1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Chicago this week. Chances on finding Zombie Dust? Also good bars in Area

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Shmuffalo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I'll be staying downtown on Wabash near the Trump. I won't have a car, so I was wondering the chances of being able to get ahold of some zombie dust in the nearby area. I know next to nil about Three Floyds distribution and Chicago beer stores.

Also, if you guys have any recommendations for good bars in the area, I'd really really appreciate it. I'll be in town with my dad Friday-Monday, seeing the Blackhawks on Sunday.
  2. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Shmuffalo likes this.
  3. Except that the OP was pretty clear about not having a car. It would be more like 9 hours (by foot) or 2.5 hours (by bike); I guess the OP could also hire a car service. I have been able to reliably get ZD from the River North Binnys most weeks (often at the Gold Goast Whole Foods, too). I don't think Binnys/Whole Foods, in the city, really get anything other than ZD these days (bombers notwithstanding). You just have to get there on delivery days, or maybe the day after.
    Shmuffalo likes this.
  4. Shmuffalo

Thanks guys. I called Warehouse Liquors to see if I could purchase over the phone then pick up friday, but they said no. So here's to hoping they have some left this Friday.
  5. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Warehouse is a good bet if you're downtown. They also are one of the best beer shops in the city that (for some reason) no one seems to talk about. Probably because it's downtown.
  6. Shmuffalo

Yeah I was there last year. Its a pretty awesome shop, but the woman I spoke to on the phone was kind of rude. She hung up on me twice lol. I'm not so sure it was intentional, but whatever. I'd love to land a 6 pack.
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Since you don't have a car, and are going to be around Warehouse, waltz over to Printers Row a few blocks away. And typically I walk across the bridge to the South Loop Binny's where you can check out there nice selection and get a beer after the walk.
    After that there is a Red Line stop not far, that you can take up to Piece, Revolution, Map Room. No vehicle needed.
  8. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

If you end up not finding it there, let me know and I can see if my normal shop has it. They are expecting a shipment this week.
  9. Shmuffalo

Great, thanks for all the info, guys!
  10. jakeox

jakeox Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 15, 2012

For what it's worth, Warehouse has never not had ZD when I've looked. They're much better in person than over the phone. (Probably true of most shops.)
  11. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

I understood about the car but just trying to make things relative. He's going to using Taxis most likely for most of the weekend. I sure wouldn't walk to the UC from where he is staying..
  12. Hey, if you're on Wabash near the Trump, you should walk to Bockwinkel's Market and see if they have any ZD. They usually have a few different 6'ers of FFF products (Alpha King, Gumball Head, etc) and they also carry the 22oz bombers from FFF.

http://www.bockwinkels.com/

Also check out the Walgreen's on State and Randolph.....you'd be surprised what they carry! I've seen BCBS, Madame Rose, Night Stalker and Big John all sitting on the shelf there.
    weakness33 likes this.
  13. Shmuffalo

Sweet, that sounds awesome! Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Magneto. I'm really looking forward to the trip! And I agree, Jakebox. I figured it was a longshot they'd let me pay over the phone. House of 1000 Beers, just outside of Pittsburgh, let me pay over the phone to snag a bottle of Black Note, but I know thats not the norm.

Anyways, glad to see there are so many spots that have the possibility to have it in stock.
  14. no problem. I work just around the corner from Bockwinkels. I was in there on Friday and they probably had 12 bottles of FFF Behemoth on the shelf, along with Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught.
  15. Behemoth is a damn fine beer grab it if you can....
  16. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I went to 3floyds yesterday and grabbed a case of Zombie Dust. Hit me up if don't find any. Cheers!
  17. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Except for last Friday, the South Loop Binny's has gotten Zombie Dust on every Friday for at least a month.
  18. Shmuffalo

Looks like distribution may be ceasing for a while. I've called all the places mentioned, and it's all gone. Bah!
  19. Noble grape usually has 6 packs.
  20. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

ahh rats, I was hoping this thread was sarcastic
  21. Shmuffalo

I got some at Capones. Thanks for all the help everyone.