1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting British Columbia

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hrmhrm, Apr 10, 2013.

1. hrmhrm

hrmhrm Aficionado (115) California Aug 14, 2009

Best beers?
  2. Storm Brewing. Only available on draft or in kegs.

Also:

Parallel 49 (Vancouver)
    Driftwood (Victoria)
    Central City (Surrey)
    Howe Sound (Squamish)
    Coal Harbour (Vancouver)
    hrmhrm and Electros like this.
  3. hrmhrm likes this.
  4. More specifically, you should try out:

Parallel 49 beers:
    Gypsy Tears
    Lord of the Hops
    Hoparazzi
    From East Van With Love BA Imperial Stout (if there's any left - check the brewery, they're open until 9 p.m.)

Driftwood:
    Fat Tug (FATT TUGGGG)
    Belle Royale (if you can still find it - you might sadly be out of luck on this)
    Farmhand Saison

Central City
    Red Racer IPA (I've kinda fallen out of love with this beer over the years, but apparently people still go apeshit over it - I dunno; worth a try, I guess?)

Howe Sound
    uh.... their Nut Brown's pretty good, I guess? Worth trying once or twice. It's the beer I always end up buying from them. Their stouts are also pretty decent, I guess. Don't go for their IPAs, they're pretty malty.

Coal Harbour
    Their Imperial Smoked Ale is pretty damn badass. At least it was two out of the three times I've had it. I think the last batch I had was a bit off. Would definitely have it again, though.
    Their English IPA is also probably one of the better beers I've had in that style (and I'm not a huge English IPA fan)

In addition to the above breweries, you should check out the following:

Tofino Brewing Hoppin Cretin IPA - probably tied with Fat Tug as the best West Coast IPA brewed in BC (as far as I know)

Phillips Hoperation Tripel Cross - amazing hops pun notwithstanding, this beer is really damn good if you can score a fresh bottle. Actually, even when it's not fresh it's still pretty good, but starts tasting more like a tripel and less like a Belgian IPA. The hop profile in it is pretty gorgeous. Really easy drinking for 8% ABV.

Lighthouse Belgian Black - probably one of the best stouts I've had, Canadian or otherwise. Actually I guess I can't really say that because I've had a lot of amazing stouts. I'll clarify by saying it's one of the best non-BA stouts I've had. Really interesting mix of imperial stout and Belgian yeast. The bottle is pretty badass looking, too. Brewery Creek should still have some bottles left.

Eh. I think that's everything that would probably impress you, seeing as you're from California. Other stuff to check out if you have money to burn: Cannery Brewing Naramata Nut Brown, Lighthouse Tasman Ale, Lighthouse Switchback IPA (I think I might like this better than Central City IPA), St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Cannery Brewing Maple Stout, Spinnaker's Nut Brown, Powell Street Brewing Hopdemonium IPA... I dunno. That's about all the beers I can think of off the top of my head.

Depending on when you're in BC, you might wanna check out whatever seasonals Lighthouse and Driftwood release; chances are they're anywhere from really good to mind-blowing.
    hrmhrm likes this.
  5. Godot613

Godot613 Aspirant (40) Texas Oct 16, 2011

What is available in Victoria? I'll be there in about a week.
  6. Pretty much everything mentioned by Smekermann is available in Victoria. Check out Hillside Liquors for best price/selection, the Strathcona Liquor store has a great selection too. Most of the breweries do growler fills these days and are worth stopping by (Phillips, Driftwood, Lighthouse, Hoyne, VIB). If you find any of Driftwood Singularity (RIS), grab it, it is especially good this year.
    Rutager likes this.
  7. 5 Breweries (Driftwood , Phillip's , Lighthouse , Hoyne , Vancouver Is.)
    &
    4 Brewpubs (Spinnakers , Swans , Moon Under Water , & Canoe)
    to choose from when a 'growler' is your choice of drink

Definately check out Hillside Liquor Store for best bottle price/selection ,

personal local favourite that can be still be found Lighthouse 'Belgian Black' an awesome BSDA that should be cellared , and good luck with Driftwoods 'Singularity' rare to find in Victoria these days
  8. Just go to Garrick's Head and do your best to sample all of the locals that are on their tap list (44 beers strong).
  9. I saw lots of Belle Royale around Vancouver when I was there last weekend.
  10. I could definitely be wrong about this, but I feel like I saw Singularity last time I was at the Strath.

Should be able to get Clodhopper now too.
  11. Belle is gone from the popular stores but can still be had, and is worth it IMO. I love it. Singularity is sparsely around but takes a lot more digging.
  12. Driftwood just released a new seasonal yesterday, a local malt dubbel Clodhopper.