1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Memphis 4/26 to 4/30. Anything special to look out for?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by bushycook, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

I'll be chilling on Beale St. for a few days. Anything I shouldn't miss craft beer wise besides Flying Saucer? What BBQ joints have the best beer selections?
  2. Not many of the BBQ are really known for their beers. Silky O'Sullivan's on Beale has the typical craft lineup and some decent BBQ dishes. Nothing special. Great atmosphere, though. I would look around midtown Memphis as well. It's funny. I grew up there but can't think of anywhere that has both good BBQ and good beer. Young Ave. Deli has good food and a good lineup as well. It's at the corner of Cooper St. And Young Ave. in midtown. Also, Bosco's in midtown is really good. Beale St. is fun, but midtown is where more of the locals go for relaxed bars and good food.
  3. Most BBQ spots on Beale St. have a small selection of craft/local beer. I go up to Memphis a few times a year and always have a hard time finding a place with good food and good beer.
  4. Most of us just go to either of the Flying Saucer locations or some of the midtown bars. I am a Flying Saucer fan myself. Tennessee's distribution laws keep us from getting some really good beers that neighboring states get, so there isn't much of an established beer culture in Memphis.
  5. TN alcohol laws are horrible. You could hit up Boscos, I forgot about that place. They have good food and good beer. They brew their own.