Visiting Iowa next month. Cedar Rapids, ottumwa. What to do?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by thisisforever, May 14, 2014.

1. Next month, I'll be driving through Cedar Rapids on my way to ottumwa to visit a friend.
    Wanted to see if there were any beer spots I should check out on the way there/back.

Not interested in trying anything on tap since I have to drive, but I wouldn't mind stopping at a brewery for growlers or something. Bottle shops are probably my main interest.

What are some breweries I should look into? TG for sure, and I'm hoping I can set up a trade for assassin/md.
    Anything I should keep an eye out for? I'll be there June 11-14

Also, I'd like to set up an IP trade or two if anyone is interested. I'll update this thread and post one in the ft:ip forum once I take inventory of my cellar, but I have access to the typical chicago selection.

2. Lion Bridge Brewery just opened up and has some decent beers to go in growlers, just depends what day of the week you are in town

thisisforever and wspanic201 like this.
  3. OnIowa

OnIowa Aficionado (195) Iowa May 31, 2011

Big Grove Brewing in Solon has some very nice selections and has growlers available to go. The food is good, too. You can also get growlers filled at Red's Alehouse in North Liberty.

As for Ottumwa, yeah, good luck. Take what you want with you down there. It's the asshole of Iowa. I doubt you can find anything craftier than Shock Top or Blue Moon down there.

HawkeyePA and thisisforever like this.
  4. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (365) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

If you're looking for any bottles, stop at the Hyvee on Oakland Rd. It's only a mile or so off of 380 and they have a really great bottle selection. If you do go to Lion Bridge, you also won't be too far from Benz, another great bottle shop (although I prefer Hyvee, but they seem to have a little more rare stuff on hand).