1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

visiting oregon and washington area

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by timdog44, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hello - we are doing a bit of a road trip to the area and plan on spending a good chunk of the time in Portland. I know there are already a couple posts about portland and what beer locations to check out there so I wont ask that here. We are also going up to Long Beach Washington and are willing to drive around the 2 states a bit to see the sites. are there any must-see beer-related locations I should be checking out in these area? Is it worth it to make the trip to Bend to get a tour of the Deschutes brewery?

2. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Bend may be worth a trip. You can hit both Deschutes and Boneyard. Boneyard has quickly become one of my favorite OR breweries. The Hop Venom is up there with all the great DIPAs in my opinion.

http://www.boneyardbeer.com/boneyardbeer/BREWERY.html

You may also want to check out Block 15 in Corvallis, about 1.5 hours south of Portland. Corvallis itself is a cute town and Block 15 is doing some great beers that you rarely see in Portland (well, they show up but they're gone quickly):

http://block15.com/

You can also check out Les Caves next door to Block 15 for some nice taps and a really great (and reasonable priced) bottle list. If you go to Les Caves get a bottle of Super Nebula from Block 15. Probably one of my top five beers and they still have some bottles you can drink there. They're $17, which is only a $2 mark-up from the price they were going for at the brewery:

http://www.biercaves.com/

On the coast Fort George in Astoria is worth a stop. I love their Vortex IPA and they have a bunch of limited stuff on tap at the brewery:

http://www.fortgeorgebrewery.com/

Of course there are a million great places in OR but these are my favorites outside of those in/around Portland.

3. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Bend is certainly worth a visit. In fact, the big Deschutes brewery is still on my get to list, because everytime I'm there, I find too much other great beer. Boneyard, Bend Brewing, Silver Moon and Deschutes Bond Street Pub are are worth checking out before the big brewery. 10 Barrel should be opening in their new location soon. IIRC, there are 10-12 breweries operating in Bend, with another 3-6 in the pipeline.

There's not much on the Washington coast, beer-wise. A visit to Fort George and Astoria Brewing are worth it if you head to Astoria. I'd suggest a trip out to the Gorge (which you could do as part of a Bend trip). Walking Man in Stevenson, WA and Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon, WA are out Rt. 14. Then go across the bridge into Hood River and hit Double Mountain, Big Horse and Full Sail's tasting room. Josh Pfriem should have his new Belgian-style brewery open sometime this summer as well, so you might be able to catch that.

If you drive up to the Olympic Peninsula there are several worthy beer stops up there, and once you're in the South Sound region there's more beer than you'll be able to drink. Enjoy your trip!

4. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Cascade, HotD and Green Dragon! Get drunk and stay in a local hotel:) they are all within walking distance of each other!!!!

5. cool thanks for all the info guys! ok, so what about non-beer related stuff for the wife? we will want to see the coast.. is astoria nice? whats the best coastal town in the area?

6. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Astoria is alright. You can see the Goonies house there. Newport has Rogue which is meh...but has a spot called Bier One which is a decent taproom. I only visit Newport of the Seafood and Wine Festival. Pacific City has Pelican Brewery which brews incredible beer. It's wedged between Lincoln City and Tillamook which are both fairly cool towns.

7. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Tillamook has a neat little aviation museum, in an old blimp hangar, if that interests you. You can also tour the Tillamook Diary factory and check out their various goods. Lincoln City and Seaside are both too touristy for my taste, but strokes for folks. Just the drive down the coast is cool, and if you find yourself anywhere near there, then a visit to Pelican is certainly in order.