1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN.

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Texas_Speed, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

The wife and I are taking a road trip from Houston to Pigeon Forge the first of October. We will be there for about 4 days and I wanted to gets some advise on things to do and beers to try while I'm in TN. I have read some of the other threads regarding trips to Nashville and saw the recommendations for Yazoo, Blackstone, Jackalope, and Cool Springs but didn't know if those will be available in Pigeon Forge. I'm sure there are plenty beers that I cannot get in Texas and I would love to try and get my hands on some of those so I can try them out. I know there is a lot to do and see in Gatlinburg but if anyone has any knowledge or previous experience on must see or do things it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

No doubt you will be going through Knoxville on your way in to PF. I'm not terribly familiar with K'ville, but the directory has a few relatively well-ranked stores there. I'd search through them first.

3. Texas_Speed

Will do thanks for the heads up.

4. Slabrat

Slabrat Zealot (95) Kentucky Apr 9, 2009

Pigeon Forge is a retail nightmare.Outlet malls everywhere, Very crowded on the weekend. traffic is bad. However in Gatlinburg (traffic bad there too) there is the Smoky Mountain Brewery. Not too bad, Make some ok beer. They have burgers, pizza, wings etc.
    The Mellow Mushroom is good also in G-burg. They usually have Sweetwater and some other pretty good selections.I have never found good food in Pigeon Forge. Except maybe the Apple Barn. They have wine now I hear.
    Agreement with jmw Knoxville is best bet for bottles.

5. Texas_Speed

@Slabrat, thanks for the information. I had read that traffic can be horrible, especially during the high tourist season. I'm taking the wife so she can photograph the changing of the seasons but I still need to find something for me also. I may have to check out the Brewery just so I can say I did it. I've never been to TN so trying to come up with some ideas.

6. rangerred

rangerred Savant (415) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

Be aware that in TN, beer over 6.2% abv is restricted to liquor stores. I think Gatlinburg has a couple liquor stores although I'm not sure what the selection is like. If you do make a stop in Knoxville, McScrooge's is pretty decent.

7. jmw

DAMN GOOD CATCH there buccaneer! I had totally forgotten about that and it is very important for Texas_Speed to know.

8. Not sure if you would be willing to drive any further, but Asheville NC is only about 1.5 hours from where you are and that is a gem of a beer town. I live about 20 minutes away and I love visiting when I can. I recommend it strongly. Thirsty Monk, Barleys, Jack Of The Wood, LAB, etc have tons of great beers on tap. Bruisin Ales is a beer specialty shop that is ranked highly worldwide. just an idea.

As far as Gatlinburg there isn't much in the way of great craft beers. Smokey Mountain Brewery is nothing to write home about.

9. Texas_Speed

I think I may have to plan at least one trip to Knoxville to take my wife to dinner and see what Knoxville has to offer. I didn't know that about the restrictions on beers, so thank you.

10. Texas_Speed

Thanks for the idea. It is already going to be a 16hr drive so I don't mind another 1.5hrs. I think I'm going to have to talk my wife into this one.

11. jmw

If you visit Asheville, I would spend my shopping time at Appalachian Vintner instead of Bruisin' Ales. Less expensive, more expansive, and you can enjoy a good local from their taps while you walk around deciding what to buy. Great shop.

MontpelierArtie likes this.
  12. GMan

GMan Savant (300) Tennessee Apr 16, 2012

I live in Sevierville, right next to Pigeon Forge, and I second the advise to make the trip to Asheville. You can get some of the area beers at the local Krogers or Food City, but nothing to write home about. As mentioned, in Knoxville, McScrooges is good. I also like the Bearden Beer Garden and the Casual Pint for a good selection to pack in to Pigeon Forge with you. This is a great place to live and to visit, but you had best bring some good beer with you.

Photekut likes this.
  13. Texas_Speed

Thanks for advise guys. I'm definitely going to be taking a drive into Asheville to try and get my hands on some bottles. I really appreciate the advise and the help.

14. Slabrat

Slabrat Zealot (95) Kentucky Apr 9, 2009

If you are there on a weekend get up and go into the park before daylight drive and/or Hike to a high point for some real season change. Clingmans dome is the high point you can drive to. Traffic will be much lighter early. In the evening you could be waiting in a line of traffic to get back in to town if its getting close to meal time :). It's manageable but very busy.
    +1 for Asheville. Lots of scenery around there as well as beer!

We go to the quiet side of the Smokies in Townsend. Not much there but less busy. Many good hikes and a nice bike trail there. No beer a few restaurants nothing to get excited about. Rooms are less expensive.
    Have fun!!

15. Texas_Speed

Good call on Clingmans dome. That is exactly the kind of thing my wife and I are looking to do. I'm definitely looking into taking some scenic drives and some hiking. Y'all have really been a big help and it is greatly appreciated.

16. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

If your trip will take you through or near Chattanooga, TN, they do call it the Scenic City for a reason. Some nice attractions up on Lookout Mountain. I like Point Park...quiet and laid back and some wonderful views of the area. Nice Aquarium in downtown Chatt. The Terminal Brewhouse is worth stopping by for some beer and food. Riverside Beverage Company for the best bottle selection in the city itself and for the best overall selection in the area, stop by Beverage World a few minutes away in Fort Oglethorpe, GA for all the best that Georgia has to offer without having to go too far out of the way.