Visiting Portland - Need Help with IPAs Please

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by sbrown111, May 29, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbrown111

sbrown111 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 Ohio

Hello! I will be in Portland on business from June 1-6. My boyfriend is a HUGE fan of really hoppy IPAs. We are from Cincinnati and I want to get him some really good IPAs that are only available in the NW while I'm in Portland. We were in Denver last year and he loved Pliney the Elder. He likes Sculpin, Zombie Dust, Hop Slam, to give you examples of what he likes. The hoppier the better!

I am staying downtown and was wondering if there are any places downtown where I could purchase good beer. I will have a car but will not have much time to get out.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Sally

2. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

Off hand I'd list fresh Crux Outcast and/or Half Hitch, Fort George 3-Way w/ Boneyard & Block 15 should be in shelves by then, Fort George The Optimist, Laurelwood Workhorse, Breakside India Golden Ale. These are all dated on the bottles/cans so you can see how fresh it is.

sbrown111 likes this.
  3. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Gigantic - Ginormous

sbrown111, mrgabe and ggfunk like this.
  4. sbrown111

Thank you, I will give those a try! :slight_smile:

5. ggfunk

ggfunk Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

If you can find anything from Boneyard on draft, growlers of those are highly recommended as well.

sbrown111 and Orca like this.
  6. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

As ggfunk said, anything from Boneyard, and I'll add in Barley Brown's. There's lots of good, even great, hell even drop dead amazing IPAs around here, but they all pale in comparison to Boneyard an Barley Brown's. Unfortunately, they're both draft only, so you'll have to do growlers if you want to take 'em home with ya

sbrown111 and Phobicsquirrel like this.
  7. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon

boneyard hop venom is around town. Notorious is around as well, and may be around still when you come up. barley brown's is great as well. Check out NWIPA and there are other places around as well, a lot actually.

sbrown111 likes this.
  8. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

If you're downtown, check out Whole Foods, World Foods, or Bailey's Taproom. Crux Outcast and Off Leash have been my favorites for a while now. Make sure to check those bottling dates, though.

sbrown111 and exitmusic00 like this.
  9. mrgabe

mrgabe Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Oregon

Also give us a heads up (reminder) when you arrive. Many of us can check online what is on tap at that time. Which makes it easier to tell you where to go. But in general the stuff above is all legit.

sbrown111 likes this.
  10. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Downtown unfortunately is a bottle dessert compared to other parts of the city. That doesn't mean you can't find decent bottles around though. The whole foods downtown should have a few of the below mentioned bottles.

My recommendations would be:
    • Laurelwood Workhorse (12 ounces and bombers)
    • Breakside Wanderlust (bombers)
    • Crux IPAs (though not my my favorite and verrrry expensive) (375 ml)
    • Laurelwood Green Elephant (should be out by then) (bombers)
    • Fort George Vortex / 3-way IPA (cans)
    • Goodlife Descender IPA (cans)
    As mentioned before the real Bell of the ball in the PNW is Boneyard and Barley Browns but these are on tap only. If you really love him - you'll buy him a growler of one of these.

cherche and sbrown111 like this.
  11. crowellbw

crowellbw Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Washington

In addition to everything else, I would give a vote to Oakshire's Watershed IPA and HUB's IPA (single hop Centennial preferable but regular IPA is delicious as well). Both of those in cans and very cheap.

sbrown111 likes this.
  12. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Baileys also sells bottles to go.

sbrown111 likes this.
  13. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Block 15 usually comes to town to drop off Sticky Hands on the first Wednesday of every month, so there's a slim chance you'll luck out and find some bottles of that.

sbrown111 likes this.
  14. sbrown111

Thanks for all the suggestions! From what I'm hearing, Boneyard & Barley Browns are the best. I would love to take some of that back with me, but I don't know how I would do that since I'm flying. What do you consider "verrrry expensive"? I want to surprise him with the best beer selection I can. I will have a rental car & I have some friends in town, so I could venture out, I just don't know how much time I will have in the evenings.

15. Beervana

Beervana Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2014 Canada (BC)

If you have an hour to spare, the trip over to Belmont Station is probably worth it given that you'll have a car. They have an online bottle list so that gives you a chance to scout it out a bit beforehand. Hell, you could even just have your boyfriend pick and choose what he'd like to try from the list, assuming the surprise aspect of your plan isn't too big of deal.

Phobicsquirrel and sbrown111 like this.
  16. Phobicsquirrel

Some people have got some bottle shippers and brought them on the plane with them. Others have just mailed the beer back to their home. It kind of depends on what you want to do. I haven't went on a plane since the TSA have treated people like inmates, but I hear it's easy to pack a box and have it checked in. Not sure what they charge for that though. Might be cheaper to use Fedex and mail it back.

17. air

air Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

On another note, who sells bottle shippers? I like the spirited shipper type and also prefer the styrofoam ones over cardboard.

18. Phobicsquirrel

not sure, never bought any. There was a thread a while back where someone said what shops to go too for a good price.

19. amiles

amiles Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2007 Oregon

You could keep an eye on http://imperialbottleshop.com/. They will properly cap a bottle to go for an additional fee... From time to time I've seen Boneyard Hopvenom and Notorious on tap, as well as Barely Browns.

sbrown111 likes this.
  20. mrgabe

mrgabe Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Oregon

http://www.rosecityselfstorage.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.