1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Carlsbad from North Dakota

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by GFG, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Hey guys, BA from North Dakota here. I'll be visiting Carlsbad from March 11-15 and was hoping I could get some insight from the people around there that know the scene well. Obviously I'll be visiting Pizza Port. Anywhere else worth visiting or any beers I should attempt to pick up at a local shop during that time? Thanks in advance.
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Texas Wine has a good selection, but they're a bit spendy. Up the street from Pizza Port. PP has their own bottle shop but they've had licensing issues so I'm not sure if you can get bottles to go.

As far as breweries to visit, you're pretty close to the 78 corridor which is home to a bunch of different breweries including Port/Lost Abbey, Stone and a bunch of others. Check this page out for more info:

http://ncsdbeer.com/

Have fun. Carlsbad is one of my favorite places.
  3. bradybeer

bradybeer Savant (455) California Aug 9, 2005

ryno09 likes this.
  4. Avalon

Avalon Aspirant (45) California Jun 26, 2011

Churchill's in San Marcos is often worth a trip too. They will have just had their Renaissance thing the week prior to that, so could be some good "leftovers."

Stone now has a taproom in Oceanside, just north of where you'll be. The grounds of the Escondido Stone are gorgeous & they have a great selection of beers on tap as well as bottles, but the food is eh, and kind of pricey. Oceanside one you can bring food in & chill with Stone beer (this location only carries Stone beer). Fantastic giant burritos are near this location & 2 blocks from beach. Oh, and bottles to go. Their standard ones as well as special releases :)

My favorite in N. San diego county is Lost Abbey. The beer, atmosphere, people, all of it. Often there are food trucks in the evening, or you can bring your own food/snacks. Good bottles to buy to drink there or to go :)
  5. rmaste6282

rmaste6282 Savant (380) California Apr 30, 2009

PP Bottleshop is back to normal (mostly). Now the beers you drink onsite are from a specific menu and a separate cooler, and the coolers inside are to go only.
    jtmartino likes this.
  6. rmaste6282

I'd suggest picking up a 12 pack (or two) bottle shippers and send yourself beer before you leave so you don't have to try everything while you are here.
    GFG and ryno09 like this.
  7. GFG

Haha this is a great suggestion. We don't get many California beers in North Dakota. Basically just SN. Never done that though, where can I buy bottle shippers?
  8. GFG

At this time does anyone know if there will be any good specialty/seasonal beers available in CA during that time that I need to check out? Like I said, I haven't had many beers from CA because they don't distribute in my area for the most part so any recommendation would be great.
  9. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

Definitely check their website for places and events. It's constantly updated. Check back closer to your arrival to see what events are going on that month.
  10. rmaste6282

Bevmo has shippers, and Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido.
  11. I live 3 miles from PP Carlsbad, just moved here in October. While it doesn't seem to get much love here on BA, I also really enjoy Breakwater Brewing in Oceanside, its 2 blocks from the Stone Oceanside store, they don't bottle. I like there DMJ IPA and the owner was incredibly nice when we met him.
  12. GFG

Might have to check that one out too.