or Saturday evening.
    b) It's not during a special event.
    c) A BeerMonger opens the bottle for you.
    d) Out of courtesy please make a purchase and tip the barkeeps well.

It is one of the best places to have a share though. If I am available on the decided date and time I would love to try to meet up.

3. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I will try to make it as well

4. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Hey there :)

FYI, given your limited time in town, you should probably know that there's going to be a special event at HotD on the 26th, so if you want to visit them that evening is probably not a possibility. I suspect they will be open until 5ish during the day, though.

I can probably make it to a bottle share any of the days you're in town, although Weds is a little better for me than the alternatives.

5. Shmeal

What's at HotD on the 26th?

6. brystmar

Excellent! Item D goes without saying, I'd hope. A new shop opened here on the LES recently, and they love hosting our (rather large) tastings every few months. Because of this, I go out of my way to support them whenever possible.

Also looking to trade a few beers while I'm in town. Would really love a bottle of Fantasia (fingers crossed) with a secondary preference for stuff like Cherry AftW, AftW, Blend Love, Peche n' Brett, and more Fantasia. I've got the new Capt Lawrence sours in addition to what's in my cellar (linked on profile page), so BM if interested!

7. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I'd be down, assuming it happens this time.

8. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Yeah I want to know this too.

9. landhoney

landhoney Savant (300) Florida Apr 19, 2007

Can a Florida BA visiting at the exact same time bring some bottles to share as well?

I was going to post something similar but I will be in the Portland area pretty much at the exact same time, driving up from San Francisco though. I'll be happy to bring some great CCB beers to share.

10. landhoney

Should have my Cognac BA Church on a Hill, some Cucumber Saison, some HF stuff, and I'll see what else is lying around the cellar :)

11. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

I think there is a dinner with Sean Paxton on the 26th. Wendy is taking names for an email list. Initial word I got was that it will be a Belgian-themed dinner with Belgian bottles of beer (no HotD). $100/head. I was a bit disappointed that there won't be any HotD beers but if the last Paxton dinner was any indication, this will be worth it.

12. brystmar

Absolutely! CCB brews some fantastic beer. That's a serious drive btw...

Side note: I'm bringing a 12-shipper with me, but I expect it to be full going both directions already. I'll probably be stocking up on some Cascade sours + other trades to ship home. Is there a good place to buy shippers in the area?

13. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

There is a Portland Wine Storage that has some. I think the guy's name is Jim that owns it and he will sell you used shippers for just a couple dollars, or you can buy new ones for $16 or so I think. Its the Portland Wine Storage on SE 2nd and Ash St.

14. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

I am always up for a bottle share as well.

15. I got some Cantillon and other stuff burning a hole in my 1 box I brought up from SD. Just tell me where to bring it

16. Shmeal

My belly sir. I'll give you a bottle of KBS

17. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

Hey all.

We at the Beermongers would be a-ok with this. We would prefer if this was on Wednesday night (the 25th) for certain reasons.

If the organizers have any questions, feel free to beermail me.

Thanks & see you there!

Jim

ggfunk likes this.
  18. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I have a BCBS 09 I have been saving for a special occasion...

19. kscaldef

20. brystmar

Yeah, that should work. I arrive at 4:45pm, so after getting everything settled I can probably be down there by 7:30. Does Beermongers serve food? If so, I'm happy to spend my dinner money there before we drink.

21. kscaldef

Beermongers does not serve food, although you can bring food in from neighboring (or not) establishments.

22. goodbyeohio

if you are heading in at that time, you can stop at
    double dragon
    los gorditos
    both of which are less than 100 feet away, and you can bring your food in to the beermongers and eat it. i prefer DD, but check the menus!
    see you then! -jim

23. landhoney

I updated the spreadsheet, let me know what you guys think, don't want to bring stuff you've already had and/or are not interested in :)

24. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Will try to make this as well. If I'm able to make it, I'll bring along a Surly 5 and maybe something barrel aged from Allagash. Will have to see what looks interesting at Capone's and State Line this weekend.

25. Double Dragons food is so good!

I won't be back from my travels until after the share unfortunately. In a beer wasteland at the moment, Egypt. Drank a few sips of Sakkara Gold last night, should have been Sukkara Gold. At least Egyptian Stella isn't offensive.

26. Shmeal

Find me a non-offensive stella and I'll trade a chocolate rain for it

27. John_M

I know that a limited amount of DFH positive contact came into the area, but I got the impression the supply was very limited. Stores out here can't give it away at this point, so there's plenty around... should I bring some?

By the way brystmar... I have a fair number of shippers at home if you'd like me to bring some with me to beermongers. Just let me know...

28. brystmar

That'd be great! I'll have a better idea once we get closer to the actual date, but for now I'll probably need a single 12-shipper. More than happy to do the same for you if you're ever in NYC btw :)

29. John_M

Should be no problem. I'll bring a 12 ounce shipper to the beermongers event.

30. goodbyeohio

LOL @ 12 ounce shipper

brystmar likes this.
  31. John_M

ooops! Make that a 12 bottle shipper. Sigh.... clearly have spent way too much time at the Italian Craft Beer fest at Max's today.

32. The Egyptian Stella is even worse than the Belgian version. Your Chocolate Rain is extremely safe!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2430/27586

33. I do not have a beer cellar nor do i age beers. I simply pick up a variety case every time i visit Belmont Station...anyways. If anyone that is visiting can bring a bottle of DFH Positive Contact i would pay for this. Pdx has not gotten it, ive been calling/emailing and its all the same info, unk. Let me know!!! Cheers
    A-

34. John_M

I'll do my best. The beer is very available out here, but not right around where I live or work. However, I'll call around today... I might be able to stop by the Wine Source in town as well. Depending upon where I go to get it, figure that the cost (with tax) will be in the $14 to $15 range for a bottle. Let me know if that's OK for you (the price).

35. This still on?

36. kscaldef

As far as I know.

37. brystmar

Yep! Gathering my bottles as we speak.

Side note: can one of you locals advise me on the availability of Cascade Strawberry? I'd like to grab a few when I fly in, but I can have my buddy swing by this weekend if you think they'll sell out before then. Definitely don't want to miss out!

38. kscaldef

Hard to say, but they seem to be suggesting it's a pretty small run. It might still be around on Weds, but I think you'd be safer if someone can grab them for you this weekend.

39. landhoney

I'm at Russian River now, anybody want me to bring a growler of anything, you've got about 20-25 minutes for a request :)

40. landhoney

Happy Hops it is, it's not bottled so I thought that might be the best bet, see you all in a couple days