1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Knoxville

Discussion in 'US - South' started by cmannes, Nov 5, 2012.

1. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Okay, I'm headed from MN to Knoxville for Thanksgiving with the extended Family.

While I'm sure I can pack a few beers to sustain me, what is there to see/drink in Knoxville?

I'd especially love to see what I can find that I can't get back in MN.

Thanks!

2. Saw Works Brewery is located in Knoxville. I've never had anything from them, nor do I know if they bottle/can. A distributor I talk to regularly speaks highly of them though.

You can probably get Yazoo in Knoxville, they're based out of Nashville and make some decent stuff. Grab a bottle of Sue--my favorite offering of theirs.

3. rangerred

rangerred Savant (420) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

Never been there but Bearden Beer Market is supposed to be a really good place. They do growlers I believe. As far as beers, you should have a decent selection of things you can't get in MN. Check out brews from Highland, Foothills, Duck Rabbit, Terrapin, and Sweetwater. Be aware that in TN, beers over 6.2% abv must be sold in a liquor store. Anything below that is available in grocery stores, gas stations, etc. McScrooge's has a decent high gravity selection from what I remember.

If you have time Asheville, NC is only about 90 minutes away and is one of the best, if not the best, beer cities in the US.

4. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Awesome, Thank you both!

5. GMan

GMan Savant (310) Tennessee Apr 16, 2012

I really like the Downtown Grill and Brewery for some pretty good food and on-site brewed beer. Sort of more "English" type hopping in their ales, and a darn good porter. Also, at either location of the Casual Pint, you can enjoy a really good selection on tap or for take home.

6. sansho

sansho Savant (380) California Jul 16, 2011

I am currently a student here in Knoxville at UT so I've gotten a good handle of what's what.
    For buying beers, as stated before you have two sets of stores. Anything over 6.3% is sold in liquor stores. The two best stores for selection and price is McScrooges which is in West Knox and East End Liquors which is in East Knox. East End is a little cheaper on some things, but the selection is bigger at McScrooges.
    For lower gravity beer it's sold everywhere else. The best selection would be at Bearden Beer Market, with Casual Pint following. Both of those places do growler fills and are sell beer to drink on premise.

Saw Works Brewery and Downtown Grill and Brewery are both pretty good places for locally brewed beer, but nothing AMAZING.

My personal favorite drinking establishment is Sunspot, but I am little biased since I can walk there. They are located right in heart of UT chaos. But they have a great selection of brews (30 taps) and some really good food.

For breweries you don't get up in MN, I would suggest Sweetwater (their IPA is one of my favorites), Highland makes some solid brews, Foothills, Yazoo, Duck-Rabbit, Terrapin.

7. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Check out Suttree down off of Gay St, right across from Downtown Grill and Brewery. It's pretty solid for Knoxville, and they are (last time I was there over the summer) the only place that allows high gravity beer on tap. If you're over in West Knoxville or Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, you can give Smokey Mountain Grill and Brewery a try. Their Appalachian Pale Ale is pretty decent. Everyone else that posted has pretty solid bottle selections, though I doubt you will be able to find Sue (I tried to convince McScrooge's and Farragut Wine and Spirits to get them, never heard back). For an English pub vibe (warning, smoking inside), you can visit Union Jack's or Green Hill's.

Get pizza from Hard Knox if you like wood-fired. Trust me.