1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Visiting New Orleans from MN

Discussion in 'US - South' started by mjchapley, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Hi All,

My co-worker and I are going to be down in New Orleans at the end of the month (Nov.28th-Dec. 1st) for a business trip and are looking to see if anyone would like to meet up and trade some beers.

We have access to a lot of local beers and also have some beers in the cellar we can bring down. Some beers that might be of interest:

Surly Syx
    Darkness 2012
    Surly Abrasive (Comes out later this week but shouldn't have a problem getting any)

We have some limited room on what we can bring down due to weight and space limits on flying but shoot me a message if you interested in something.

We are really interested in sours and local stuff we can't get up here in MN. From what I have seen Cantillon is fairly accessible down there and we would love to trade for some of that if possible.

Cheers,

Mike

2. Also, we will have limited ability to travel very far but we are staying about a mile and a half from the Avenue Pub which we plan on going to I would assume more than once!

3. I'm definitely interested in what you are offering, but not sure if I can make you happy with much in return! LOL.

I'm in Baton Rouge. I'm not sure if Cantillon is "fairly accessible" in LA, but I got a bottle recently from Calandro's here that specially allocated it to regular customers. I don't know if anything from that shipment ever even made it to the shelves.

I'm not sure what sours you can get in MN, but I have bottles of Cuvee Renee and Hansens Oude Gueze I'd be willing to part with. I've also got a couple cans of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy also. That's probably about it that you couldn't get in MN. There are probably others with better trade bait!

As far as local beers, you should be able to find most of what Louisiana has to offer in New Orleans. Abita is the most popular, but NOLA Brewing puts on the best stuff. You should be able to find their new double IPA, Mechahopzilla, on tap. Their regular IPA, Hopitoulas, is pretty solid and just recently became available in cans. Try Canebrake from Parish Brewing on tap. Tin Roof beers are mediocre. Their last offering, Parade Ground Porter, is probably their best, but still nothing special. Timber Beast (a rye IPA) is the only thing I recommend from Lazy Magnolia, but it is great. Honestly, the local craft beer selection is lagging behind a lot of the country. We just recently got Green Flash, which has been a great addition.

You definitely found the right place with Avenue Pub. Are you going to Zwanze day on December 1st? The pub does a big celebration. Stein's is a good place for buying beer to take home with you.

I hope New Orleans treats you well. Let me know if you need any food recommendations.

4. Thanks for all the info on the local brews! We are excited to go down there and check some of these out. And no we won't be attending Zwanze Day's. I found out about this after we had out trip all booked up, I wish we were going. I talked the the manager at the Avenue Pub and she said they will have a number of Cantillons available when we are down there. I also plan on sending Stein's an e-mail to see if they will be receiving anything special that week.

I'd be interested in the Cantillon you got from Calandro's depending on what it is. We recently got a shipment of there classic gueuze which I was able to get a bottle of that. So if you have something different I would be open to that. Otherwise, like you said it might be hard to come to an even trade.

Cheers,

Mike

5. My bottle of Cantillon is gone. It was the classic gueuze. I'd never tried it before so I was anxious to consume.

Let me know what you hear from Stein's because I will in be in New Orleans on December 1 for Zwanze Day.