Scandinavia Visiting Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TallSaint, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TallSaint

TallSaint Savant (335) New York Dec 10, 2010

Hello Scandinavian BAs!

I'm going to be visiting Copenhagen and I was wondering what recommendations you guys would have for any beer that I need to get. I will obviously be going to Ølbutikken and hopefully finding some Blabær. Any other suggestions/places to visit would also be appreciated (beer related and non-beer related).

Thank you!

2. Nightfall

Nightfall Aficionado (160) Greece Aug 16, 2006

Hi,

I am not scandinavian but had my share of visits at Copenhagen (and Denmark in general), as the borders are less than a 2 hour drive.

Regarding Ølbutikken : This is the current lineup : http://www.olbutikken.dk/Beers.aspx , don't select anything and press Fin din Øl. It will show you every beer currently on stock.
    Blabaer could be still available for drink at the premises only (175 DKK = 30 USD for the 375ml bottle). *

All the suggestions here : http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/denmark-bas.25494/ are pretty valid

Depending on how many days you are staying you can also consider taking the ferry (35 min.) to Malmo, and hit Bishops Arm (And while you are there the The Green Lion Inn as well).

Copenhagen is very beautiful, has great restaurants as well, if you have kids visit the Tivoli. It is also expensive (by most european and american standards, Sweden even more). Beerwise it is a paradise. Consider writing on RB as most of the danish crew are there so that you can arrange meetings, IP trades etc.

Have fun and enjoy !
    Cheers,

Alex

* If Olbutikken is out of Blabaer , then you might find some on Mikkeller Bar (previous vintages too) but more expensive.

3. Whoah! Not the ferry! There isn't any ferry route between Malmö and Copenhagen, and hasn't been for 12 years :p You take the train. (if you also buy your ticket at the Skånetrafiken-machines and not the danish DSB-machines you can ride a whole family on a duo-ticket that costs 75% of two adult tickets).

Also yeah, forgot about the Blåbær drink-in at Ølbutikken.

4. Nightfall

Nightfall Aficionado (160) Greece Aug 16, 2006

Sorry I meant the train :)

5. I'm pretty sure I got the last Blåbær back in September. I enjoyed Belgisk Bryg a lot but it was only open on saturday 1-3. Barleywine was a cool shop too and I heard good things about toft vin but didn't make it. For bars Mikkeller Bar was great; I got a bottle of bcbvs for 35 bucks which I thought was very fair. Den Tatoverede Enke had a really good tap and bottle list too!

6. TallSaint

TallSaint Savant (335) New York Dec 10, 2010

Thank you so much guys! You are awesome.

7. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (455) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

If you're into good food and don't mind spending a hundred quid on an amazing meal with wine pairings, I'd highly suggest seeing Colin and Marie-Anne at Restaurant Godt.

I've eaten at several Michelin 1-3 star rated restaurants, but this place (which was formerly 1 star rated) served the best meal I've ever had.

8. Yeah... Post on Ratebeer. More Danes on that site and the ones that I have met have been real cool.

9. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Aficionado (160) Virginia Feb 18, 2011

Bumping this thread as I might be visiting in September this year.

On the off chance of finding Blabær - are there any place I could have this shipped home for a relatively good price? Ølbutikken mentioned the post office but do they have shipping supplies (IE bubble wrap / boxes)?

Any good beer bar recommendations?

Thanks!

10. Can't pack it in checked luggage?

11. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Aficionado (160) Virginia Feb 18, 2011

We are doing Copenhagen early in a 2+ week trip so I don't want to be carrying it around the entire time - not to mention we will be doing at least one flight if not more before returning home so it could become a hassle.

Plus I already have plans for a long layover in Brussels on the way home so I want to have my bags with me so I can fill them up with beer and re-check them. Already having the bags checked would defeat this purpose. Might be able to convince my friend to put it in his bags though....

I'd be happy to bring some US beer for any locals that want to help out *hint hint* ;)

12. Can't recommend it. There is bubble wrap and boxes at post offices, but shipping is seriously expensive. If you can keep it under 2 kg you can send it as a "letter" for $35 (but without tracking), if above that you're paying at least $75. Seems stupid for one bottle.

But this will probably not matter as Blåbær will be sold out almost immediately.

13. Any idea what 2-4 bottles would cost to have shipped to the US?

14. Raspor

Raspor Zealot (80) Sweden Feb 21, 2012

Mikkeller Bar
    Mikkeller & Friends
    for the mikkeller bars you can check mikkeller.dk and find out was is on tap
    Fermentoren
    just furthur down the street from Fermentoren you can find KIHOSKH and corner store with a great beer selction

15. Raspor

one bottle is about 1.6 kg so from $75 and up
    you can check http://www.postdanmark.dk, using chrome

Jnorton00 likes this.
  16. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Champion (835) Sweden Jan 31, 2011

I guess it is a better way to find someone to make an IP trade with, beacuse people are standing in line to get this beer and it is sold out on two days.

The drink in lasted for about a week or two last year.

17. When was it released last year? I got the last bottle I believe for drink in on September 8th.

18. Raspor

last years release was on 23 of june

Jnorton00 likes this.
  19. olradetbalder

I think something went wrong. just lite the Zwanze and van Roy did not want to send out a bad product on the market. So I guess that everything has been post poned.

Hehe, maybe they got an infection?

20. Bumping this. Will be in Copenhagen for a week, April 16 - 23. Would love to set up either some in-person trades or tastings. I can bring Cigar City, Hill Farmstead, other east coast distribution. I'm hoping somehow to be able to at least try Blabaer while there! And definitely plan on spending some time at Fermentoren. Cheers!

21. olradetbalder

22. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (145) California Aug 19, 2011

Thanks for that tip. I'll be staying 450m from there on Borgergade (according to Google maps) in early June.

23. Raspor

Blabaer might be on the botle list on either on mikkeller bar or mikkelller & friends

miamichael2 likes this.
  24. Heading to Copenhagen myself next month but after the beer fest. Any good bars/shops that are must visits besides Mikkeller and Olbuttiken?

25. Raspor

Mikropilis newly openend
    https://www.facebook.com/MikropolisBar

KIHOSKH corner store with an exelent beer selection on the street as Fermentoren
    http://kihoskh.dk

Fermentoren a nice beer with a nice feeling

BarleyWine
    http://barleywine.dk/

also on the same street as mikkeller in vesterbro there is a small shop selling mostly scandinavian beers, can´t remember what´s called now

26. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

It is Den Nordiske Olhandel. Nice shop, nice owner, nice selection and ok prices. Some of beers could be very old though.

Copenhagen is really nice city. I really look forward to CBC.

Cheers!

27. Raspor

could be, I just rember that´s on the same streets as mikkeller bar and got Nøgne Ø flag out when theire open

28. mortsto

mortsto Initiate (5) Apr 28, 2014

I´m going to Copenhagen Airport for a meeting. I´m unable to get in to the city at this trip, so I wonder whether I can get some quality beers at the taxfree at the airport? I was there a few years ago, and then I only noticed Tuborg and Carlsberg.

29. olradetbalder

No man, that is one bad airport to buy beer in.

miamichael2 likes this.