1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Different Breweries

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by SStein, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SStein

SStein Savant (350) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

I am new to this region, and have now that I am settled I am going to start touring breweries. This weekend my wife, daughter and I are looking to head out towards Brouwerij De Ranke, St. Bernardus, In de Vrede, De Struise, and De Dolle. We are looking to stop at the In Flander's Fields musuem while out that way. With this trip planned we decided that it may be too much to hit up in one trip so we are looking at making multiple trips (not a big deal as we live outside of Mons). Which breweries would you hit up? Are there other breweries in that area you would stop at? I am not as concerned with In De Vrede as I have some Westvleteren at the house. I am also planning trips to other locations.
  2. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

You have some nice ones picked out already--multiple trips is ideal. If you are into sours, Drie Fonteinen (nice restaurant attached) and Cantillon are must-do's (and now try Tilquin's Gueuzerie...). Fantôme in Soy is a nice stop too...as long as they are open. Visiting the monastery at Rochefort was also a highlight for me when I lived in Mons. Chimay's a cool stop too (also with a restaurant/gift shop). Wish I made it to Orval.
  3. SStein

I have already been to Cantillion and am planning a trip to go back and then to Drie Founteinen. I am working on planning a trip to do Fantôme, Rochefort, Chimay and Orval.
  4. I really want to checkout Drie Founteinen but it appears they are only open on the weekends.
  5. SStein

Fri and Sats. I am actually looking at going there and then Cantillon next Fri.
  6. If you go to Drie Founteinen, ask about Oud Beersel, too. I'd also recommend Caracole nearish Namur as a great little place that you can see in 5 minutes, and then taste for a good while. You're also close to Pipaix for the monthly brewery visit and lunch at Vapeur, an absolute pilgrimage in my mind.